RCU Forums - View Single Post - Maxamps Out of their Mind????
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 AM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maxamps Out of their Mind????

ORIGINAL: rc18junky
a Lipo 4200 3S 11.1V Flight Battery Pack is 174.99 a fair price would be 80.00 for a assembled in usa product i would pay that, the matching pack for hobbyking is 33.00 there over 5 times the price for the same 30c pack
The irony is that once upon a time a maxamps 4000 3s 11.1V was $94.99. At the time in 2007, considering the reasonable choices that were available then, this was a good price for a reasonable quality battery.

Show me any other brand where the 2010 cost is that much greater than the 2007 cost. I don't know how many people remember, but in 2007 prior to the +30% to +50% price jump, a lot more people online used them and liked them. They essentially traded word-of-mouth advertising for 'big-ticket' paid advertising. Today they have a non-proven product at a non-competitive price.

People who have been in this hobby any length of time should be able to acknowledge that word-of-mouth always trumps paid advertisements.

If he says he can't make money at $80. They were very sucessful in 2007 selling at $95. Where does that extra $50. go? At some point, they went from being a customer-driven company to a profit-driven company. I'm not saying the latter can't survive or even thrive. Just that at that time more reasonable buyers looked elsewhere for quality product at a reasonable price, ever since their price shift.

Maxamps is something of an anomaly in the modern market, they can't compete with the quality and performance of the top-end brands like Thunderpower (there is no test data out there that supports their claim of being 'the best') and they definitely can't compete in terms of competitive pricing.

And I honestly still don't understand why, if both sides want it, Brian can't test their packs in the future (or already has tested them in the past).