Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Was: First Video, new thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was: First Video, new thread.

Answering a post by Wings in a new thread so I dont keep highjacking the thread by CrispyCritter. Sorry dude![X(]
ORIGINAL: wings

I am kinda interested in getting a cam for my plane some day. I liked your video, but why is it so jumpy. I'd be mad if I paid money for that cam. Is it the way you mounted it, or is it always like that. I need to know so I won't get that one, lol.Wings
The Kaos video used a one piece cam/tx unit. Very little range and the rx was just sitting on a table. The cam/tx unit itself was stuck on the end of a stick, literally, which was then rubberbanded to the side of the Kaos fuse so that it stuck up about 2" from the top of the fuse. No effort was made to dampen vibrations and that mounting "system" was about the worst way to go about it.
Also, that particular cam/tx unit was a piece of crap. Was the first unit I tried out.
On the Grass Wired video, that is the same cam/tx unit but stuck to the top of an EPP slope glider. The rx was just sitting on top of a field box with many spectators walking thru the line of sight between it and the plane.
And the unit was a piece of crap.
If you check out Grass Wired, this used a system by Spylinker which worked quite a bit better. It claims to have an 800mw output. I also mounted the rx up on a mast to keep it above head height which also helped.
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/RC/Movies/Grass%20Wired.wmv]Grass Wired[/link]
The video still looks a quite jerky but this is due to having the combat glider switched to full throws and a high choppy wind.
Be advised that both of these systems operate on 1.2ghz which is a no-no. I had been recommending the Spylinker as a great entry level system before I was made aware (boy howdy, was I made aware!) of this fact.
Honestly, it looks like ALL wireless video systems on Ebay are on 1.2ghz so I wasnt alone. The Spylinker 800mw still works well and is about the cheapest system you can find. The 1500mw system he sells, however, is junk. Havent heard of anyone having ANY luck with it other than bad. As in smoke.
Another video to check out, if you would like, would be my Blackwidow Cam 2 video.
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/BlackWidow Cam 2.wmv]Blackwidow Cam 2[/link]
This uses the Spylinker 800mw system with a BlackwidowAV.com CX161 CCD camera. GREAT camera and well worth the money.
There are other videos to be seen using other systems including one that compares 3 different systems in the same video, on my webpage.
[link=http://fubar1.freeservers.com/rc/movies/movies.html]Fubar's Flix![/link]

Bottom line:
The Spylinker 800mw system ($50 or so with shipping) works well if you put the rx up on a mast and shield the camera from glare such as:

It operates on 1.2ghz which is a no-no as I said.
The Supercircuits system shown in another video on my page has a fantastic picture but we are having probs with range. It costs about $350 and operates on 900mhz which is legal for Hams to operate on. Wouldnt buy another but havent given up on it yet!
I havent actually tried one of his systems yet other than the CCD camera he sells, but I plan, in the future, to purchase one of the 2.4ghz (legal for Hams) systems that BlackWidowAV.com sells, the 600mw one in particular. Maybe if I keep plugging his systems I can get a discount?
Anyway, I would give his site a look see.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:45 AM
TOMAPOWA

Default RE: Was: First Video, new thread.

Here's an interesting video I put together after taking some video footage using my 800mW wireless system (w/ panasonic CCD camera) using my Kyosho Soarus Glider. The wireless camera is also two-axis pannable via two micro servos.

[link=http://members.cox.net/tomsrc/Wireless-Video-Sept-07-2003.wmv]http://members.cox.net/tomsrc/Wireless-Video-Sept-07-2003.wmv[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73128.gif
Views:	10
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	66042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95119.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	66043  
Old 10-07-2003, 08:37 PM
Fubar-One

Very nice!
I have the equip to do the two axis camera setup but worried about vibration so didnt use it. Might give it a shot if I get the reception problem solved with the 900mhz system.
That camera rocks, doesnt it? Who was the artist that did the music that you used?
Keep em coming, dude!
ORIGINAL: TOMAPOWA

Here's an interesting video I put together after taking some video footage using my 800mW wireless system (w/ panasonic CCD camera) using my Kyosho Soarus Glider. The wireless camera is also two-axis pannable via two micro servos.

