Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Any Suggestions or Comments on this setup?

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Any Suggestions or Comments on this setup?

Old 09-27-2003, 02:55 PM
bribri543

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Suggestions or Comments on this setup?

Hi, I'm testing out aerial photography with this inexpensive digital camera I got a few years ago. Will this setup work? The CG is the same is it was w/out the camera. I will have to hit the button on the cam, and fly as high as I can in 15 seconds until I get my extra servo. If anyone sees any problems with this setup, please tell me, and just to let you know, I will put the strap around the stick so if the rubberbands break, it will just hang down without falling to its death. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22008.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	64088  
Old 09-27-2003, 03:41 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

Default RE: Any Suggestions or Comments on this setup?

Looks like that setup will catch alot of air. Try the underside lookin down
Old 09-27-2003, 04:41 PM
bribri543

OK, I'll try that, I didn't even think of the aerodynamics...

Another question, can I go for the cheapest servo to take the picture, as long as its compatible?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68740.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	64107  
Old 09-27-2003, 05:51 PM
Sincraft

May I make a suggestion?

-Take the camera and hold it in your right hand. Take something else similar (like a balsa block) in size and weight and hold it in our left hand. Do the balance test with your hands and see if they are similar in weight.

-Take the similar weighted item and the camera to the post office and have them both weighed. Explain what you are doing, and go early in the morning when they are not busy yet. (they do look at you strange)

Once you have all that, you can strap it to the bottom and see if the thing WILL FLY before smashing both your plane and the camera

S
Old 09-27-2003, 11:52 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

I used a CS 20 that I happened to have laying around to operate the button on a Pentax 35mm airborne camera. Stuck it to the camera with double sided carpet tape. All it has to do is rotate the servo arm to push the button. Any servo that has enough beans to do that would be fine.
ORIGINAL: bribri543

OK, I'll try that, I didn't even think of the aerodynamics...

Another question, can I go for the cheapest servo to take the picture, as long as its compatible?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:12 PM
yb2normal

I agree with Dan, virtually any small servo will do the trick. I use a Hitec HS55 for my shutter button. I superglued the servo to the top of the camera and plugged it into my gear channel. With the control horn removed, I flipped the gear switch on the tx so the servo was in it's 'shutter pressed' position, then I put the control horn back on the servo so it was just touching the shutter button (or pressing it slightly in my case). Then I flipped the gear switch to the 'unpressed' position, and then pulled the control horn off and rotated it exactly one gears-mesh worth down. Switching the gear channel back to the pressed position brought the control horn down just enough to press the shutter, without binding the servo too badly.

Regards,
Bill
Old 09-28-2003, 06:23 PM
bribri543

That sounds like a good idea, I just have to wait till I can head up to my hobby shop this week. Thanks again for the info everyone!

If anyone wants to see a quick little dumb video I made of my landing, woooooo, its here...

[link=http://www.geocities.com/bribri543/gallery]Scroll Down to the link after you click...[/link] and perhaps download one of my desktops?
Old 09-29-2003, 04:37 PM
CrispyCritter
My Feedback: (26)

I used velcro for my mini-servo on my 35 mm camera box but also used a couple of zip-ties to make it a little more sturdy. I have a video my daughter took of my dog playing with the ball. It is the first video with my new digital camera that I got on Ebay. It is a CCD, uses 2 AA batteries and with a 64mb media card can shoot 4 minutes of video. (Camera, 64 mb card and shipping $150.00) I am working on a box to mount on my plane so haven't had it in the air yet but my dog video came out pretty good with Movie Maker 2 on my computer. Maybe this coming weekend I can get it airborne. [8D]