Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Video Camera in plane - and wife let me live!

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Video Camera in plane - and wife let me live!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 02:42 PM
Scottydog1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video Camera in plane - and wife let me live!

Here's a video from my Kadet Senior, with a panasonic DV103 digitial video camera stuffed inside.....

It's over 6 meg..... enjoy!

www.froghollowrc.com/images/farmflyover.WMV

www.bindersign.com
Old 03-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Primodus
My Feedback: (56)

Default RE: Video Camera in plane - and wife let me live!

Cool vid!

Luke[8D]
Old 03-01-2004, 03:35 PM
Flyin4Fun

That was COOL!

Im thinking about getti9ng one of those small cam's to mount in my A-26.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:18 AM
DOH_Blk_Adder

try moving the camera sothe auto-focus feature wont battel with the wheel and the ground would love to see how you mounted that puppie
Old 03-02-2004, 07:20 AM
aaron2874

I like it. Nice deadstick too.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:58 AM
SeacretsOceanCity

Nice,Lets see some pix how you mounted it.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Scottydog1

Man, I'd love to show you pics of how I mounted it, but it was one of those 10 minute things..... got thinkin' about it - had a little spare time, and 10 minutes later, I'd chopped a 2" x 2" hole in the bottom of my senior, just behind the fuel tank, stuffed a bunch of 1/2" foam in the fuselage, and jammed the camera in until it sat at an angle I could live with..... next thing you knew, I was outside trying it..... Flies great with the camera in it - less like a kite and more like an airplane!

I understand the comments about the focus on the nosewheel and the ground, but really, the original straight off the camera is very clear - I seem to lose a lot when I make a windows movie out of the thing..... even when using high resolution. It's a learning thing, I guess..... Also need to work on the sound thing, too - the camera has several settings for recording the sound, so that's something else I can work on.

Attached is a photo of the Senior - you can see I built mine with a "notchback". The camera is pretty much brand new. I think I'd done about 20 minutes of recording with it before stuffing it in the Senior! Hence, the the wifey comment!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98922.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	107012  
Old 03-02-2004, 12:07 PM
benfisher

nice clip!!!! don't be afraid to add more of those. Oh ya.. Great dead stick too!!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:30 PM
Scottydog1

The deadstick happened over the lavender farm, which is about a 1/4 mile away from the runway..... didn't even realize I had flamed out until I got back over my property. You can see the nosewheel "wiggle" as I realized I was deadstick! [X(] Fortunately, that senior is a big kite, and I actually had to burn off a little altitude to land it, hence the circle before touching down on the grass runway.

You can see me, my black lab, and a friend standing in the back yard, if you look carefully. The pock marks in the fields are a combination of gophers and my dogs digging big holes in search of the rodents. Makes it tricky to stroll across the field whilst flying - you step in a doggy hole and down you go!

Pretty boring scenery this time of year - in another couple of months, it'll be a "green-overload" as the fields come out of dormancy.... can't wait to do it again - and next time, I'll pull up a few times and try to get a horizon shot. The sky was beautiful here (SE WA state) that day, and it was the reason I wanted to record from my plane.... just didn't get my mounting angle right!

Scott
Old 03-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Nice video, I have the Senior ARF and a mini cam want to try it also. Never seen a Senior built like that looks good.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:44 PM
CenTexFlyer

Interesting! You could see when the motor started loading up and four strokin' by the nose wheel shake.... well done!

CTF
Old 03-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Great video!
Love the sticker in the tire. Those Kadet Seniors will carry a lot of weight all right.
Froghollow? My wife would LOVE that. Frogs are her thing. Got more types of stuffed, ceramic, pewter frogs around here than Bush has beans.
She sometimes arranges them in weird scenarios while I sleep at night...
After she gets back from visiting her daughter and granddaughter and after the in-laws bail the week after that, I will have to get the mods done on my Kadet Senior ARF and try out the new patch antenna.
Hope to have the BWAV system installed in the Wingo soon too. Just not sure how I want to mount it.

Keep the vids coming!
ORIGINAL: Scottydog1

Here's a video from my Kadet Senior, with a panasonic DV103 digitial video camera stuffed inside.....

It's over 6 meg..... enjoy!

www.froghollowrc.com/images/farmflyover.WMV

www.bindersign.com
Old 03-03-2004, 01:38 AM
lvspark

BARF![&o] Lol, that last turn made me feel woosey!

You got some ball's puttin that cam in the plane! Hat's off to ya man!
Old 03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Rj-TailSpin

I don't want to rain on your parade so please don't take my comments as such. I am interested in finding the best quality method and seeing how you have taken the big leap without being killed by your wife... I have some comments and questions.

