Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Video Glasses...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:46 PM
stevennh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video Glasses...

Has anyone tried the Innovatek v-190 glasses I see on e-bay? I am looking for an inexpensive wearable display to try to RPV my aerobird with a video downlink. I know the pixel count is low, but I am just looking for something better than my 3" camcorder screen (hard to see outside). Another option is the higher resolution i-glasses from the same company.

Steve
Old 02-16-2004, 10:20 PM
GTac01
Banned

Default RE: Video Glasses...

what about these: http://www.blackwidowav.com/eyetops.html
Old 02-17-2004, 12:31 AM
yb2normal

The eyetops are great if you want to both fly the plane visually and be able to see your video at the same time. I think Steven is looking for the 'full immersion' experience which would mean something like the Innovatek's or Sony's.

Bill
Old 02-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Ensignnolo

Stevennh,
Where do you fly? I'm just down the street in Stratham.

Ensignnolo
Old 02-17-2004, 03:37 PM
William Bosco

I just purchased the Innovatec I-Glasses on ebay for $249. I'll give a report on them in this forum soon. I chose them because I wear glasses and these I-Glasses will work over them. They fit on your head, not your face. They can be tilted up and out of the way so you could see your plane and look at the 2 eyepieces. Check the specs below.

Willie

i-glasses HMD is a personal video viewing device with fashion design using the latest technology When being connected to outer video sources, you can see a very clear 36 –inch picture in front of you eyes while enjoy Hi-Fi stereo sound. just like in a private cinema.

This headset is similar to such items as the Virtual I-O i-Glasses, however it has a superior 230,400 pixel resolution providing the same 26° FOV as you'd get on other HMD's costing over $1000.

This unit can be used together with various multi-media products, such as portable VCD/DVD player, portable TV receive, etc. Furthermore, It can be used as a display in a car to enjoy with the in-car DVD player. you can also connect this to video games, such as PLAYSTATION ,XBOX, etc. all these features, you enjoy the private entertainment , no matter in journey or during leisure time, no matter indoors or outdoors. includes a rechargeable Li-Ion battery pack for portable use.

Features/Specifications:

Picture Size 36 inches virtually at 2 meters
Micro screen: 960x240 = 230400 pixel.
Screen size: 0.6cm x 0.6cm
Viewing Angle Diagonal 26 degree
Weight Less than 200g(For the part mounted on the head)
Input Signal NTSC/PAL video signal
Power Consumption Less than 1.2W
Power Input DC 6V~12V
Adjusting Function:
- Brightness
- contrast
- volume

Accessories:

Light-shield
AC adapter
rechargeable battery Pack
PS2 game player connection line
AV line
male to male connector
Manual
Old 02-17-2004, 08:46 PM
stevennh

I fly in a field behind my house here in Portsmouth. It is good enough for park flyers. Where/What do you fly?
Old 02-17-2004, 10:20 PM
stevennh

Please give us a review when you get them hooked up. I was looking at the i-glasses (the ones you got) and the v-190 glasses (about half the resolution), but $169.00.

Steve
Old 02-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Ensignnolo

stevennh,
I fly over in North Hampton, just off of Atlantic Ave. The field is behind Joe's Meat Market, down the railroad tracks. I'm currently flying a Senior Telemaster with a .91 Saito. Well, at least I will when the weather warms up!

Ensignnolo
Old 02-18-2004, 09:32 AM
Ensignnolo

stevennh,
I figured out where you live. I go right by there on the way into town for a beer at the Brewery. The water tower in your loops video gave it away!

Ensignnolo
Old 02-18-2004, 12:38 PM
stevennh

Good eye! It's one of the few open fields around town these days! I have many good shots of the tower. My house is midway between spinny road and middle road (my back yard is on the field). I hope to have some better video up shortly. I am waiting for one more part to get delivered to put the new video system on the Aerobird (switched regulator to get 5v from my 7 cell flight pack). I figure with the new system I should be able to remote pilot the plane from my living room (outside antenna/rx with a feed to my TV).
Old 02-19-2004, 05:40 PM
elossam

V-190 Video Glasses at $179.00

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_...ecial/v190.htm
Old 03-06-2004, 10:04 AM
stevennh

Any feedback on these yet? I am still looking...

