RCU Forums - View Single Post - crankcase sealing on gas/glow conversions
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Bradh2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankcase sealing on gas/glow conversions

I am new to gas/glow conversions and just finished up my 56cc stihl conversion. I used permatex moto1 high temp gasket maker to seal the crankcase halves.

During the initial testing, I had problems drawing fuel, but it did fire with a squirt into the carb. I took it home and broke down the carb and cleaned it. All gaskets looked good, so I did not rebuild it.

Second attempt started out good, but I noticed fuel leaking from the crankcase halves. I never did get it running other than WOT, so I broke it down and the permatex was gooey on the inside of the motor.

Has anyone had similar issues? I have read the monster thread and yamabond was mentioned, but I have not tried it yet. I also read that Right Stuff was a great sealer. I assume this problem is due to the nitro in the mix, or maybe the methanol. Has anyone had similar problems with their conversions? What did you use to seal it up?

I am getting a carb rebuild kit tomorrow, but need some idea on the best product to seal the crankcase halves that will stand up to the gas, nitro, methanol and heat. I really want to get this thing running for a test run this Sunday.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzEdC8XN2SU