The quality didn't look much better than that obtained with a CCD camera using a wireless link. I noticed the pixelation (sp) as if your camera is having problems focusing on the moving terrain. Shooting over a farmer's field is very difficult. I fly over a sod farm and the lines of cut sod interfere with the camera like close lines on a shirt in movies. Plowed fields raise the same problems. The field of view (FOV) is also very tight so the CCD in your camera has to work hard to keep things in focus. With a CCD, different lenses can be used which is an advantage because more area is viewed which allows the CCD to better compensate for constant movement. There must be a technical term for how quickly an image can be focus. This is important because flying near the ground... the camera is effectively being used in a constant panning action. Not exactly how they are intended to be used.

I hope you keep testing and posting your results. I find your input very useful!
Rob
Old 03-03-2004, 01:52 PM
SeacretsOceanCity

When you render your vid for net use and reduce it that small you lose alot of the clarity the original I bet was crystal clear.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:09 PM
DOH_Blk_Adder

I picked up one of those wireless cameras at ebay for 50.00 very clear uses 9v bat and is about twice the size as a 9 v bat working on installing it in the cabin of a cub using rubber bands to remove some of the vibration ...the camera connected to a wintv tuner that is USB and i record on my hard drive should work just fine but Gads what do i know
Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Scottydog1

It is very clear on the camera - and when connected to the TV - I think it just loses a lot when reduced down to a windows movie file. The camera does tend to do a lot of focusing, though - even when used on the ground, as a normal hand-held video camera. I was out shooting a buddy flying his U-Can-Do 3D .60 yesterday, and noticed that it didn't stay in focus too well. Kind of troubling. It was mounted up in the fuselage of the Senior, a couple of inches away from the floor, which I just cut a square hole in.... could've been focusing on that, too. On the raw footage, you can see the gopher mounds and doggy digging holes very clearly.....

Scott
Old 03-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Scottydog1

I did re-do the video at 19.3 meg - I think it's much better..... I'll upload it right now....

it'll be at www.froghollowrc.com/images/farmflight2.WMV
Old 03-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

We have learned that when shooting a plane from the ground to set the focus to infinity. That will eliminate the fuzz/clear/fuzz/clear situation you get with autofocus.
You will lose a lot of definition when you render the video to any compressed mode especially with something moving very fast like the ground during take off and landing.
The raw digital footage I shoot always looks MUCH better than the videos on my website and even the ones on the website when rendered (from the raw AVI project files) to be burned to a DVD look primo. They are not as dark as they turn out when I render them to wmv format.
There is simply no comparison. This is also why I post the videos I like best in two bitrates, med res and higher res. The best res will end up with a 5 minute mpg that has a file size of over 300 megs. Great looking video but NOT practical for web use.
ORIGINAL: Scottydog1

It is very clear on the camera - and when connected to the TV - I think it just loses a lot when reduced down to a windows movie file. The camera does tend to do a lot of focusing, though - even when used on the ground, as a normal hand-held video camera. I was out shooting a buddy flying his U-Can-Do 3D .60 yesterday, and noticed that it didn't stay in focus too well. Kind of troubling. It was mounted up in the fuselage of the Senior, a couple of inches away from the floor, which I just cut a square hole in.... could've been focusing on that, too. On the raw footage, you can see the gopher mounds and doggy digging holes very clearly.....

Scott
Old 03-03-2004, 08:56 PM
Scottydog1

Great! Thanks for the info! Can't wait 'til another sunny day to try it again!

Scott
Old 03-03-2004, 08:57 PM
rcu guest-delete

Scottydog1, Thanks a lot for sharing the video, it`s very interesting.
Johhny
Old 03-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Scott Claboe
My Feedback: (9)

Cool vid.It looked alot like all the other window vids.A little blurry.But still really cool!My old man wants me to do one of his property.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:24 PM
DOH_Blk_Adder

NICE.....your Dog? we saw? hummm just had an evil thought about Buzzing the cows but it passed...however I have no qualms about Buzzing the Neighbors cat....remote controlled bottle rockets hummmmmm Just kidding ..............here kitty kitty kitty
Old 03-03-2004, 09:59 PM
Ensignnolo

Nice video!

Ensignnolo
Old 03-04-2004, 03:06 PM
briansommers
My Feedback: (2)

wow, this is great, i bought a panasonic mini dv camcorder and i plan on sticking it into my kadet senior arf, glad to see it worked well for ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.