Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Thought I was going to lose the Slow Stick last night......

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Thought I was going to lose the Slow Stick last night......

Old 03-12-2005, 05:31 PM
2thDr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I was going to lose the Slow Stick last night......

[link=http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2thDr&p=%2FWindy+Night+Flying%21%21.wmv&odaid=952&prog=true]http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2thDr&p=%2FWindy+Night+Flying%21%21.wmv&odaid=952&prog=true[/link]

I went out last night around midnight to do a little night flying.......turns out, the wind above 100 feet was quite strong and it started to push the plane away from me. It took me a good 15 minutes to fly it back to the parking lot at 75% throttle (Eflite 400 brushless motor). Had me worried for a while.

The entire flight is RPV. 100% from takeoff to landing. I never once looked at the plane while it was flying or landing.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:38 PM
W4UAV

Default RE: Thought I was going to lose the Slow Stick last night......

You kept the lot in sight though, thats the main part. And it looks like you realized what was happening early.
Very good job!!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:19 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

That's really cool.....I always wanted to do RPV.

Tell us about your set-up (which wireless video system, did you use goggles (if so which brand do you recommend) or tv screen, etc.)

Thanx,

Mike

P.S. How do you deal with range when doing RPV....is there a warning if you leave the range of the video link (intermitant drop-outs) or does it turn to blue all of a sudden?
Old 03-15-2005, 01:35 AM
DebianDog

Very impressive "recovery"
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: cobratraxxas69

That's really cool.....I always wanted to do RPV.

Tell us about your set-up (which wireless video system, did you use goggles (if so which brand do you recommend) or tv screen, etc.)

Thanx,

Mike

P.S. How do you deal with range when doing RPV....is there a warning if you leave the range of the video link (intermitant drop-outs) or does it turn to blue all of a sudden?

Blackwidow 600 mw 2.4GHz transmitter and camera
1 Patch antenna
Slow Stick with Eflite 400 brushless motor
Some cheapie $200 video goggles (I need a better set, these aren't the best)

I haven't gone far enough to lose video transmission yet......the farthest I've flown it away from me is around 2000-2500 feet and still had decent video transmission. I think I could probably get 3000-4000 feet before the video would be too bad to see (dropouts, etc.) I'm going to be trying Blackwidow's new diversity receiver pretty soon with 2 patch antennas, so I'll test range then.