RCU Forums - View Single Post - Question for full size hornet drivers.....
Old 07-24-2010, 07:12 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for full size hornet drivers.....

The variable exhaust nozzles on the F-18 are controlled by the engines. In the first pic it seems one is at power by the VEN being closed down in the right, and one is at a lower thrust with the VEN open on the left. But, the VEN will also open like that in after burner. If he was doing a high alpha pass as reported it is likely he was in burners when he lost thrust to cause one VEN to close as it went out of after burner In the third picture you see the left engine with fire out of the VEN which shows that engine still operating, but you can't tell about the other. If he was in burners, which is common with high alpha maneuvers, the VEN's show me an engine failure in the right engine.

Just my $.02 as a Hornet power plants mech.
Thanks for the input Cowboylifesaver.

So - are the VEN's closed at low throttle and open at high throttle? He had not selected the burners yet. They only go to burner at the end of the pass when they light it up and accelerate vertically.
I also wondered that if - for any reason - the engine fails or shuts down, do the nozzles close again? or will they say in the last position?

Still would like to hear from the actual Hornet drivers as well.