[link=http://members.cox.net/tomsrc/Wireless-Video-Sept-07-2003.wmv]http://members.cox.net/tomsrc/Wireless-Video-Sept-07-2003.wmv[/link]
Old 10-07-2003, 09:17 PM
CrispyCritter
My Feedback: (26)

Not a problem FUBAR but I am having a problem uploading video's. Maybe you can help me too. Here is a "link" to my second video. It is on RCsites.net but I cant get the whole thing to load. I am open to any suggestions.

http://www.rcsites.net/crispycritter...AIL%20AWAY.wmv
Old 10-08-2003, 01:09 AM
Fubar-One

Dang!
Starts out real nice too!
I use a program called WS FTP95 to upload my programs to my website. I have a couple of videos on RCsites myself:
[link=http://www.rcsites.net/fubar1/US 1.wmv]Ultra Stick video[/link]
and mine seem to have loaded up ok. What is the size of your video supposed to be? Is it possible you have run out of space on the site? 15 megs isnt much for videos! Ran into that same problem when I tried to add a third video even tho there should have been enough space.
Are you using dial up, DSL, or Broadband?
ORIGINAL: CrispyCritter

Not a problem FUBAR but I am having a problem uploading video's. Maybe you can help me too. Here is a "link" to my second video. It is on RCsites.net but I cant get the whole thing to load. I am open to any suggestions.

Old 10-08-2003, 07:25 AM
rons_29445

Fubar,
Thanks for the input on the MP3's
Now, what editing software do you recommend?
I had a copy of Adobe Premier, but don't know if it is still in my archives or not.
Ron
Old 10-08-2003, 07:30 AM
Fubar-One

I use Pinnacle Systems Studio 8. Works great and is easy to learn. I have a copy of Adobe Premier which, while being a superior program, is too complicated and takes entirely too long to learn to use. I want to make videos, not spend all my time trying to figure out the program! Just dont have the time. One of these days maybe...
ORIGINAL: rons_29445

Fubar,
Thanks for the input on the MP3's
Now, what editing software do you recommend?
I had a copy of Adobe Premier, but don't know if it is still in my archives or not.
Ron
Old 10-08-2003, 07:39 AM
rons_29445

I hear ya.
I think thats why it is in archive and not in use.
Thanks
Ron
Old 10-08-2003, 08:29 AM
CrispyCritter

Ron, if you have Windows XP there is a Movie Maker software that comes with it. You can then get a free upgrade to Movie Maker 2. That is what I am using to put my videos together. I just cant get them to upload. Good luck. Fubar, according to the files, they are around 3MB. I check the space and it is only loading like 300kb. I noticed on your posts somthing about ...freeservers.com... Is that another website like rcsites.net? While the videos are similar, adding different music is what I like about this. Thanks Fubar
Old 10-08-2003, 09:58 AM
rons_29445

Thanks Crispy
I do have XP all around me and played with it a bit.. I think that this will do the trick.
Thanks again
Ron
Old 10-08-2003, 05:09 PM
CrispyCritter

Ok, I downloaded it from work with DSL and the whole thing loaded. Hopefully it works for everyone else. It showed over 8mb for 2:26 minutes. As far as sound, I work for a radio station so I have access to lots of songs and sound effects :-) I have more ideas than videos!

