RCU Forums - View Single Post - Aeroworks Extra 300 60-90
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Downthrust
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aeroworks Extra 300 60-90

Thanks for the info, da Rock, and if your weight data is right, it's starting to look very promising. But low and slow is the flying I'm most interested in now, and I have had to retire my 2-strokes because they just can't cut it. I'm sure the 61 (or better yet, the 75 at the same mounting size) would be a great alternative for this airframe, but I prefer the torque of the 4-strokes, and I'll explore an electric alternative whenever possible. I am hoping that my existing electric setup is a good match with this airframe, and that was the reason for my involvement in the thread.

For anyone else considering this airframe for 3D/electric fun, I did confirm on 'another' thread that this plane has been flown at 1200 Watts and 52 Amps with a 16x8e APC prop with virtually the same motor/battery setup I had in mind. The setup is just under 40 ounces without pushrods and servo extensions. Even if you did not include the hardware/incidentals, we're still talking right around 6.5 lbs and that means a very robust 180 Watts/pound. Now the question is the 16 inch diameter. My son flies his Edge 540t with a 14x6 (O.S. 91 4-stroke) but he has tried a 15x6 as well with no clearance issues.

For the electric setup, the math says a 15x10 should output about the same power (Watts), so on paper, everything is a go and what da Rock is saying seems to support that. The 1200 Watt motor is really the 60 2-stroke Horse Power equivalent, but one can turn a 15x10 with authority, and the other will not, but it will go 90 mph. Different strokes, I guess.