RCU Forums - View Single Post - GP Patriot 40
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2010, 12:22 AM
Wingspam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP Patriot 40

Took the Patriot out to the field today, I ran a 2 tanks of fuel thru the motor before the maiden flight and it ran strong. I taxied up and down the field a couple of times and lined her up for the maiden flight, it tracked pretty well as it headed down the grass runway. It didnt really want to lift off so I just helped it along with a little extra elevator, as the plane took to the sky I saw something fall from the plane. Someone yelled I got it, as I was trying to trim out the down wind leg. A minute or so later he brought me my right landing gear that broke off smooth as glass about an inch out from the plane. Not sure what brand of retracts these are but they are just some type of cast material, there was no bend around the break just a smooth almost machine cut break. I got this plane from a friend and its been sitting in his garage since 2006 and was never flown.

So as I was flying around trying to figure out how I ws going to land this thing with only 2 wheels, I decided to make the most of it and flew it hard and fast after about 6 mins I decided I had better land and decided to do a wheels down landing. I lined it up cut back on the throttle and was suprised how fast it sank toward the ground, with just a quick burst of throttle it leveled out and plopped down to earth. There was no damage to the plane, but the pilot was in a little worse shape. Heart racing and hands shaking I packed it up and got ready for the night fly that was just a few hours away.

So now I need to replace the retracts, what brand should I go with? I am thinking of just staying with mechanical retracts.

Thanks