Community
Search
Notices
Academy Racing (MRC) Support Forum Discuss all of the Academy Racing (MRC) product line in this forum.

Team Academy - MRC/Academy racing team

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:51 AM
ThanhH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Team Academy - MRC/Academy racing team

LOOKING FOR ACCOMPLISHED TEAM DRIVERS IN THE US

The new MRC/Academy racing team is growing, with skilled drivers in Florida, California, Kentucky, Nevada, North Dakota, Michigan and Kansas. Our drivers have brought with them considerable experience; including podium finishes in national pro series as well as regional & state races. Recognized by the blue Team Academy shirts and hats, team members are track testing and running Academy’s SB Sport and SB Pro 4WD Buggies. The SB Sport V2 is brand new, and Team Academy is looking for additional accomplished drivers in the US, good enough for a factory-supported ride. The 2006 racing season is just beginning. If any drivers are interested, they can email their racing résumés along with some pics of their buggy to the Team Manager, [email protected].

Thanh

Old 05-03-2006, 06:58 PM
rschoi_75

Default RE: Team Academy - MRC/Academy racing team

Can't wait to see the team in action!

I would love to drive for you guys, but I would be more of a liability than an asset on the track. lol.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 AM
ThanhH

Thanks for the support, pvt_pile.

BTW, where do you race out in California?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Jeff_OKC
My Feedback: (1)

I use a SuperBrain charger to charge my nitro stuff, does that count?!

BTW, I know it is COMPLETELY off topic here but I wanted to commend MRC for have amazing customer support! Thanks again John!

-- Jeff --
Old 05-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Cainlord

I am out in Fargo. Got the SB V2 Sport here and will post some thoughts, tips, etc. once I get to race it.

So anything new concerning online companies carrying the Academy line? I gave ultimate a call but right now they are not sure if they are going to carry the SB V2 in stock due to sales of the ZX-5 as I was told. They can however order it.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:18 PM
academy.france

hello

sorry I do not speak too English
but I present the TEAM academy France

[link=http://team.academy.france.neuf.fr/]http://team.academy.france.neuf.fr/[/link]

Old 05-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Marcus Black

Hey guys just got on here. I am a fellow factory racer down here in Florida. Any other racers on here from Florida??? How's it going Long?
Old 05-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Long@MRC

Hey Marcus

How are things going in FL. A V2 is ready and waiting for you. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to contact me. Also, please let me know when is your next race.

Thank you
Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Cainlord

Long@MRC: do you know when the issues identified on the rc10b4.com forum are going to be addressed? These appear to be present in the USA release still.

By the way, can we expect more tire choices down the road from Grand Prix? I really like the fusions and had good luck with the truck selections, other than the foams. I would like to see more options from them.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:13 PM
rschoi_75

ORIGINAL: ThanhH

Thanks for the support, pvt_pile.

BTW, where do you race out in California?
In the LA area. I haven't gone at all for over a year, so I think its about time to start going again. Don't have much spare time lately, but I do try to run my sb sport whenever I can.

Good luck to all of you racers.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:15 PM
rschoi_75

ORIGINAL: Cainlord

By the way, can we expect more tire choices down the road from Grand Prix? I really like the fusions and had good luck with the truck selections, other than the foams. I would like to see more options from them.
Hey Cainlord,
In the mean time you can run most any 1/10th buggy tires with MRC's wheels. I run dirt hawgs and they hook-up on dirt very well.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Cainlord

Losi's mount up better than the prolines. I just like the grand prix tires and wouldn't mind seeing more options from them. The foams though need to go.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Team MRC

Hey Marcus? what you racing with a off road buggy??? I was just down there in FL for serveral years racing untill recently relocated up to the midwesst due to a death in the family...I am heading down to MISS and a few lower states as well to do some touring racing. I drive the STR-4-PRO II for them...... Sweet looking car!!! Any new on road facilities in FL???

Team MRC / Academy
B'
Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Team MRC

I am tossing some words

is

as

was

it

and

that

so this forum section stay here and looks busy for now........

Hello THERE!!!

Team MRC / Academy
B'
Old 06-24-2006, 07:02 AM
PerformanceRC

How many people and who have you got driving Academy ?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Team MRC

Actually right now it is just myself here in the U.S to my knowledge, Le nor anyone else has mentioned anything about touring members. You see everything over here is mostly off road and this is what they are promoting heavily. the new buggies they have out are really whopping some but I do hear and taking names. I chat with one guy in cali and he is doing really well with his in the mod class. I have seen the buggy they have out now if its anything made sim and adjustments wise like our str pro rides. Then it has to do pretty well if they can set them up right.

