Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Aiptek Pocket DV 5100M Mini Digital Camcorder? (Vs Mustek)

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Aiptek Pocket DV 5100M Mini Digital Camcorder? (Vs Mustek)

Old 06-05-2005, 05:12 AM
dshepard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Aiptek Pocket DV 5100M Mini Digital Camcorder? (Vs Mustek)

Where in Walmart are you finding the Aiptek? I went to two different Walmarts near me here in NC and they aren't in the camera dept.[]

Thanks,

Derek
Old 06-05-2005, 10:31 AM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

I found mine in Photo department where they sell the camcorders.

Here's a link to the first video I made yesterday using the Aiptek 5100. I was very pleased with the overall quality of the video.

[link]http://rcairplane.onlinestoragesolution.com/aerial%20videos/spadet.wmv[/link]
Old 06-06-2005, 04:06 AM
dshepard

Nice video, I am going to have to try other Walmarts.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:35 AM
critterhunter

The lady at the Walmart here near Cleveland told me that the price on these 5100M's is kind'a a promotion by Aiptek to get their name out there. They sell other cameras and such but this is the smallest one (of ANY brand name) that Walmart carrys. Like I said, just make sure it's a 5100M as there are other model numbers that look the same but are larger in size. As a matter of fact, the second time I went up there the camera wasn't mounted on the display along side the other digital still and camcorders. Had to ask for it and she found it under the counter locked away where I couldn't see it. I'd ask specificly for them to look for that model number under the counter.

Do yourself a favor while you are up there and pick up an eight pack or two of Energizer AA 2500ma Nimhs. They can't be beat in both performance and price ($17). As a matter of fact, just read a long article on the net that said these are the best performing Nimhs on the market. I'm using them in my camera and in my plane TX. If you have a good RC Nimh charger then just take a trip up to Radio Shack and buy an 8 cell AA battery holder wired in series (all of them I saw were) for about $2. It will feature a 9V square battery snap on adapter on top of the case. Snap a 9V battery connector on to that, then feed the positive and negative leads from it into you're charger. Set the charger for 2500ma capacity, 3MV, and charger at a very low .5 amps for the first charge (will take about 9 hours). After that you can charge them faster at maybe 1 to 2 amps in the field when you need them quickly for the TX.

I'd also pick up a 2 cell AA holder (in series) so I could charge two AAs in the field for the camera if needed. Bottom line is you don't want to combine 6 charged cells and 2 dead ones into the 8 pack for a charge. Only charge cells together that are roughly in the same state of discharge (like all 8 from the TX).

For anybody looking for a good charger in the $50 range the Pirahna Digital Peak Charger can't be beat. Did some searching on the net and there is almost nothing in that price range that will compete with it. It will do Nimhs or Nicads and will run off AC or DC. Features 10 memory settings, and offers control over capacity, peak threashold m/v detect, charge rate from 0 to 5 amps, and will do 1 to 8 cell packs. The instructions are poor and there isn't a lot of advertising out there for this unit but it rocks. I've peaked Nihms on the charger that came with my Challenger and then re-peaked them before moving them over to the Piranha, and it STILL would add another 100 to 200MA capacity to the battery...which means it's doing a better job at determining true peak.

Here's a tip on any peak detect charger...Many batteries will hold a somewhat higher capacity than the pack rating. If you set the charger at a capacity of 900MA that a pack is rated at the charger will automaticly kick off when it reaches 900MA, regardless of whether the threshold peak detect was tripped or not. By increasing the capacity rating to 1200 or so it will allow that battery to charge to a higher capacity (if it can) and terminate by the proper threshold detect m/v setting. Just be careful because if the m/v setting isn't set right the pack could fry if it doesn't self terminate. I also see that there are now lipo adapter circuits that will run off most NIMH/NICAD chargers, offering a "logic" go between between the lipo and charger. I think they are about $19.

By the way, nice video! Did you record in the highest resolution at 11fps or the next lower at 30fps? I should an my Extreme parts in by Friday so I'm looking forward to doing some video. Debating ways to protect the camera. Perhaps some kind of foam body armor? Ideas?

Old 06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

I set the camera at 30fps and it had no trouble keeping up. The prop blade tended to flicker the light going into the lens when pointed into the sun but didn't come out too badly. I'll be working on a better way of mounting it so you do not see the prop at all. I want to avoid hanging the camera too far from the fuselage so the CG isn't badly effected.

