RCU Forums - View Single Post - Eclipse 7 /Spectra 72 pin connection issues
Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
GSJames

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse 7 /Spectra 72 pin connection issues

I am the owner of 2 Eclipse 7's, one with the 72 mHz Spectra, and the other converted to 2.4 gHz with an aftermarket module (Hitec had not released their conversion at that time). I also have a Hitec Spectra 2.4 gHz module (promo) for use with Optima receivers when I get some. In all cases, with both transmitters, and even with a previous Eclipse 7, I have experienced an intermittent, short period, loss of signal and accompanying model loss. Having exhausted every possibility that I can think of, I believe that the problem may be due to the connection between the module and the transmitter. I have checked the transmitter pin connections on the PC board and in one case (with the advice of AT) even "refreshed" the solder joints to insure a good connection. I have even taken to using a dab of "Dr Marty's Conductive Grease" from www.rcmicroflite.com on the pins to help insure a good connection between the module and the transmitter. I STILL get occasional loss of signal. I have a couple of aftermarket synthesized 72 mHz receivers with LED's that illuminate to indicate reception and if I turn them on, and then "wiggle" the Spectra 72 module a bit, I can occasionally see the LED on the receiver blink out for a few seconds. Transmitter battery voltage is always good, typically 10.2-11.1V and I always recharge when the battery (2200 mAh NiMH) drops below about 10 V. I am using high capacity (2200 mAh, 5-cell NiMH) receiver batteries so I doubt if the problem is voltage drop off on the receiver end. Yesterday, at an RCCA combat contest, when using the aftermarket 2.4 system, about 2 minutes into a test flight I lost signal and crashed. The aftermarket 2.4 module was "beeping" indicating an internal problem (temporary power loss?). After recycling the Eclipse transmitter power, everything worked fine again. Of course, the Hitec Spectra 72 mHz module doesn't make any noise so I can't diagnose it in the same manner. I then flew the Eclipse/Spectra 72 system, and also lost that airplane, however I can't rule out simple interference on that one. As you might imagine, my frustration level is pretty high, and I have completely run out of ideas. I am even considering putting a tiny "S-bend" in the pins to insure that they make a firm, physical contact with the module sockets. I have previously sent the transmitters back for service, and they check out fine. The outstanding Hitec customer service even replaced a module and a transmitter, but STILL the problem re-occurs. Frustrating! Is there a fundamental design flaw with the way that the pins on the transmitter PC board interface with the modules? Any additional suggestions would be welcome. I am at my wits end on this one.