Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried a system from wirelessvideocameras.com?

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Has anyone tried a system from wirelessvideocameras.com?

Old 05-11-2005, 09:38 AM
Sricketts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone tried a system from wirelessvideocameras.com?

Has anyone tried a transmitter/ receiver package from wirelessvideocameras.com? They have a number of packages that have various ranges all the way up to five miles, several of which require an Amateur License to opperate. I wanted to know if the claims of these various ranges are plausible, and practical. And what kinda of draw backs a system like this would have ( apart from the higher cost) If anyone could give me some feed back i would be greatly appreciative.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:48 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Has anyone tried a system from wirelessvideocameras.com?

For the prices they charge it better be able to send back video from the moon.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:09 PM
forus

I have used such a system since -98. It was expensive.... The range is good, but I don't like it being 12vdc.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:40 PM
mklarich

How much are you looking to spend and what kind of quality are you looking to get? Not to toot my own horn too much but blackwidow a/v is now selling my diversity receiver for 2.4 ghz wireless video. The receiver features 2 video receivers that you set to the same channel, my circuitry then switches between whichever receiver is getting the better signal. The biggest problem we have in aerial photography is actually multipath interference, not loss of signal.

Multipath interference comes from the transmitter being mobile and moving so much. Imagine a signal originating at point A being received at point B, if that signal bounces off an object like point C and then travels to your receiver at point B just slightly out of phase from the original signal it cause an interference/canceling of the original signal. Just look at computer routers, most all of them have 2 antennas. Those are not transmit and receive, they are both transceivers that switch as needed.

Blackwidow offers 2 really good transmitters for 2.4, a 5 volt transmitter that is 600mW and a 12 volt transmitter that is 1 full watt.

Just look at some of the videos that have been shot so far with the receiver and it will blow you away.

Matthew Klarich
www.klarichelectronics.com

[link=http://www.klarichelectronics.com/Videos/KE_BW_Diversity1.wmv]Klarich Electronics Demo Video[/link]
[link=http://www.klarichbackup.com/2thdr/upload_here/Cloud%20Flying.wmv]RCU Member 2thDr flying in the clouds[/link]
[link=http://www.klarichbackup.com/2thdr/upload_here/Distance%20Flying%20Source.wmv]RCU Member 2thDr Distance Flight[/link]
[link=http://www.klarichbackup.com/Videos/AlphaMaidenFlight.wmv]RCU Member 2thDr First flight on Alpha 60[/link]
Old 05-12-2005, 09:50 AM
Sricketts

thanksfor the imput so far guys.

mklarich - i haven't got an exact budget as yet, but i do know what the requirements of what i am looking for are: I want a real Time AP system, that can transmit the video signal at least practical operating range of the transmitter that i am using ( so lets say 1.5 - 2 miles). the black widow systems seem to be solid systems, but don't quite meet the type of range requirements that i am looking for (correct me if i am wrong). From my communication with the people at black widow, the 1000mW transmitter will give me about a mile range. I see that they have a 3000mW transmitter, i am wondering if that would give me the type of range required. Would the diversity receiver work with another system apart from the black widow ones (like the ones at wirelessvideocameras.com)?

forus - what is your overall recommendation on the system? i am will ing to spend the extra money if i get a superior product (ie. greater range, clarity, etc.). Additionally, what (if any) are the draw backs to it being 12vdc apart from the weight issues?

Thanks again
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: Sricketts

thanksfor the imput so far guys.

mklarich - i haven't got an exact budget as yet, but i do know what the requirements of what i am looking for are: I want a real Time AP system, that can transmit the video signal at least practical operating range of the transmitter that i am using ( so lets say 1.5 - 2 miles). the black widow systems seem to be solid systems, but don't quite meet the type of range requirements that i am looking for (correct me if i am wrong). From my communication with the people at black widow, the 1000mW transmitter will give me about a mile range. I see that they have a 3000mW transmitter, i am wondering if that would give me the type of range required. Would the diversity receiver work with another system apart from the black widow ones (like the ones at wirelessvideocameras.com)?

forus - what is your overall recommendation on the system? i am will ing to spend the extra money if i get a superior product (ie. greater range, clarity, etc.). Additionally, what (if any) are the draw backs to it being 12vdc apart from the weight issues?

