RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hanging your planes....?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Hanging your planes....?

One of the reasons to run your engines dry at the end of the day is because there will always be oil left inside the engine but it removes most of the alcohol so you don't collect moisture but there is a film of oil. Hanging them like I do is OK for short durations and I fly all year round but over time all the oil gets into the front bearing where it may harden so it's not a good idea to store them for long periods of time this way. So the story goes, I have no facts to prove it but this is what I have been taught. Take my statement with a grain of salt, I really don't know.
The oil left in the fuel tank does seem to effect the bung over time. After two years of hanging, the little Aeromaster hanging on my wall was in fine shape after I did the repairs on it. First day at the field I was having problems with the fuel getting in and I couldn't get it out at the end of the day?? Got home and pulled the tank and the bung blew out when I was pressure testing it in the sink. Age or oil?? Both?? My bad no mater what for not checking it before the plane went back together.
Hanging them like I do by the tail feathers also adds weight to the back of the plane and you can get warps over time. By hanging them by the gear like Mike does is a much better way but I only have the two bipes left and my other planes get laid flat on my ceiling racks.