Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Video plays on computer, but not on my TV/DVD player,, Why????

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Video plays on computer, but not on my TV/DVD player,, Why????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Eagle Flyer
My Feedback: (84)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video plays on computer, but not on my TV/DVD player,, Why????

I was going to add this to my previous post about this problem after I changed the title to go along with the subject but the edit button eludes me. So here it is.
Well it's been a battle but I finaly got some video to work, sort of. I can play it on my computer but when I put the DVD in the DVD/TV player it comes up blank and says data file.
What am I doing wrong??
Old 01-15-2005, 09:18 AM
brownknows

Default RE: Video plays on computer, but not on my TV/DVD player,, Why????

EF,

Authoring a playable DVD requires a very specific format. Just putting a video file on a blank DVD will create a data disc that happens to hold a video file, and your DVD player will treat it as such. An actual DVD that is playable in a DVD player has two required folder names, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS. In the video folder will be all of your files (the audio folder is actually very seldom used). The video folder must contain some VOB files (which are the actual video footage in MPEG4 format), and some TS files (which hold menu information). Get hold of a real DVD authoring software package like Nero, DVD Factory or others. These make the process very simple.

BrownKnows
Old 01-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Eagle Flyer

I don't know if I would use it enough to justify purchasing a program. Is there any freeware to be found that would work?
Old 01-15-2005, 02:22 PM
mr.rc-cam

Some DVD drives come bundled with basic DVD authoring software. Have you checked your install disk?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Eagle Flyer

Nothing there. Been reading up on it. Don't know what a lot of the things they are talking about are. Think I am in over my head on this. When it comes to computers I need EXTREMELY simple step by step directions. I grew up BC.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
IA-Flyer

Hi Jim,
I'm going to be in Mapleton for a day or so when my mother goes home from hip surgery.
If you want, we could meet there or in the area, and I could bring my portable and show you a little on DVD burning.
It's simple once you've done it.

If you have any disks that came with your burner we could look at what you have.
If not, Ulead has a 30-day demo of the program I like "DVD MovieFactory", I may even have an extra older version after my last upgrade that you can have. I'll check.

Do any indoor flying? I have access to a gym here in whiting.

Jim
Old 01-17-2005, 08:57 PM
Eagle Flyer

Let me know when you will be around. I am scheduled to be gone next week (24-28) for work but that could easily change by then. I don't do any indoor stuff. Have plenty of projects now! Trying to devote the winter to finishing them up.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:13 PM
IA-Flyer

I read this thread first, then the other.
Didn’t realize what you were trying to do. Hopefully the other answer will solve your frame capture problem.
If not give me a call and I'll walk you through it.
I'll send a PM with my phone #.

Jim
Old 01-18-2005, 04:27 AM
Rj-TailSpin

Eagle Flyer... discovered gravity! Doesn't it suck when you realize there are major differences between video formats? I hated the learning curve... it was painful and expensive. The natural path is VHS, SVHS, miniDV, DV and then DVD. It all cost money. I learned too late, it would have been better to wait and spend the money on miniDV... import to computer and burn DVDs. Even DVD format has many layers, not the best word, I mean formats. There are so many formats... it would be easy to spend years researching them and then it all comes down to compatibility... use the most common format so the most different devices can play your videos. Last Summer, I purchased a new HP laptop, not the greatest brand I know, but it came with a DVD burner and I didn't even know it LOL. I bought it for work. Nevertheless, for $1,600 I have a mobile DVD burner... it was a nice surprise!
Rob
Old 02-08-2005, 11:38 PM
Eagle Flyer

Well I finaly got my video on to a dvd that will play on the tv dvd player. Problem now is I don't know how I did it. I was trying so many different things. It was done with Roxio 6 is all I can say for sure. Another thing I don't get is it (Roxio) won't let me import vob files one time then the next time it will. ??????? Then it might take a whole file of fair size and change it to nothing almost. And it will take a folder containing 4.3 gb and load the vob files and come up with as much as 20 gb. How is that?
Will changing the ext. help? How do you change a video's format? Pics it easy with the proper program. I use the one that came with my scanner then do the save as thing.
To load a video to a web site what is a good file size and what format works good?
Thanks for any help!!!!

still trying.....................