RCU Forums - View Single Post - BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:00 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Good Idea starting a new thread may bring some life back into the Elan builds.

Flaps, I used Robart hinges to get over that problem, drilled a hole in the stub wing tip so I could get a ply plate in and Hysoled them in.

Air Bottles, I used Robart bottles, but had to distort them to get them in, at the back of the fus under the tank plate the two horizontal ply formers (beside your bottle in the pic above) can be removed with a bit of flexing and then you can get the bottles into the air inlet to manouvre them into position, I then replace the ply formers with a couple of carbon rods this makes a better fixing for the velcro that goes around the fuel tank.

Servo mounts, never had a problem with the standard screws, only check the ply plates in the booms, they sometimes are not glued in too well.

Heat Shielding, afraid I am one of those who did not have a problem, but did use some BVM heat shield paint, always did a test start before putting on the stab in case of a hot start, never did have one, but know if I had put the stab on I would have. LOL

Gear Instalation, I used the screws provided, eventually I did rip the UC out and had to replace the beams as well as putting in T nuts and bolts, but the screws lasted well for over 50 flights on a very bumpy grass field.

Clevis, used 3mm rod and Robart horns the bolt type that line up with the profile of the surface, ball links on the servo end and the Robart supplied split clevis with split pin connection.

This all sounds like an add for Robart.

Mike