View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Drivinfast247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Traxxas summit

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: qoisdhc oqina

ORIGINAL: No Moa

I know very little about lipos. I know they can burn u if u don't take care of them.

and a nimh can explode and throw shrapnel everywhere, hurting you as well as pets or people around you.
Look around the forums, do a search, many more cases of nimh exploding than a lipo catching on fire.

Normally, they just puff up, and gives you quite a warning, by a few packs, before it catastrophically fails.

Fastandloud, i dont know if your a lipo fanboy, never used nimh, or just have the wrong info and dont know what your talking about, but the summit can handle 2 7 cells, and only 2s lipo.

The 7c has more power, more speed.
Lipo may have more punch, but the extra voltage does make up for it, the downfall is the discharge curve.
I have never heard of one exploding besides internet posts... NIMH batteries vent when they overheat, they do not explode. They vent a very small amount of hydrogen, far less hydrogen than is needed for an actual explosion for flame. I have pushed packs to meltdown and the most that has ever happened was the heat shrink shrunk back a bit or they vented

Some good high capacity NIMH packs should suffice. LIPO is a pain and takes forever to charge... if you dont want to deal with the extra effort and precautions needed for LIPO, just pick up some NIMH packs and a duratrax intilpeak dual battery charger.
Good, high cap. NIMH packs cost about the same as a decent lipo. I can charge 2 lipos separately and faster than my buddy can charge 2 NIMH packs using a dual charger. Just saying.