Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Black widow beta switch finally tested.....

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Black widow beta switch finally tested.....

Old 12-11-2004, 04:41 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black widow beta switch finally tested.....

Although I still haven't been able to get any aerial video taken, I did finally manage to test my beta switch, courtesy of black widow. Lately between work and the holidays it hasn't been easy to get a lot of build or flying time. Anyways, finally, this morning I got the switch all hooked up and turned on my video equipment in the living room. I have a camera in the nose of my kadet and recently put one in the belly of the plane. I did have it on the wing but with the way my plane is configured I had four servo leads to hook up and that was two too many [:@] I have the beta switch hooked up to my landing gear channel and pan servos hooked into my flap channel. The beta switch performs very well When I push the switch forward, the nose camera gave me a very sharp picture of the kitchen. Then I picked up the tail and flipped the switch back and got a very clear pic of the other side of the house. I can hardly wait to test this switch outdoors. I've got the whole week off for xmas and plan to get in a lot of stick time out in the yard if weather permits. I'm really impressed with the switch so far
Old 12-12-2004, 10:48 AM
mklarich

Default RE: Black widow beta switch finally tested.....

Randall, Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear things are working out. Please keep us posted on the flight results.

Matt Klarich
Old 12-12-2004, 11:12 AM
randall1959

I will Matt, but it looks like it will be quite some time before I get any real flight testing done. Old man winter and my arthritis are going to make sure of that for a whilke it seems. Maybe I'll get an odd nice day here and there and try to get some video. I still haven't figured out how to use my video capture card yet. Now is the time to get all that in order, now that I have my aerial video setup pretty much tweaked and ready.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:25 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Hope to get mine airborne soon. Did bench test it and the results were good so far. I am lacking in 5v cameras to use tho. I can use one of my old CMOS cams but YUCK!
Need to fab up a mount for the 3 cams also to give me a fore, aft, down set up.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:24 PM
randall1959

Video cameras and transmitter are twelve volt so I clip the power wire on the camera and run the positive wire into that from my video power switch, and connect the ground wire from my power switch to the black wire on the beta switch. That way I don't have to use the power wire from the beta switch to power my cameras.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

That would work but I have two CCD 5v cams and one CCD 12v cam. I absolutely do NOT like to hardwire any of my video systems to any particular plane so coming up with a plug and play setup to use those cameras has been a nightmare. I have a 5v regulator so theoretically I can power the 12v cam and the two 5v cams with that but once again how to provide power easily to all the cams thru the one switch? Can power the 12v direct thru the switch and put the reg between the switch and the two 5v cams but that is yet another wiring headache.
Several ideas came to mind but I didnt like any of em and they violated my Plug and Play philosophy. It comes down to needing more cameras, either 12v or 5v.
I just put it all aside for now and went flying instead.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:19 PM
randall1959

My particular setup in my kadet is pretty much a fixed thing so I was able to do that. I've got plug and play systems for use in other planes so I made that one for the kadet exclusively. Both cameras and the tx are powered from a 12volt 1800 ma pack. Since I got into this I've kept a philosophy of keeping everything 12 volt compatible. I only use two cameras because my three position switch is allready running my pan servos on both cameras. I figure I will rarely have use for all three positions, and if I need some down shots I can adjust either the nose camera or the belly cam. My beta switch is hooked up to my landing gear channel.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Doc11
My Feedback: (59)

Where can I get the schematic and parts list for this switch. Thanks Doc [email protected]
Old 06-16-2005, 03:03 PM
mklarich

You can just purchase one ready to go from www.klarichelectronics.com. I am working on revisisions of the switches currently and they should be ready in the next few weeks.

Matt Klarich
www.klarichelectronics.com
Old 06-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Doc11
My Feedback: (59)

I went to your site and can't find any switch listed. Please advise. Doc
Old 06-16-2005, 06:35 PM
mklarich

-How many cameras?
-Different voltages?
-What style connector?

We can go from there pretty easily.

Thanks Much,

Matt Klarich