Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

"spylinker" reciever voltage

Old 09-19-2003, 05:47 AM
Sensiblenick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "spylinker" reciever voltage

Hi All...
Like many of you I have a couple of Spylinker systems, (two 800mw systems)... and am wondering if it's ok to power the reciever from a 12v battery.

I'm aware of the voltage regulator in the camera circuitry, but I'd be happier to leve the Rx running instead of running over to turn it off all the time!!

so.. is it ok to run it with that system?

thanks,,

Nick.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: "spylinker" reciever voltage

My father opened his up and says there is a voltage regulator inside the rx. I have several of these receivers from different vendors and regularly use em with a 12v source.
I will go out and hook up a Spylinker rx on my 12v flight box tonight to make absolutely sure. Some of the other vendor's rx's I have are marked either 12v or 9v but I have run the 9v ones on 12v.
ORIGINAL: Sensiblenick

Hi All...
Like many of you I have a couple of Spylinker systems, (two 800mw systems)... and am wondering if it's ok to power the reciever from a 12v battery.

I'm aware of the voltage regulator in the camera circuitry, but I'd be happier to leve the Rx running instead of running over to turn it off all the time!!

so.. is it ok to run it with that system?

thanks,,

Nick.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:24 PM
XJet
Banned

Just to confuse things -- I've got two of these receivers. One is labeled 12V and has an internal regulator, the other is labeled 9V and doesn't.

It's pretty easy to work out which type you have because you'll spot the gap on the PC board where the regulator should go if yours is a 9V unit. If this is still unclear, I'll upload a side-by-side comparison photo if you like.

I would not recommend running the 9V receiver on 12V.

I also found out the hard way that although the documentation that came with mine says you can power the 1500mW transmitter from 12V, it'll self-destruct if you use more than 9V.

I'm on my second RF output transistor already (the other one failed when the antenna connector vibrated loose).
Old 09-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Fubar-One

I have several of these rx's both labeled 9v and 12v. I am running one of the 9v ones on 12v. It is not one I purchased from Spylinker but from another dealer. Same unit tho with a different graphic.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:26 AM
Sensiblenick

Thanks for the input guys.

Fubar... I'm inclined to agree with you, but I'll open one of mine up and see if there's a voltage control chip in it. If not... well, I'll just have to keep on running it the way I do (with 4 aa batteries creating 6volts.) It works just fine that way, but it'd be nice to be able to run the (video) camera and Rx from the same whacking great 12v battery )

happy flying.

N.
Old 09-25-2003, 04:30 AM
XJet
Banned

Just as a matter of interest to those who have the Spylinker 1500mW transmitter -- mine came with documentation that said it would run on 12V -- but there was a sticker on it which said 9V and the wall-warts provided were 9V.

Well I can tell you that they won't run on 12V -- at least not for more than a few microseconds :-)

The RF output transistors won't handle that voltage and they appear to be BLT71's which are really marginal even on 9V. Clearly these units are made to a price and sold for a lot more than they're actually worth.

I've fixed my transmitter but will be operating it at just 7.2V for the time being - where the power output seems to be around 650mW. This is a whole lot safer than pushing them to (and beyond) the limits of the semiconductors inside.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Fubar-One

Thanks for the info!
Would be pretty PO'd if I had bought one of these and smoked it using one of the 12v packs I made for my Supercircuits system.