I plan do some serious traveling as well with this car as to see how far up I can go with this sponsorship and my knowledge. For instance I am doing some compound and ride hieght testing. This car is pretty simple to setup I think its just figuring out what works with what style tracks and documenting all for future refrence for myself and others academy drivers who might be new once the car picks up here in the states. I still say for now the pinks and purples work the best for carpet. I haven't done anything with outside tracks yet. My car so far remains a carpet QUEEN~ I will probably get two more cars soon from Academy / MRC. One to setup for outside and one to keep broke down for spare parts if and when needed.....I think the only thing that might wear on this car and if that is the A arms as most and if not all touring cars do during hits or wrecks.

Well need to fly heading over to the indoor track this morning and having some fun with the car... I am looking at those motors as well you suggested for stock.

Team Academy / MRC
B'

P.S. If ya need anyone to do some serious airbrush work let me know as well, I should be getting my air brush back soon. I need to do these other bodies I have sitting here.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 PM
PerformanceRC

Is there any news on who drives the SBV2 and results online?
Do you have the alternative degree Al Lower Arm Mounts?
The A arms have proven strong,... though we have had hub carriers break.
First STR4 PRO2 built was driven down 3 flights of stairs and into walls multiple times.
Took another 4 weeks of racing and bashing before they broke....driving mod...surprising durability.
We have broken ball ends, 1 A arm on a VELOX XB and on the SBV2 1 upper gearbox case where attached to rear damper stay (full speed super hard flats landing).
Surprising once again ....you should see what we make these things jump..hehehe.... and they do jump well.
We are recording and detailing the damages we do for future research and development.
Do you have any pictures of the airbrushing you do?
I am surrounded by bodies i need to finish too ...might get you to paint one up for me..
Old 06-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Team MRC

As for SBV2 drivers and results on line?? I think all the excitement of the crew at Academy really havent tossed much thought into that to be honest. I do know they need pictures of me and other team drivers... What for? maybe to walk up on us at a race and find out what were up to? OR? maybe to post on a website for others to view such as you are asking about results and testing. I will find out for us on monday if you wish?? Actually I wil do that as I am curious myself. This is actually the first company I have truely bleieved in as for a sponsorship due to the fact that everyone seems to be involved and knows what going on or atleast ask others within the companys foundation. Even the sales staff is really knowledgable about sales, racing, and tech support. That is kinda unheard of now days.

As for A arms? I will be honest i was hitting a average of nice mph and great lap tiimes at my local track today. its pretty much a tech style track and very tight. There is one very large straight as most trcks have. I clipped a corner like all of us have a time or two trying to shave some time and I nailed it pretty good. I could have SWORN!!! i broke something. I didnt move the car as I have no reverse with my Tekin. I walked over to it....YA KNOW WHAT??? nothing was wrong nor broke?? I was really impressed as well like yourself. Then the guy I was with after adjusting my droop and ride hieght a little better. I went with some firmer tires in front for additional push, We both went into a corner, He tried to go inside and wasnt enough room, he smacked the corner after nipping the dot / plow disk and broke his A arm on his corally touring car. I couldnt beleive it and niether could he. His day was done,, but mine?? I just got home and its now 11.04pm my time and I left at 12.20 this afternoon. What a fun day and time I had with my new STR-4-PRO II car!! So as for anyone saying this car is cheap, bad designed, or what ever? is sadly mistaking!!!!

As for hubs or outdrives breaking? I made my own to help keep that from happening out of some low cost tubing and a tube cutter like those on the associated 18t and 18b buggies comes with. You know there made of brass I do belive and its like the same sleave looking as our plastic ones for the rear end of the str??? Anyhow,, I use a grub screw to hold them on like a slot car rim on a axle but tighten it up on the outside outdrives...?? ya follow??? Its real simple to make a thin outer ring that goes on the outside of that outdrive to not let that groove flex or expand where the dogbone ends go into. This eliminates breaking all together. I did the same on my small scale when I ran lipos and brushless motors with all that torque..

Maybe tomorrow I might plan on doing some skydiving?? I might take it with me a see if it to survives the fall. It probably will if my hunch is right!!! <huge laugh >......stairs will never compare to this stunt huh???<LOL>.....

