RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nosen P-51 Not, giant build for Toledo Show..
Old 08-15-2010, 10:14 AM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Nosen P-51 Not, giant build for Toledo Show..

Hi Guys -

The purpose of putting this model in the Toledo show - is NOT to be scale competative ...

But rather, to show a great flying "Sport Scale" P 51 that really shows, and more importantly, flies extremely well. This aircraft has super presence when it flies. I go to a lot of meets, and when this thing goes, folks take note. I fly mine with an "Old School" Q 100 and it scoots just fine. Certainly not exact scale, but close enough to fool most... that said - I digress.

The major changes / updates on this plane are on the fuse. The "original" had some obvious issues with the fusalage profiles. George went through a detailed excercise and cut profiles as best he could to "fix" some of the glaring issues that bothered us. An example would be the rear of the fuse, very boxy and too large to look correct. One of the constraints was the spinner, the largest available is 6" - so the fuse was matched to that.... actually, the spinner should be about 6 3/8.. but we use whats available. Minor details overall, the plane looks like a P 51.

Anyway, with the airframe basics being rock solid, it is easy to add some scale detailing to make the plane present and show pretty darn well. The plane can handle the extra weight with now worries and still land at a crawl. So, that is the plan at this time

The plan updates was done for us, not to sell ... but, as others saw the plane and the way it flew, they wanted one. So, some "official" plans were updated and made. Again, I cannot stess enough how easy this plane is to fly - and land. The wing airfoil is not scale, but man does it fly !! I sold the last one as somebody "had" to have it [ $$ ].

This new P 51 build, while delayed a bit due to work, is to update my P 51 with the new updates.... the old one is still going strong with the new owner.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26566.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	1484218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35899.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1484219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62600.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	95.2 KB