Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Thinking of sending up a video camera

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Thinking of sending up a video camera

Old 09-19-2003, 09:05 AM
Zaxxon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of sending up a video camera

Well, after reading and watching all these great video shots you are getting, I too want to contribute and post some video. (Fubar-One, great video, but you need a new runway. Everytime I watch the video I just want to take a shovel and clear all the rocks and brush on that runway)

Anyway, all I have right now is a Firebird Commander 3-Ch. I was thinking of taping a small video stick to the side and captuing about 30 or 60 sec of video. What do you guys think? Should I try it, or wait until I get my .40 trainer built? Also, I know this has been asked and I have read about it many times on the forum, but I really like the park flyers (electric) over the gas engines. How much ACTUAL time do you get with a 4-5 channel park flyer (flight time)?

Thanks in advance

Zaxxon
Old 09-19-2003, 01:00 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Thinking of sending up a video camera

There are a lot of variables, but I have some that only get 8 minutes and some that get 20 minutes.

Jason
Old 09-19-2003, 02:45 PM
Zaxxon

I'm really torn as far as what to get. The local club mostly flies gas powered planes, but I really like the fact that electric is much easier to deal with. I guess I'm posting this question in the wrong area since this is the park flyer forum. But is there anyone that has both? What do you fly the most?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:54 PM
bugleboy
My Feedback: (8)

Zaxxon:

I have both and fly both. However I fly electric most often. To get a good electric sport plane, it will typically cost you just as much if not more than glow. I like the size, sound and power of glow. Right now I fly more electric, because of the convinence. I can go fly at the local school. It is also a lot less mess, and my plane will always start at the field.

Ultra Stick .40 (engine $109 + plane ARF $125 + fuel $13 + glow starter $15 = $262 minus radio)

Switchback Sport (electric) (plane kit $55 + covering and building supplies $35 + Brushless motor $75 + BL ESC $55 + Lithium Batteries $55 + Lithium charger $50 + gearbox $10 = $280 minus radio)

Both are very sporty aerobatic planes. Things like brushless motors and lithium-poly batteries are expensive but can turn a sedate or decent electric plane into one you don't want to stop flying! Plus it can give you 20 minute or more of aerobatic flight.

Jason
Old 09-19-2003, 07:36 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

One big advantage of an electric over a glow powered plane is being able to kill the motor whenever you want and fire it back up again. You will get less vibration (generally) from an electric.
The downside, of course, is lack of power and short flight times unless you go for high dollar motors and batteries.
A .40 sized trainer will carry a bigger video system/battery than a small park flyer.
A park flyer needs a much smaller space to fly in and is a LOT quieter.
Today I got my hands on my father's Multiplex Smiley (similar to the Movie Star) and will be experimenting with video on it when I get a chance. Dont think it will carry a 35mm camera but I might give it a shot. Will definitely lift my Spylinker system and BlackwidowAV camera!
Also got an Airmadillo K40 SPAD from him which has possiblities. The fuse is a length of square stock aluminum which just BEGS to have stuff (Cameras!) fastened to it.

If you have a video stick, and think the Firebird will lift it, by all means, stick that sucker on it and give it a shot! A lot of guys are using Slow Sticks with good success too. However it works out, it will be a learning experience and show you first hand what works, what doesnt work, and give you ideas for what MIGHT work.
It will give you a good starting point and help you decide where you want to go next.

I agree, my field stinks, but until I can get my father to learn to land in anything other than a vast open space, its what we are stuck with. He FINALLY got himself a Sig LT40 just for learning take offs and landings with so maybe soon we can start flying at the club field we belong to!
ORIGINAL: Zaxxon

Well, after reading and watching all these great video shots you are getting, I too want to contribute and post some video. (Fubar-One, great video, but you need a new runway. Everytime I watch the video I just want to take a shovel and clear all the rocks and brush on that runway)

Anyway, all I have right now is a Firebird Commander 3-Ch. I was thinking of taping a small video stick to the side and captuing about 30 or 60 sec of video. What do you guys think? Should I try it, or wait until I get my .40 trainer built? Also, I know this has been asked and I have read about it many times on the forum, but I really like the park flyers (electric) over the gas engines. How much ACTUAL time do you get with a 4-5 channel park flyer (flight time)?

Thanks in advance

Zaxxon
Old 09-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Zaxxon

Thanks Bugleboy and Fubar-One for the information. I think I am going to halt production on my Aero-Star .40 and get an Electric. I've had my eye on this really nice P-51 at the local hobby store. Although, I would really like to put retracts on it and I don not know if I need a 4 channel or 5. Do the ailerons need 2 channels?

1 servo - Rudder
1 servo - Elevator
1 or 2 seros? - Ailerons?

1 servo retracts?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Zaxxon
Old 09-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Fubar-One

Depends on how you want to set it up. Unless you want a flaperon option (ailerons will lower like flaps) one channel is all you need. 1 servo, one channel. 2 servos, Y connector and one channel.
If you want retracts you will need at least a 5th channel.

Thanks Bugleboy and Fubar-One for the information. I think I am going to halt production on my Aero-Star .40 and get an Electric. I've had my eye on this really nice P-51 at the local hobby store. Although, I would really like to put retracts on it and I don not know if I need a 4 channel or 5. Do the ailerons need 2 channels?

1 servo - Rudder
1 servo - Elevator
1 or 2 seros? - Ailerons?

1 servo retracts?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Zaxxon
Old 09-21-2003, 03:45 PM
Zaxxon

Thanks for the info Fubar-One, I would really like to have the ailerons act as flaps as well. I will start looking for a 5 or more channel radio. BTW, I really like your site, great videos.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Fubar-One

OK, if you are going to want to do flaperons, AND retracts, you will need a 6 channel radio.

Thanks for the info Fubar-One, I would really like to have the ailerons act as flaps as well. I will start looking for a 5 or more channel radio. BTW, I really like your site, great videos.