RCU Forums - View Single Post - Traxxas summit
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas summit

ORIGINAL: qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: No Moa

I know very little about lipos. I know they can burn u if u don't take care of them.

and a nimh can explode and throw shrapnel everywhere, hurting you as well as pets or people around you.
Look around the forums, do a search, many more cases of nimh exploding than a lipo catching on fire.

Normally, they just puff up, and gives you quite a warning, by a few packs, before it catastrophically fails.

Fastandloud, i dont know if your a lipo fanboy, never used nimh, or just have the wrong info and dont know what your talking about, but the summit can handle 2 7 cells, and only 2s lipo.

The 7c has more power, more speed.
Lipo may have more punch, but the extra voltage does make up for it, the downfall is the discharge curve.

Actually, a $50 set of 2 2s 5000 20C HK lipos will outrun and out last any 7-cell Nimh in that price range or more. You are forgetting, that the 7c Nimh might have the voltage advantage, hot off the charger for about 2 minutes or less. The Nimh can barely handle the amp loads that the 2s 5000 lipo can handle. Therefore, you have more voltage drop under higher loads (hard acceleration for example) with the Nimh. Thus, you have less performance with Nimh. Also, Nimh tend to go bad sooner from overheating under the same conditions the Lipo will chug right along, and also the Nimh cells tend to go out of balance overtime.

No, I'm not a fan boy. I have owned SEVERAL Nimh to realize I'm done messing with them in brushless applications, at least.

I've tried and tested this, a decent 3s Lipo will beat a good 12-cell Nimh brushless setup in many cases. Note, I say many cases, not all, as there are exceptions and lots of variables, of course. There are also lots of commas in the last sentence.

Anyway, sorry to post yet another off topic post. But if the OP is not comfortable with Lipo, then I too would advise more research, and in the meantime purchase some cheap Nimh to get the job done, with a GOOD charger up front, so he can charge his Turnigy lipos when he's ready.

Back on topic, I LOVE the Summit. I current have it converted to a 4x4 Short Course style truck. The truck in its stock form, just using a couple of 2s 3700 Mah 20C batteries lasted over 40 minutes, crawling all over dead tree limbs, dirt, SUBMERGED in muddy water including the lipos. Yes, My lipos were covered in water for the most part, and it was dirty water which probably was capable of shorting out the batteries. I think the truck for what it's built for, is just fine with the stock motor and 14 volts. It's got near infinite amount of torque in 1st gear, to the point where I start to hear the gears grind because the motor wants to keep going.

If you decide to make it faster, the first thing that has to go is the stock tires. They are way too soft and slap and flop around too much at barely 15mph in 2nd gear. Something more like standard monster truck wheels/tires that are stiffer than stock ones, are perfect for higher speeds. Also, a faster motor and/or taller gearing will help. Something like the Castle Monster Mamba and 2200 motor. But I'm sure that's far down the line for the OP.