RCU Forums - View Single Post - Thinning epoxy with Acetone and adding filler?
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 AM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Thinning epoxy with Acetone and adding filler?

ORIGINAL: Foxman

Ok I just looked on the West Systems web site.
The mixing ratios are 3 to 1 and 5 to 1 for different resins. No mention of 1 to 1.
There is also no mention of thinning with anything. I have emailed them and asked them about acetone. I will get back when I have an answer.
I would doubt any resin manufacturer would want customers thinning their products.
The thinner would maybe come out of a thin lay up but could be trapped in a thicker one. This would weaken the structure.
I know full size aircraft manufacturers would NEVER thin their resin and they would NEVER ''add a bit more hardener''.
I can't see Burt Rutan throwing a bit of acetone in with his mix, can you?
I would think full size aircraft manufacturers all over the world have to follow the strictest rules, not just UK based ones?
NCIS why have you asked us this question? You have been doing it for 47 years so you are probably the most experienced guy here.
If you get a soft product it is because you mixed it wrong. This includes wrong mixing ratios, lack of stirring and adding thinners.
Slow setting is usually determined by the resin temperature.
Jim Fox
I wanted your opinions and also my eperience has mostly been with boats and fiberglass resins not Great Planes 30 minute epoxy. I thought this was where to ask a question if you wanted answers. I'm sorry if I broke your rules.

Barry