Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

First Video

Old 10-05-2003, 03:20 PM
CrispyCritter
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Video

Hopefullly this works. This is my first aerial video and my first post of a video. It is blurry because it is on the top of the wing on my trainer. I used a lens from an old flashlight on the front of my box to protect the camera and it got fuel on it. Notice the lack of propeller "motion" This is a CCD digital camera with a 64 MB card for about 4 minutes of video. For some reason the balance was off although it was mounted on the CG so that is why the up and down. Anyway, here it is.

http://www.rcsites.net/crispycritter/movie/
Old 10-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Ensignnolo

Default RE: First Video

Nice! It's always a case of experimenting to get things right. My first video wasn't very pretty!

Good job.

Ensignnolo
Old 10-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Good start! Was cool as anything when the music started. Im guessing that the entire clip didnt upload?
Trust me, I NEVER posted any of MY first attempts at video.
Actually, lemme see if I still have the footage I took of the first all in one camera that I stuck on a stick rubberbanded to the fuse of my Kaos. Talk about some UGLY video! Will post it if I can find it.
It all takes practice and learning what you can do with the software. Im still no where near where I want to go with it but Im learning.
Ah yes, the old Engine Slime On The Lens Trick!
Did you actually check the balance of the plane with the camera installed? If it balanced well on the ground, you may be running into wind resistance of the camera pulling the nose up. Ran into that with one of my first attempts at airborne video. Was more like Short Hop Video! The housing I built, while pretty as HECK (moderate THAT out!) if I do say so myself, was too big and did a great airbrake impression. If its balancing properly while static, maybe moving forward and making the plane a bit more nose heavy might help. I could be wrong!

Keep up the good work! More! More! We want more!
ORIGINAL: CrispyCritter

Hopefullly this works. This is my first aerial video and my first post of a video. It is blurry because it is on the top of the wing on my trainer. I used a lens from an old flashlight on the front of my box to protect the camera and it got fuel on it. Notice the lack of propeller "motion" This is a CCD digital camera with a 64 MB card for about 4 minutes of video. For some reason the balance was off although it was mounted on the CG so that is why the up and down. Anyway, here it is.

http://www.rcsites.net/crispycritter/movie/
Old 10-05-2003, 08:27 PM
CrispyCritter

I don't know why it didn't all load but I can try again. I shot some more today mounted on my biplane pointed to the side. It turned out a lot better but was late in the afternoon/early evening so the sun was hitting pretty much straight on the side going south. So tell me, this unedited video was 5 minutes 25 seconds and showed like 39 MB. When I saved it at about 2 1/2 minutes it is still 11 MB. (I don't have the music in yet) Anyway to cut this down? Like you said, experimentation with the software will help. Thanks for your input.

Bruce[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 10-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Fubar-One

Depends on the program used to render it, but with Studio 8 I can select from different resolutions and so forth to cut down the file size. Besides Low, Medium, and High, I can go into a custom menu and decide whether to select for 28.8, 56K dialup, DSL, Broadband, High Broadband and the like. For a clip Im working on right now that runs 3:16 in length, rendering it at "Video for Broadband NTSC (384 kbps)" will give me a wmv file that is around 8 megs in size. 256 kbps makes the same file 5.2 megs. My
"Hi Res" files run at 768 kbps which makes that movie 16.3 megs. Unfortunately, this kinda screws it up for the dialup folks.[]
Quite often I will make an internet version and a much higher version to burn to disc. I also render em back to my digital camcorder so I can show em to friends offline. Need to copy those to a VHS tho...

ORIGINAL: CrispyCritter

I don't know why it didn't all load but I can try again. I shot some more today mounted on my biplane pointed to the side. It turned out a lot better but was late in the afternoon/early evening so the sun was hitting pretty much straight on the side going south. So tell me, this unedited video was 5 minutes 25 seconds and showed like 39 MB. When I saved it at about 2 1/2 minutes it is still 11 MB. (I don't have the music in yet) Anyway to cut this down? Like you said, experimentation with the software will help. Thanks for your input.

Bruce[sm=sunsmiley.gif]
Old 10-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Fubar-One

Decided to inflict, uh, share my FIRST airborne vide efforts with the group.

First video was shot using one of those All-In-One camera/tx setups that are flooding Ebay. This is NOT a Spylinker system. It actually cost me about $100 and was the first system I bought. Junkarooni! It was mounted on a 6" length of balsa stock using double sided carpet tape. The stick was then rubberbanded to the side of my Tower Hobbies Kaos (kit built). Mostly wanted to see what would happen. I think I was getting interference from the video system as the Kaos was not acting right. Powered by a ST .51 which makes the plane really scoot, this made for a very interesting flight.

[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/Video Kaos 1.wmv]Video Kaos 1[/link]

Second video used the same camera/tx system but was mounted on an EPP slope combat glider. Same glider used for "Grass Wired" which is my Blair Witch-like video. Was the last time I used that system. Right after that, I purchased both the Spylinker system and the Supercircuits system.

[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/Slope Wired.wmv]Slope Wired Video[/link]

These experiments taught me a lot.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:25 AM
rons_29445

Fubar,
Where are you getting your songs for the vids? I like them and would lioke to try some once I receive my 1.2gig cams.
Thanks
Ron
Old 10-06-2003, 02:57 PM
PINETAR

Great job on the VIDEO!! Please forward your setup info... I have tried 5 setups and get no where close to the reception you got. I have wasted $500 so far.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 04:02 PM
CrispyCritter

If you are refering to my setup, it is a digital camera with a memory card that gives it about 4 minutes of video. It is a Brica Digiart 360 that I got off of Ebay or try wosmile.com I got the card from another place that I'll have to look up but you can get them just about anywhere. The total including shipping from 2 places was about $150 . I am going to repost my first video because it got cut short somehow. I took some more video this past weekend that is better because I didn't have fuel on the lens protector. I am editing it and putting music under it so it will be a couple of days until I can post it. BTW, the timer on this last video said 5 minutes and 25 seconds. If you were refering to Fubars setup he is the guy to talk to about the spylinker type cameras.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2003, 06:01 PM
yb2normal

Dan,

The Enya music goes really well with the surrealistic waviness of the Kaos video

I just bought a copy of Pinnacle Studio 8 and really like it so far.

Regards,
Bill
Old 10-06-2003, 07:19 PM
Fubar-One

They are all just MP3's I happened to have available. The wavy gravy Kaos video used a song by Enya that I ripped from the Paint the Sky with Stars CD.
The Slope Wired video uses a song by the Propellerheads called Go Faster.
As for selection, it depends on the length of the video sometimes or what mood I am after for the video. Sometimes it depends on the mood Im in. The Kaos video was shot as you see it with no editing other than cutting off the end after it landed. The Enya song was picked because it was closest in duration to the duration of the video itself. Worked pretty good too music wise.
ORIGINAL: rons_29445

Fubar,
Where are you getting your songs for the vids? I like them and would lioke to try some once I receive my 1.2gig cams.
Thanks
Ron
Old 10-06-2003, 07:51 PM
wings

I am kinda interested in getting a cam for my plane some day. I liked your video, but why is it so jumpy. I'd be mad if I paid money for that cam. Is it the way you mounted it, or is it always like that. I need to know so I won't get that one, lol.

Wings