RCU Forums - View Single Post - Designing My First Airboat Need Advice and Pointers
Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Selph-Inflicted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Designing My First Airboat Need Advice and Pointers

ORIGINAL: charre2
1. Is this model reasonable? can it be built?
2. Total length is 24'' and width is 9'', is a size 40 engine adequate?
3. How much room should I leave on the engine stand for the fuel tank? (the engine stand is 7 inches tall to allow for even the largest size prop)
1a) Yes. 1b) Anything is possible with the right engineering.

2) If the hull is light, you could possibly run a .25. If you building for a .40 size that you have. I would make the boat about 26"x 12".

3) About a 4"x2" is the average size for the size tank that you would be running for the .40.

ORIGINAL: charre2
I plan on using air rudders, however after sitting on this model for awhile I am concerned that it will drive more like a traditional boat than the slip n slide feel that I would like from an airboat. I want the final project to be like an "airboat" not a regular boat with a propeller on it if you understand. I was going to use 1/8 modeling-grade ply for the frame and 1/16 modeling grade ply for the exterior (or "doorskin" depending on which I can find easiest) I planned on glassing just the bottom and then putting 3 coats of thinned fiberglass on the whole thing to seal it.

Also Pusher or Puller? Seems its just up to aesthetics but I plan on running this thing in a REAL swamp complete with all sorts of low hanging branches, soft patches of ground, the occasional turtle and so forth. Seems to me a pusher would be most ideal because the engine stand would act is a natural guard for the prop
When I plan a flat bottom boat, I make the bottom a few inches wider than the prop diameter I plan on using. This will give it the slide effect.

If your on a budget, you can use doorskin. I have built many out of it. If you can use the model grade ply, use it.