RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top Flite F4U Corsair Gold Giant Scale Project
Old 07-25-2010, 11:07 PM
1UGLYPUG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite F4U Corsair Gold Giant Scale Project

I really wish I had heard from you sooner, and seen what you did to the tail section!! That is really nice looking work on the removal of the excess weight on the ribs in the horizontal stab. I wish I could remove the skin and drill out mine. I did drill a few holes in the wing main spar. But, I did do a little strengthening at the landing gear area. I glued some hardwood bracing against the spar and the landing gear ribs. I also put a couple of screws through the spar into the wood that the landing gear screw into. I figure that if a hard landing occurs or the planes hits a pot hole, all the force hits that area on the landing gear. If any of that gives way, and it moves, it would crack the whole wing structure. So I decided to add the couple of ounces at those points, since it is forward of the CG point. I circled the screws with red ink to point them out. I also show a couple of pins with rubber bands in the photo that I used to help hold the outer wing to the center section during the joining process. Really helped keeping it all up tight and in place during the process. Now if I can just figure out how to get some weight out of that tail section,,,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68952.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1473535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68600.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1473536