RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Schweizer SGS 2-33A 1/4 scale kit
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Hangtime
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Schweizer SGS 2-33A 1/4 scale kit

Flight Test Report on the Built-Up Version

We've been barraged with requests for a built-up wing version since the original release of the kit, in answer to those requests we decided to revisit the basic design and do just that as well as add a few more extras on this plane.. such as a fully removable Fin/Rudder and Stabilizer to accommodate transport in compact vehicles. One of my larger concerns initially was the very thin tip airfoil.. rendering this with built up techniques without sacrificing wing panel strength was paramount so we went with a 7032 airfoil for the full span, building in a bit of washout. One thing that surprised us a bit when we finished was the weight.. the built up version came out 2 pounds lighter than the foam version.. perhaps Gunny's pilots are overweight.

On the first flight we launched into 15 knot wind conditions.. the tug and tow were both airborne very quickly and this 2-33 was a s smooth and stable as the first one. Off the tow, Gunny hustled the tug down quickly and came rushing up, rather breathless, and asked "Where is it?".

"Right where you left me".

Indeed, in the higher velocity air up there, the 2-33 was 'parked'. I added 2 clicks of down trim and we started to move upwind, within a few moments we were over the front of a large tree line and I started working the 'wave', tacking back and forth across the 'bump' of air off the trees. Handling was superb, while this is indeed a very large sailplane, it handles crisply and offers no surprises. I spent about 20 minutes enjoying the wave lift and then pulled back over the field to play with the bird a bit.. some big loops, a spin, then into the pattern for a landing.. seems the plane needs to be shot out of the sky, the L/D is very, very good. I believe the technical term is 'It'll thermal in a gopher fart!' Stalls are slow.. recovery fast, handling is precise even at low speed, I did a 'dot' landing where I wanted it.. and never popped the spoilers. Next flights proved the spoilers.. it does a 'space shuttle' approach with the boards out and proved very capable for short field operation in both takeoff and landing routines.

The only change the test flights proved a need for was a ballasting option.. so Gunny worked up a very neat ballasting arrangement that allows adding a few more pounds for windy days without fussing about. Details will be in the manual.

In conclusion... it's a sweetheart. Strong, smooth, competent.. a delight to fly in every way.

Well done, Gunny!

Steve