And as for bodies?? I will drop you a email of my small scale car in which I think I have already if this is the same group from Au. OH!! have ya seen the new MG from proline? wow! way tight and looks better in the nose than that of the mazda 6 or alfa. Real sweet maybe parma will make one lighter soon in the .030 like the ones we run now!

Sorry for the long post but allot ot chat about and brag with this str touring car from Academy!!!!! OH!! the 72 - 76 spur really had allot of torque and major speed in the infield I felt. Nice to see this car sprint around corners.....

Team Academy / MRC
Old 06-26-2006, 08:41 AM
PerformanceRC

Hey send me some pics of the shells you have painted..
I will have some cars painted up myself by next week i will post online.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Team MRC

I have only a few pict. With my art background, i never really thought they were outragous enough for me to take any. I do have a few that i could send. I'll pull them off my ole laptop. I dont really do the bodies as a money thing, its more so a hobby and keeps my art skills in check.

Well after running the car this weekend I must say its came pretty much to associated springs all around, jaco tires, and C027 motor with 38t and a 96t spur. I will be needing higher gearing for a track with longer straights than our local track. The ride hieght of 5.mm worked out perfect for my style. I ran 80wt in the fronts and 40wt in the rears. It seemed like a strange setup at first but soon after all was adjusted it worked nicely in no time.

Really like the one way also having it tight but kinda in wonderment if it actually slips just a hint when taking off full throttle. Only the inside the dif case knows,,,,,but it feals really nice in the corners...When I assmebled the car i adjusted the one way a little tight at first and used a dif tool. I tighten it so i could still move it upon est pressure of that a 540 motor.

The shock angels were all on top mount ends and camber were dead hole centerers or over top right inside or left inside mount if you look at the setup sheets. At the end of all the adjustments in order to make it comfortable and stable into the turns I ended up with a nice handling consistant car so far. I think once at a race, its just making small adjustment if indoors. Outdoors? who knows, Its stills a carpet queen so far....

I really like the 26mm jaco purple / purple orange and purple I ended up running. I realize also everyone track and findings are going to be different. These and the parmas worked really well! I actually prefered the parmas a bit more loose but my ride hieght wore down the parma tires so I finished up using the jaco and really like them overall and wear. I found also that most wheels I used really warped or were off round but the jacos? I did less tweeking with and more track time. I should have started with these tires right from the start. Pink / orange and pinks are my second choice of combo with this car. I have heard of different compounds working for this car, one color in front and a different color for rears. However, this wasnt the case in findings on carpet for me. I started out setting this car up with med fronts and soft rears. I was wrong after driving the car and picking up speeds.

I'll will be running through all my logs and notes that I jogged down from my big 9 hour dayat the track,,,,I will say, I never got bored driving this car..Very dependable car so far and like it allot.......

Oh one last note? I actually like the alfa .030 or the mazda .030 for carpet. Not really a huge different but maybe a dif in mid corner????

Team Academy / MRC
B'
Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
PerformanceRC

Do you have the SP3 XT touring car over there?
Old 06-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Team MRC

Hello,

Yes actually we do have the sp cars but to be honest? there not a huge hit. Most run other brands here in the states. I have been overseas and seen other brands and how they setup their cars. I think here in the states, everyone goes with what their buddies has or what they have a local track.

My father before he passed away drove a Academy 1/12 and really loved the car. I will also say it ran circles around the other brands when running inside on ozite or tile. He had some prob with outside tracks but I think he was like myself or I take after him, indoor tracks were our pref. I still like the indoor tracks. Its not about aircondition or heat really, its about seeing the car glide across a capret floor very gracefully. Outside it seems a little less visual to me, but watching nitro?? thats another story..

There are serveral 1/12 races here in the states. Of course the traditional 4 cell 540 classes. I went to IFMAR 1/12 nationals yearly in Florida when I lived down there. Its amazing to see a little 4 cell haul like they do. Its going to be interesting to see U.S.A. and R.O.A.R. do like jap and run the 4 cell in touring cars. i think this will happen in the next 3 years or less! They are getting still laptimes in and still holding amzing speeds with 4cell.

Team Academy / MRC
B'

P.S. Ahhh, I dropped That motor company you spoke of Team 1? a email with some info regarding their motors, I hope to hear back. Like the site and very simple to navigate.

