RCU Forums - View Single Post - Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2010, 06:54 PM
abufletcher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seidel 7-70 radial: Help me decide!

So I'm going back and forth on the idea of ordering one of the new Seidel 7-cylinder radials manufactured now in India by UMS Technologies:

http://www.umstech.in/products_allma...Engines&page=1

There are several differences between this engine and the one originally manufactured in Germany years ago. The most obvious differences are the all "silver" cylinders and pipes of the new version vs. the black of the old one and also the fact that the old version used a 6-bolt prop hub (which honestly I like MUCH more [] ). Of course, one other change is that the newer India-made version sells for almost $1000 less than the original!!! Ordered direct it would cost about $1,100 including shipping. With the strong yen this might be the best time for me to buy one.

But several doubts remain. First and foremost is whether I really have a purpose for this engine. What range of models would it fly? Would it be ridiculous over-kill to put it (initially) in a 1/4 scale Pup, for example? It's 23cm diameter would fit perfectly within the 26cm cowl! But at 1/5 scale (and a 63" wingspan) the model would probably fly with a 72 4-stroke and definitely with a 91. So at 1/4 scale a 120 would probably do the job. The Seidel has 7 0.61 cylinders and is rated at about 4HP (and weighs about 2.6 kilos). It's probably WAY too much engine for the 1/4 scale Pup. But that might be a good "first model" to fly it in.

Any other considerations? Any other warnings? Should I? Shouldn't I?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18797.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	1470436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33640.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	1470437