RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maxamps Out of their Mind????
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Pecanpatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxamps Out of their Mind????

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

ORIGINAL: austinelse

1. Why are MaxAmps packs more expensive?

A. We build the packs here in the USA so our costs to build the packs are much higher than having them built overseas. It literally costs us 20 times as much labor to build a pack here.
I just noticed that RCU ate my reply that I made a couple days ago. Guess I'll rewrite some of it, since I've been following this thread.

Anyway, all I said was that the argument can pretty much end with that line of the quote. USA assembly costs are ridiculous, whether the assembly takes place in a two car garage or a facility covering two city blocks. I live in a state that was built upon manufacturing, nearly every city made something, from the furniture coming out of Grand Rapids to the cars coming out of Detroit. The cells might very well be the same as in a $10 lipo, but at least you know the assembly is decent. That's mostly the problem I've found with Chinese goods: terrible assembly quality, particularly when it comes to soldering. I've seen solder spattered all over the place, flux everywhere, and giant globular cold joints the size of a small mammal just waiting to break off. The big three may have tarnished the reputation of American made goods with their shoddy cars, but everything other than vehicles are and were always made to the highest standards here.

Those high standards are particularly useful during competition. To me, these expensive batteries fall into the category of what I like to call ''point zero zero zero one second upgrades.''

That said, MaxAmps batteries really aren't for me. I don't race, I just bash, and I certainly don't intend to buy a $200 battery only to put it into a ''what would happen if'' scenario that is all to common when I bash. [&:] Better to have it be a stick pack NiMH or maybe one of those $10 lipos.

If I were a racer though? Heck yeah. I'd be all over these because in that case, those .0001 seconds sometimes do count.
I'm glad you re-posted..... I am a racer and I appreciate Maxamps and their business model.
I am a machinist and die maker........ ask today's High school kids if they can even tell you what that is.....
It's a sad state of affairs.