I have 2 of Matiz with bearings left from my dad. I restored them with help from Academy.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88517.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	483577  
Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 PM
PerformanceRC

The sp3 XT is a 1/10 Touring Car still to be released here

â–* WHEEL BASE : 257mm
â–* WIDTH : F-185mm/R-188mmâ–* TREAD : F-161mm/R-164mm
â–* TOE-IN : F-ADJUSTABLE/R-0ã…¤CASTER : F-ADJUSTABLE/R-0
â–* WEIGHT : 1,300g(RUNNING WEIGHT)

With the way batteries are going 4 cell will be better power to weight

Name:	Jh17287.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	483852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70648.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	483853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88390.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	483854  
Old 06-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Team MRC

I'll let ya in on a little secret. its the same 1/12 pan car with 1/10 wheels. According to my 1/10 sp3 matiz i have and the sp3 1/12 also. I was told it was the same car via Academy just different wheels. My sp matiz is a 1/10th scale pan but??? if i change over to the sp3 1/12 wheels and run a lola or 1/12 speed body?? it is now legal to run in a 1/12 class. I was told that the mini cooper tamiya cars are the same length as well as my sp matiz. However the matiz and sp3's are built so much better. I used associated 12L bearings as well for my lowend kits. I also bought recently even a chassis,,,its the same hole pattern and all. No different but not as wide. As for the 10L it to bolts right up..... The t bars may be different in the XT to give it possible longer length ( i do not own a xt so i do not know about the t bars lenght ) but it is based on the same pan design as the sp3 and the older matiz it also uses and can use the 12L series parts from associated. It somewhat looks like the trinity car as well with the side guards off the conres toward the rear pod. Not coming off as a know it all and sorry if i am..just trying to help out if ya get one of these sp3 xt cars. I am really new to the Academy scene but the 1/12 cars and the sp3 matiz I have a very good knowledge of and TIm at Academy really helped me get mine back into good shape after years of sitting. My dad got sick and didn t race them. I like the sps cars due to they are really tuff!! I never broke down when novice drivers hit me or what ever the case was. BUT?? I've seen tons of 12L and other brands chassis, t bars and blocks wear out or break all the time. We were always up and running... This was another reason of why I chose Academy...durability and dependablitity. I see after this weekend of running that this Str-4-Pro II car is the same way, dependable like my old sp3 and matiz......Hey I may have miss-understood the words of Academy when told about the pans were alike but?? I dont think so....Let me know if you all get one. I would like to know as well if its truely 100% the same as the sp3 with graphite and upgrades...

I drove pan cars for serveral years 1/12, 1/10 delta villian and spiders along with 1/24th small scale 4whl shaft pan cars up till now. Wow, those were the days, I had a nice hyperdrive belt setups on my delta 1/12th, and 1/10th cars... Talking about quite and fast!!!

I think the pans will always be faster than touring due to less friction and weight to move. Like i said in another post,,, its going to be interesting if R.O.A.R. and I.F.M.A.R. goes with 4 cell like over in Jap is doing right now. Like I also said, there not much speed difference either due to less cell weight. I was thinking of giving it a try and seeing for myself what it was like to run a 4 cell in a touring car and get 5 minutes out of it. Hmmmmmm what gearing would that be??

Heres the sp3 matiz with 1/10 wheels. No graphite however as its a low cost car unlike the xt.. The xt looks really nice....the one orange #1 car is my national small scale car with brushless. Its was a 1/24 and ran on 11.1 lipo with 6800kv mamba. We ran these on gas tracks and indoor ozite.

Team Academy / MRC
B"

Name:	Qo40529.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	483925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10552.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	483926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr42184.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	483927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94352.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	483928  
Old 06-27-2006, 09:50 PM
Team MRC

oh forgot,,, my maitz also?? you can remove the side ways six cell strap / holder config and go with four cell or six cell saddle packs. It to has cuttouts like the first pict of the xt. The second pict looks nice and full of graphite...Very sweet!! Thats a pan car there boys and girls....
After also looking at the xt? I dont see anything dif other than the very back rear pod. It still has the same two shock / resistant bars on the side leading to the motor pod. The same or similar shock located in the center and the same tweek srews and pivots on the t bar. The white t bar looks just like the simple white fiberglass of that 10L car. Still if I had my choice?? I would still choose the Academy cars for the ease od setting up and quality....

Team Academy / MRC
B"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.