RCU Forums - View Single Post - Spend my money.... Transmitter??
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spend my money.... Transmitter??

Just my opinion here but when I first began flying, I was using a Futaba 4 channel tx that came with the plane I purchased. Never had a problem with it.

When I decided to upgrade, I choose a DX6i 6 channel. Main reason I suppose is because I could afford it to begin with and the owner of my LHS recommended it as an entry level 2.4 radio that would do what I needed for quite a while. I was, and still am, happy with that radio.

I've recently gotten a JR 9503. The reason I made that move is because I recently put my first 50cc plane in the air and although the DX6i is capable of working just fine with it, I wanted something that was more capable and would serve me better in giant scale. I still have the DX6i, don't plan on getting rid of it and I have my other planes still bound to it for the time being.

Now, instead of looking at the 6 channel, you might be served better by looking at the DX7. It will take you farther in the hobby although 6 channels can get most jobs done with a little assistance from things like Y harnesses. You'll hear that a Y harness is just another failure point, and by all means it is since it is electrical, but I have a few in my planes and haven't had any issues with them.

The other part of your question about the tx involves a ton of personal preference based on brands. Me, I like the Spektrum and/or JR radios. A number of people I know have gone to the Aurora 9 and I know others that prefer.........well what ever they are flying with. In other words everyone has their own opinion on what tx is better and why. Best advise I could give would be to take a look at what is available in the number of channels you can afford, then go to the LHS or club that you're a member of (or thinking about joining) and talk with them. Put a couple different radios in your hands and see what just feels right to you. Each will have it's own "feel" and if it doesn't feel right, you won't like it.

Oh, did I mention that if you're starting out, you might want to consider looking into a club? You'll find instructors that will be happy to help you out, both with learning to fly but also with advise as to what type of equipment you might look at. It also helps to hook up with an instructor before you purchase items that you'll use to learn with. If you choose to use that particular instructor to learn how to fly, he may have good advise that you can use to make better choices when making those purchases.

Other than that, I wouldn't want to try to steer you towards one over the other simply because what I find works best in my hands may not in yours. Get a grip on a couple of different radios and go from there.

Most importantly, have fun!