RCU Forums - View Single Post - Help With Saito FA-65
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help With Saito FA-65

OK, right up front, I had my first 4-cycle way back in the late 1970's. Took me this long to get over that experience. They were not all that well developed back then so I'm sure it was part me, part engine. Fast forward to 2010. I was looking around the RCU classified for a few months until I found a used Saito FA-65. The guy I bought it from was upfront about the engine. Not his, purchased as part of a garage sale, he knew the guy who owned it, said he took care of his equipment and that although it felt a little stiff from sitting around, it should run well once lubricated once again.

Downloaded the Saito manual and followed the instructions on starting. Nothing. Found that when I held my finger over the carb while starting with an electric starter I could get it to fire but it would die almost immediately. Although the Saito manual states that these engines no longer have chokes, there is a black thin plate that can be slid back a forth over the carburetor air intake. By sliding this plate a bit to cover the air intake a bit I can get the engine to run for maybe 15 seconds. Then it dies again and I have to reprime it.

I know it's almost impossible to trouble shoot things like this via long distance, based solely on my description of events, but I'm just looking for some helpful hints from those who have far more experience with these than I do.

Thanks in advance.