RCU Forums - View Single Post - Engiune suggestion
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engiune suggestion

ORIGINAL: jmaxey51

losi 454 is made by SH so ive been told and read alot on other forums. the losi 454 is also a great engine. about 7-8 min a tank and they will fly once fully broken in. those are good prices also.

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Helped a bunch bro, much apreciated. I do run 20% Byrons Gen and havent seen a reason to change it yet. Also contemplated an lrp 28, but i already have an lrp 30 in my savy so i thought id try something different. Ill look into the SH's as well as I have heard good things about them as well. Is the SH line the same as the losi 454, or am I thinking of Mach's?

IMO picco 28s are tons of power!! will wear out drives fast. but they are good and will last a good while. i had a SH 28 from an RTR cen matrix and that thing would haul with my jammin X1. its like 160 i think. the first gallon or two was only getting about 5-6 min a tank then it broke in finally and i was getting over 8 min. i ran 13T and it worked great but a 14T would of been better. but a picco engine is good and will last longer than an OS. but the carbs arent the best but they are great for bashing. piccos are also extremely easy to tune. same with SH. the only advice is run 20% in Picco till you get 7+ gallons threw it unless you add a shim like the manual says. hope this helps.

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Thanks for the response. Understood regarding the CB...I based it on jumping 3 teeth on my savy to 19 and figured I could make the same jump on the truggy, but 15t sounds reasonable. So if I understand you right, since I am bashing with my budget a .28 would be more appropriate? Meaning I can get more bang for my buck at .28 for a bashing setup than a slick .21 racing mill? Fuel consumption isnt much an issue for me, I understand the .28's will drink more so It's really just a question of performance at my budget. Startin to look like picco .28 could be in my truggy's future?

a JPX 21 is right at 200. we got ours for under 200 with the codes on towerhobbies or Amain. but if your bashing a 28 would be ok and on the CB there is no need for a 16T. 15T would be the highest you would even want to go. 1 tooth makes a big difference.

I personally do not like the 454 at all...its a very difficult engine to tune correctly....carb is not insulated and suffers from heat soak really badly...the Losi RTR is very popular in my region and those engines are more trouble then they are worth...they do make reasonable power tho, but their tuning characteristics suck IMO