RCU Forums - View Single Post - All-moving wing tips
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2003, 07:37 AM
a088008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default All-moving wing tips

I have this idea floating around upsairs.

I'm in the process of designing my next aerobatic plane and want to incorporate the best possible aileron configuration.

What I'm thinking of doing is having all-moving wing tips similar to the all-moving tail surfaces found on modern jet fighters such as the F-15 Eagle, etc.

My rational is that, with all-moving wing tips (say, 1/6th of the wing span), less movement is required to produce the desired lift differential (resulting in a roll) accross the entire wing. Also, the roll moment is large since the lifting force (positive or negative) is at the wing tip, unlike convetional ailerons which change the camber of the wing along the length of the wing that has the aielron attached.

The all-moving wing tip would also be more effective and efficient since the wing tip's camber is not modified when moving.

An added, adventageous, side-effect might be that the span-wise flow (outward) would aid in the efficiency and effectiveness of the all-moving wing tip.

What I'm unsure of is what an all-moving win tip would do to the tip vorticies and how these would affect the effectiveness and efficiency of roll control. Also, what would the snap characteristics of such a configuration be?

What are your thoughts, suggestions?

-Q.
The following users liked this post:
zaumo (08-22-2020)