RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maxamps Out of their Mind????
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Lilredmachine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxamps Out of their Mind????

I want to make one thing clear, I am not necessarily against Maxamps lipos. I built a friend a brushless e-revo using a Neu motor and an MMM and a few other trick bits, when he asked what batteries to use, and stated that money wasn't really a concern to him (airline pilot ) I steered him towards Maxamps purely because yes, they offer a warranty and yes, they have a corporate face. He isn't exactly mechanically savvy and it seemed the best option should he manage to kill them making a stupid error.

My personal issue is the cost. Plain and simple. For that amount of money a genie should pop out of them every time you use them and grant you 3 wishes. Then, when you are finished and go to bed at night they should tuck you in and then they should have a full cooked breakfast ready for you in the morning. You have aknowledged that, and that is fair enough.

I am not going to make any statements directly against any other specific manufacturers. All I can say is that you will not get our cells from any other manufacturers.
I have seen a thread on RCtech where a Maxamps rep has called Turnigy cells factory seconds, rejects and low grade cells from the same production line (which kind of buggers up the 'you won't get our cells from any other manufacturer' bit). Now, it's all very well and good saying that, and whether true or not, but offering it without any evidence can be classed as libel. Of course to do that you'd have to give away where your lipos are made, and which factory produced them. Which may very well prove damaging (or a vindication) for the company. Withholding this information makes people suspicious, however simply divulging it would perhaps be unwise. I can appreciate your position on the issue, but again, I'm a fairly heavy lipo user and would really like to sample some of what Maxamps has to offer, but am not going to do so till I see some cold, hard facts. And yes, for me that is a proven 'C' rating based on voltage under load showing superior performance to competitors in the same setup. As far as I am concerned, heat, length of continuous and burst currents, overall output of the pack and voltage drop under load are all indicators of true pack performance and internal resistance and all contribute to the total performance of the pack. This can be expressed as a true 'C' rating which can be easily worked out through a real life test in a suitably hungry brushless system running a 150a eagletree setup. For example, recently an Ace Power 4000mah 2s '40c' pack was recently tested in this manner on RC-monster and found to be closer to a '25c' pack in reality.