Bruce

Old 10-08-2003, 06:16 PM
rons_29445

Crispy,
That was great.. I especially liked the ending.. boomp... hope ya didn't break a prop.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:23 PM
CrispyCritter

Oh yeah, uuh, nope no broken prop. My gear had been bent back a little so it just tiped over. Fortunately I didn't have to walk very far.
Old 10-08-2003, 08:57 PM
Fubar-One

Excellent!
Was very cool when it flew by you during landing. Man, I gotta move. You guys have such nice places to fly from. Here in So Cal, unless you want to fly at the freeway known as Sepulveda Basin, you can only fly in areas so crummy that the building companys wont touch it. Most halfway decent fields get taken over by housing developments out here. Sucks.
I can relate to the more ideas than videos bit. My father is usually my camera man and tho I love him dearly, he leaves a lot to be desired as a camera man.
Were you using a dialup connection to upload your videos the first times? Maybe the connection was timing out or something.
Freeservers.com is where I have my website but I am using one of the upgraded packages for a monthly fee. I have the Webmaster package which gives me 500 megs of banner free space, 200 meg file size. There is also a free package with banners and several packages in between.
I need to update my site soon and clear out the old debris. And put in NEW debris!
ORIGINAL: CrispyCritter

Ok, I downloaded it from work with DSL and the whole thing loaded. Hopefully it works for everyone else. It showed over 8mb for 2:26 minutes. As far as sound, I work for a radio station so I have access to lots of songs and sound effects :-) I have more ideas than videos!

Bruce

Old 10-09-2003, 05:30 AM
rons_29445

Well I guess I get to cheat.
I am on cable and have my own Dell Poweredge Server. I think I have at least 90gigs of space for my websites, ftpsites and mailserver. And since the hits to the sites are not al that busy, the cable co. leaves me alone about it.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:25 AM
CrispyCritter

Just a note about our field. It is just a year old. Although I do live in rural America, this is about the 5th or 6th field we have had in 10 years. I think we will have this one for a while. We have a lease and first option to buy. Plus the farmer who leases it to us is letting someone else pick the hay around us. And the best part for me? I can see the field gate from my house. :-) The canal that showed up in the video is water that is diverted from a river to run through a power station and then back to the river. For awhile we were allowed to pump water from it to water the field. But then someone stole our pump so we dug a well on the site. Sometime soon I will send video from the place I learned to fly. It is a full scale airstrip with grass runway. The owner and his 3 sons fly full scale planes. Between the 4 of them, they have 8 planes, all sport planes and 2 are Osh Kosh Grand Champions.

Bruce
Old 10-09-2003, 04:32 PM
antslake

Hey Fubar, I watched your stick video and it was a nice video. I would just like to recommend one thing to you. If you have this option, set the focus of the video camera on infinte (or landscape)to better keep the plane in focus when so far out. The auto focus has a hard time locking on to something so small.
Just remember to turn it off when going to video something close then.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Fubar-One

Yeah, we keep forgetting to set for infinite. The autofocus REALLY hates cloudy days! Unfortunately, my Dad's eyes aint that good anymore so he has a hard time keeping the plane in sight. He will then drop the camcorder downwards while he re-aquires the plane then brings the camcorder back up. I have an AMAZING amount of footage of the ground at his feet...[&:]
Doesnt help when he has no idea which way Im gonna go next.
ORIGINAL: antslake

Hey Fubar, I watched your stick video and it was a nice video. I would just like to recommend one thing to you. If you have this option, set the focus of the video camera on infinte (or landscape)to better keep the plane in focus when so far out. The auto focus has a hard time locking on to something so small.
Just remember to turn it off when going to video something close then.
Old 10-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CrispyCritter, how much did that camera system cost? I'm thinking of getting one and looking at all the possibilities in my budget
Old 10-13-2003, 04:30 PM
CrispyCritter

It is actually a digital camera with video capabilities and a 64mb card. I got the camera from wosmile.com on ebay and the card from somewhere else that I'll have to look up. Total cost $150. Here are links to the sites.

camera:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...4&category=294

memory card:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2936845602

I see that the camera is $10.00 less than when I bought mine. It is a good solid
camera. To take the video that I posted, I had to mount a D cell battery glow igniter on the opposite wing to balance the plane.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bruce
Old 10-13-2003, 04:33 PM
CrispyCritter

These links might not work. Go to ebay and enter these numbers. you can copy and paste them in "search"

3051180494 camera

2936845602 card