RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Academy Racing (MRC) Support Forum (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/academy-racing-mrc-support-forum-396/)
-   -   Super Brain 989 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/academy-racing-mrc-support-forum-396/5377482-super-brain-989-a.html)

Snakewriter 02-05-2007 11:39 PM

Super Brain 989

I just got my super brain 989 charger and with the exception of the instructions it's great. The instructions however suck so bad that I'm contemplating sending the damn thing back.

There's noting in there about how to charge a 12V Gel cell.

They should have a "Flow Chart" as to how to set the charger for how to charge different types of cells.

bekk 11-04-2009 12:49 PM

RE: Super Brain 989

I have to agree that the manual leaves most people scratching their heads. I've has to study the manual but still don't know how to do what I bought it for. I was hopeful to find help on this forum but there are only a handful of threads regarding the 989. It is a great charger for the basics but someone like myself who wants to go deeper into it's advanced functions will be left experimenting alone.

ahr43 03-18-2010 09:59 AM

<span style="font-size: small">This is kind of an old thread, but as long as I'm here in Academy/MRC, I'll add my comments.

I photocopied the manual. Then penciled in and high-lighted </span><span style="font-size: small">989 Field Manual - ahr43</span><span style="font-size: small">. That way I can pencil in what works for me in the margins or on the back of the sheet. I do mostly simple charge / discharge of LiPo's at a 2amp charge rate and 4 amp discharge rate. I also use it for charging a nitro receiver pack.

Agree with Snake in that it doesn't provide much guidance on how to charge a 12V gel-cell. I used one for years in a nitro starter box as a pit power supply for the 989. Always re-charged it from another source, not the 989.

For me, the only realshortcoming of the 989 is the little green plug on the output side. The tiny set screws that secure the charging leads loosen up frequently and require constant attention. That detracts from it's usefullness as a field charger. It's o.k. for shop use.

I'd like a backlit field too. But, like so many other chargers, it doesn't feature one. I do night racing in San Antonio during the hot summer months.I pit what I call a "cold camp". Meaning I don't use 115vac or a generator. I rely on 12vdc. That gives me flexibility in choosing a pit site and lightens the load I pack. That also means I have less pit light than most, so backlighting would be a nice feature.

Overall, I rate the 989 acceptable. I still use it mostly because there are so many chargers out now that I don't know which one to buy, so stick with what works for me, the MRC 989 Super Brain.</span>

bekk 04-15-2010 08:21 AM

That would have been a nice feature. Sometimes during indoor events, it is difficult to read a screen without backlighting. I am now in the same boat as snakewriter trying to charge a 12v gel with the 989. I'd seen a post on here where you set the 989 to lead acid mode and choose 2 cell but the cycle ended too quickly so I left it trickle charging all night. This is a brand new battery and can only hope I didn't just screw it up.

ElectricGuy007 04-26-2010 08:15 AM

I have yet to try this most advanced charger of the MRC Name. People at the track however like the charger.
But most hardcore Lipo users at the track are going to the Hyperion chargers. I dont much know
about hyperion so I'll stick with my MRC chargers because of the first rate quality customer service.
Hyperion doesnt have the support to lead up to thier name apparantly.