I use the disposable AA Duracell (for flash photography) brand but even so, the camera does drain them fairly fast so I'll have to get myself some of the rechargeable ones you mentioned.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:05 AM
critterhunter

I'd say I'm getting roughly 3 to 6 hours of run time on two AA 2500ma Energizer Nimhs. It may be higher than that. This is based on roughly a camping trip, other excursions, and yesterday trying to film (from the ground) my Stryker and Challenger in the air. They finally gave out yesterday. No problem, two more out of the charged and ready 8 pack and it's show time for the camera again. Store bought regular batteries won't even give you half the time these Nimhs do. Amazing. By the way, this is the second successful trip out with the Stryker since I solved the COG and control horn adjustments. WOW! It was PURE fun. Makes the Challenger feel like riding a bus. The three guys I was with all kept saying the Stryker was junk and I was reading company propoganda on these web pages (one guy bought one before me and never got it to fly). So, it was gloat'n time. I bring it in for a perfect landing and the one guy who has been particularly hard on me about this plane says "That thing is wicked", or words to that effect. I turned and said "Oh, it was only flying on company propaganda..." Loved serving out the crow pie...Of course, when it was getting real dark out I brought it in for one last low level loop and lost perspective. Nose first smack into the ground and now she's back to the glue factory garage, but I'm amazed at how well these things glue back together. I love this plane! Might even try strapping my old wireless cam onto it (the one that wouldn't work with the Challenger last year due to interference issues). Perhaps the internals on the Stryker will be more compatible.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:45 PM
critterhunter

Wow, here's an old thread...But figured I'd revive it with some weights for you guys on the Aiptek 5100M digital pocket camcorder. All these weights are with a 512MB compact flash card installed...

Camera with 2 AA batteries: 6.3 ounces (178 grams)
Without Batteries: 4.2 ounces (119 grams)
Without Batteries and battery cover 4 ounces (114 grams)
Batteries Alone 2.1 ounces (59 grams)
3V regulator I plan to power the camera off of without the two AAs .5 ounces (13 grams)
Old 12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
critterhunter

If anybody is looking for a very cheap USB cable try Dollar Tree or some other local dollar store. I found this...30" rectractable USB cable type A to mini 5 pin. Connectors AM-MINI 5 pin. Instructions also say "This USB cable connects a computer or USB hub to any portable USB device using a 5 pin mini-B connection. Common applications include digital cameras, MP3 Players, PDAs, and mobile phones." Price: One dollar.

I am wanting to power my Aiptek 5100M digital pocket camcorder off it's USB port via a 3V regulator. Even just a mini USB plug would have been fine, since I'm going to solder it up to the regulator. Was shocked to find that all the stores I went to wanted $20 to $40 for a cable that I planned to cut up anyway. On a whim I hit Dollar Tree and there they were. Neat little device. It has a retracting thin cord and is very small. Not that it matters since I only needed the mini plug.

Figured it would be less weight and hassle than the dummy dowl rod AA rig I have hitched to the regulator right now. Just have to clear up a few things. USB devices usually need a 5V input via the USB port. Not sure if my camera's stock cable has a voltage regulator to step it down to 3V or if the camera will power up on 3V via that port. Going to use a voltmeter on the stock cable to check. Also, not sure if the camera will go into some kind of PC mode when power is supplied via the USB port and not give me any control via it's buttons. Have to check that as well.

Either way, if you are looking for a cheap USB cable or just need the plug off one for some other purpose that's where you'll find a good price on it.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
critterhunter

Well, did some more playing with the 5100M. First hitched the stock USB cable up to a computer to check the voltage output and it was the standard USB 5 volts to feed the camera. The -/+ pins are also in the standard spots on a USB plug. Now that I knew the Aiptek cable wasn't regulating the USB output to it down to 3V or something and that the power pins were where they should be, I figured I'd wire up a mini USB plug to my 3V regulator and try that. While the regulator works fine to power the camera via it's two AA battery comparment leads, it appears 3V isn't enough to fire the camera up via it's USB port. Guess it wants the standard 5V input.

So, question...The ESC I'm using has a 2 amp BEC and should provide roughly the 5V the camera USB port needs. Anybody know how many amps one HS55 and one HS81 servo are sucking from the BEC? I wonder if I can power the camera via the BEC and not have the BEC burn out. Also wonder if the 5V supply from the BEC might get too noisy for the camera? Starting to think I'd be better off just wiring up a mini DC jack to the camera and feeding it 3V near the battery leads but hate to take the thing apart.