Steve
Old 03-06-2004, 05:06 PM
elossam

Sorry I can give you any feedback as I only did a search for you looking for a good rate of this product. I´m a Olympus eyetrek user and was comfortable enough with them not to spend more money in another VR glasses
Elossam
Old 03-09-2004, 02:16 AM
William Bosco

Steve,

I got the Innovatec I- glasses. I like 'em. They are about what I expected as far as quality and ease of use. They are comfortable for a glasses wearer like me. They cover your eyes well yet can be moved away slightly to enable one to see the camera shot and keep an eye on the airplane too.
I'm using these glasses to frame my pictures before shooting. It really helps. I also want to go to a really large field and try flying while only looking thru the I glasses. It might be easier to fly this way with a wide angle lense on the camera for some peripheral view.
They come with lith ion battery and charger. Battery fits on belt. I have a hat with patch antenna and BW receiver. The 12 volt rx battery is in a back pack. The I-glasses go on first and hook right into the system with supplied wiring.
Reception is great with the hat rx and with the I-glasses I still feel pretty free to fly my airplane with no distraction.
You have to keep tailoring the system untill it is simple and comfortable to assemble, wear and operate.
Willie
Old 03-14-2004, 05:58 PM
DOH_Blk_Adder

what dont you post a pic of your camera and Gear give us a visual hard to put all of this in my minds eye
Old 03-15-2004, 12:52 AM
IA-Flyer

William, thanks for the info.
If I might ask, do you have a camcorder you could compare the viewfinder quality with for us?
If you do, what brand and model is the camcorder and how do they compare?

I've been looking at the ones you bought and the EyeTops. I like the idea of the EyeTop best but did some checking and noticed it has only 76,800 pixels.
My Sony TRV27 viewfinder has 112,000 pixels and the INNOVATEK V-490 i-Glasses have (230,400 1 lcd, 2 viewfinders?), so I’m thinking they should look better for resolution and dot size.
Thanks!
Old 03-15-2004, 11:12 PM
William Bosco

I'll have my wife take a pic of me with the equipment on and show what the set up looks like. My camcorder is the Sony trv22 which has great resolution. The Innovatec's have good resolution but not as good as the Sony when it comes to color. As far as a good picture of what the camera sees, I'm very pleased with the dual oculars. The picture is not what I'd call grainy. The set up is comfortable to wear.

Willie
Old 03-17-2004, 01:48 PM
William Bosco

Here is my set up for aerial photography. Small back pack contains 12 volt gel cell which conects to Black Widow receiver. This powers the receiver. On my belt is the lith ion battery which powers the Innovatec I-Glasses. They are plugged into the receiver also. That's it, you're ready to fly and take pictures. As I said, this set up is comfortable for me, a glasses wearer. I also like the freedom to move around with no wires trailing. The glasses tilt up and out of the way. You can also look thru them partially to see the view screens and the airplane at the same time. Sun isn't a problem for me.
I use the same set up when I want to shoot video except I replace the glasses with the camcorder and put it in my back pack. With this set up you don't get to see the view but you are still free to move and keep the antenna pointing at the plane.
If I had 2 receivers I could wear the glasses and have the camcorder in the back pack.

Willie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66381.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	112472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64975.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	112473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw56997.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	112474  
Old 03-17-2004, 03:37 PM
stevennh

Willy,

You should be able to "T" the video signal from the receiver to the glasses and camcorder without too much signal loss. I think I am going to pick up the same glasses you have.

Steve
Old 03-17-2004, 04:26 PM
IA-Flyer

It looks like a nice setup, and thanks for the report William!
Was the company ok to deal with? I see their feedback is so-so.
Hey, one more thing. What is the model / part number of the Li-Ion battery? I’m curious if it’s special or the same as a digi-cam or camcorder.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:36 PM
William Bosco

Steve,

If you try the split signal let me know how it works.

iA- Flyer,

The company was ok to deal with on the I-glasses. I didn't have a problem. The battery pack doesn't have a part number. It is a 7.2 volt 1100 mah battery. See pic.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 PM
William Bosco

battery pic
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73791.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	112565  
Old 03-18-2004, 05:41 PM
IA-Flyer

Thanks for the picture of the battery unit William. It’s good to hear actual user reports on things like this and it sounds like you are happy with the quality they produce.

The more research I do the more questions I have before I jump in and order something.
From what I've seen, there are two different ways a company will rate the number of pixels in a display like these.
If the company is quoting the number of "dots" they usually say dots. When Pixels are quoted it usually means full color pixels.
A 230,400 "dot" display will have the same "pixel" resolution as the EyeTops at 76,800 (230,400 / 3 = 76,800) because it takes 3 dots of different colors to make 1 full color pixel.

A 320x240 display needs 76,800 full color pixels or 230,400 dots divided by 3 colors.
Time to do more research, but I'm guessing the EyeTop and the I-Glasses use the same display LCD, they just rate it differently.

Jim