Thanks again

I have the 600 mw BlackWidow system with the Diversity receiver and I can EASILY get a mile range out of the video transmission (see my one mile flight). I haven't had the opportunity to test farther than that yet (damn winds of 20 mph around here for several weeks now), but I'm sure I have plenty of video range left (probably 2 or 3 miles at least).
Old 05-12-2005, 12:16 PM
2thDr

duplicate post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
2thDr

duplicate post
Old 05-12-2005, 12:46 PM
forus

I have included a photo of the set up I used last year. I think the system is good and very easy to hook up. I don't like the 12vdc supply. Too much batteries to fly around.......but of course, removing the voltage reg. inside the box makes it a 5 volt system (with no protection!!).
I haven't really done a range check of the system. Last summer I reached an altitude of 2000feet and the signal was perfect. The camera is ok, but not great.
I have now modified the antennas (tx and rx) and will test it this summer. I have also bought the Felsweb rx and tx and will use it with a cam similar to cx161. I will compare the systems this summer. (I got my wvs.com system in -98 and should have a range of about 1.5miles unmodified)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74560.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	270450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85848.gif
Views:	15
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	270451  
Old 05-12-2005, 05:12 PM
mklarich

The range of the system all depends on the antennas, 1000mw transmitter from blackwidow will have the same range as a 1000mw system from microwireless (in theory). 2thDr is using some larger patch antennas from blackwidow that would easily give him 5-10 miles range.

I did test flights in florida on rubber ducks over 2 miles away. I did not fly from vidoe, I flew at the model airplane club with my wife on the phone to dave who was 2 miles down the road with the receiver. He would tell me when it went in and out which happened anytime I got below 75 feet, other then that the video stayed locked in.

Range is all about the antennas, at the distance you are looking for more power just equals more multi-path interference problems. The more power you bang out the easier it is for the signal to bounce off an object and get back to the receivers out of sync from the original signal and cause problems.

I hope this helps a little, please keep posting any questions you have. I am more then happy to answer them or figure out an answer to your question.

Matt Klarich

Old 05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Sricketts

mklarich -

Could you perhaps recommend a set up from black widow that would give me the kind of range performance that i am looking for. what strength transmitter and what size/type of antennas would get me a 2 mile range?

2thDr - What is your exact set up of your system?

thanks
Old 05-13-2005, 07:51 PM
yb2normal

From my communication with the people at black widow, the 1000mW transmitter will give me about a mile range.
Hi Sricketts,

Bill here from Black Widow AV... I probably didn't communicate this very well in our previous correspondence and I appologize, so I figured I'd post here. I tend to rate my equipment very conservatively because my goal has always been to get the best possible quality video. For me, it's not about getting scratchy video as far out as possible, it's about getting *perfect* video all the time. I know this isn't the same criteria that other vendors judge their equipment by, and I know it looses me some business, but it's a philosophy that I've run my company by since I started.

Now having said that, I'm not above crowing about the successes that many of my clients have enjoyed, well beyond the ranges I usually quote. I'd point to the great work being done by 2thdr here on the forums, flying a mile out and back with the 600mw tx. I recently got an email from a client in Barcelona, Spain, who tells me he flew the 600mw tx, with diversity receiver and 14dbi patch antennas, 2.5 miles away. He flew the entire distance "under the hood" which makes me nervous just thinking about! I don't generally recommend flying out of visual range but I'd be lying if I said I didn't crack a big smile seeing some of that video.

Regards,
Bill
Old 05-14-2005, 04:48 AM
2thDr

2thDr - What is your exact set up of your system?

thanks

Here's a picture.....

http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2th....JPG&odaid=952

(I just recently raised the camera to get the propeller out of the screen.....)

Slow Stick with a brushless Eflite 400 motor, Phoenix 25 speed control, 8 channel radio receiver (can't remember brand), Thunderpower 3 cell 2100mah Lipo battery for the motor, Thunderpower 2 cell 2100 mah lipo battery for the video transmitter, 600 mw 2.4GHz transmitter from BWAV, KX131 camera from BWAV, Diversity receiver with two 14 dbi patch antennas from BWAV/Klarich.
Old 12-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Tim Taylor

Does anyone know where wirelessvideocameras.com has gone? I was on there last week and there was a redirect. I didn't bookmark the new page. That would be an excellent field camera for addition to a club website.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:43 PM
Chris Bergen

Try retyping it, http://wirelessvideocameras.com/

Old 01-01-2007, 04:50 PM
codykrr

i have a dumb question...do you guys take pictures of peoples land for money.....? im asking mainly because not too long ago i heard about this guy here that drives to peoples houses(mainly farmers) and ask them if they want some pictures of there land...he charges alot for them too...and he does this in an ultralight, they look like "go karts with a big kite wing" and look dangerous. and i was wondering if anyone else does this and if so is it hard to get a good picture? because these people here are paying $100 per shot and if this is done with rc planes thats alot of profit considering an ultralight is around $5,000 and some rc planes are $500 or less and whatever the camera cost..at 100 dollars a picture it would pay the equiptment off fast and will be able to soon profit..im all about earning money and if i can have a hobby and make money at it that would be great

thanks for any info ahead of time
cody