Another option would be to pick up a 5V regulator. Anybody have a source?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:45 AM
twinturbostang

ORIGINAL: critterhunter
Another option would be to pick up a 5V regulator. Anybody have a source?
I would recommend against using the ESC's BEC. If you overload it, you will loose RC control over the plane. Here's a nice small switching regulator... http://www.dimensionengineering.com/DE-SW0XX.htm
Old 12-13-2006, 09:36 AM
critterhunter

I took an easy a dirty shortcut to power the camera. Didn't want to take it apart, so I just soldered a servo plug's wires to the negative and positive battery terminals (left side are the inputs to the cam...don't need to solder the right terminals up since they are just putting the two AAs in series). I can still insert two AAs and power the camera for other uses. Now I just plug the camera's servo plug into another servo plug that's on the 3V regulator, and then the 3V regulator plugs into another servo plug wired directly to the plane battery power (not through the BEC or anything). This complete setup, including a large heat sink on the regulator to keep it cool and noise isolation components, only weighs .5 ounces. That compares to 2.1 ounces for two AAs so the weight savings are pretty good.

With this setup I can now unplug the camera/regulator and take all that out when I want to run my 2.4ghz video transmitter and a CCD camera. Both are 12V. I'm going to try to run them via straight battery voltage as the 9-12+ volts of a 3 cell lipo should be well within their voltage range. I might have to add nose cancelation components to that, though. If I decided I need a 12V regulator I'll probably have to buy a switching type since linear regulators need at least 2+ volts more than the output voltage while switching types can take a much lower voltage (9V as the battery hits LVC) and jack it up to 12V. They run cooler as well.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:51 PM
jpjamie

More than likely when the LCD door is closed a magnet inside the LCD door is sensed by a magnetic sensor on the main board of the camcorder. I have an Aiptek DZO camcorder. A friend and I took apart the LCD door, found the location on the board of the magnetic sensor and easily removed (glued on) the small magnet inside the LCD door. Once this magnet is removed you can close the door and the camera will continue to record video. I have used this camcorder mounted on the top of a Sig LT-40 wing with good results. I removed the lock in "shoe" from a cheap tripod mount, built a lite-ply/carbon tube support around it and screwed it down to the center wing spar. The support allows me to select two camera tilt angles, I may add another. If you mount your Aiptek camcorder using the camcorder's internal (camcorder bottom) 1/4" threaded mount, be aware the threads are plastic and strip easily. I just stripped mine out so epoxied the 1/4" threaded shoe onto the bottom of the camcorder. The Aiptek DZO model I have uses two AA batteries and weighs 6 ounces with the batteries installed. The better way to go of course is to get a model with a rechargeable lithium battery pack, which will cost more.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:37 AM
critterhunter

I *FINALLY* built scratch built an EPS pusher that works great for AP a few weeks ago and have flown the Aiptek 5100M in three times thus far. The camera door isn't an issue. It doesn't need to be opened to turn the power on and won't turn off, simply by pushing the "OK" button a few seconds to turn it on. You can then just press the video button to have it start recording. I'm also using a HXT500 servo attached with double sided tape to the top of the camera when doing still shots instead of live video, firing it via the gear switch on my TX. Works great. Very impressed and happy with the camera. The 3V regulator I'm using saves the weight of the two AA batteries. I believe the camera with servo and regulator minues the two AA batteries weighs in at about 4.5 ounces.

I've also got a 1.2ghz 800mw CMOS setup and a 2.4ghz 2000mw CCD setup that I'm going to try soon in the plane when not using the pocket camcorder. They are much lighter (1.5 and like 2.5 ounces) so the plane should not have any trouble carrying one of them. I'm done some range tested on the ground and so far don't see any interference with the plane's RX. I'm also not experiencing any video interference from the motor despite those setups drawing 12V directly from the plane's battery without a regulator.

Here's a few pictures of the plane, which I wanted to have a large fuse in order to protect my camera. I also wanted the plane to have plenty of torque with a low k/v motor so I'm using the 2409-18 and a 10x5 prop to get me out of a bad situation should I need it. Speed is useless in AP but torque can keep you alive. However, she moves along pretty well.

I also made the rudder/elevator large to insure good control at low speeds and am happy to say that she's got plenty of control authority even with the motor off and at an almost dead stall stop in the air. As a side benefit, she'll stunt with the best of them, though I never intended the plane to.

I'll probably throw a build log up on it if anybody is interested. After the failure of my first attempt at AP a few years ago on an Aerobird Challenger (1.2ghz system was causing problems with plane's RX and never worked), to a few short flights with that setup on a Stryker that had problems, to my first scratch built plane intended for AP that never flew good enough to trust a camera on it...I put a lot of thought into this current build and am very happy with the results. She's a joy to fly.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96775.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1019848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63514.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1019849   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55058.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.3 KB