Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

?? WHATS GOOD VIDEO PLANE ENGINEPOD OVER WING ??

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

?? WHATS GOOD VIDEO PLANE ENGINEPOD OVER WING ??

Old 05-22-2005, 07:46 AM
12ftlazybee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? WHATS GOOD VIDEO PLANE ENGINEPOD OVER WING ??

Any photos of your airplane with the enginepod on wing. Any drawbacks, such as fueltank and balance. I liked the idea with engine smut behind and over camera and aircraft. With camera in original engine compartment area can it give you enough room for pan and tilt? Jim
Old 05-22-2005, 09:07 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: ?? WHATS GOOD VIDEO PLANE ENGINEPOD OVER WING ??

I'm flying a Kadet Senior configured that way and have had no real issues as to balance or flying qualities. I have to add in a bit more "up" elevator than normal to keep it from nosing over but that's about it. The engine has to have one or two degrees of "up" thrust instead of "down" like a normal configuration but that's about it.
I like this setup as I get a completely unobstructed view from my camera. Here are some pics and video on my website.
http://www.skidrow-aerodrome.com/
Old 05-22-2005, 08:56 PM
12ftlazybee

OK I recognize A kadet senior now Randall . What engine and fuel tank size did you go with , is that A piece of downspout with A hayes engine mount ? And , is the wing rib and engine strut one piece , ply plastic or alum. ? jim
Old 05-22-2005, 11:36 PM
randall1959

I replied to your email with all the details.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Lynner532

I have an OS LA .40 that I want to use with some type of modified sailplane platform...the modification being to put an engine pod in either a normal, or pusher configuration. I'm thinking about the sailplane because allot of the AP video's I've looked at have such "jerky" motion that its really distracting. I would think a sailplane would solve much of that, and then some electronic stabilization might take care of the rest. I've never flown a sailplane but I guess they would be hard to control in higher winds, which is probably why you don't hear about them as AP platforms very much.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:44 PM
12ftlazybee

THANKS FOR THE INFO RANDAL IT WILL BE PUT TO USE AS I GET TO BUILDING MY KADET SENIOR . AS FAR AS A SAIL PLANE , WIND WILL BE THE THING TO DEAL WITH LYNNER . A SENIOR GETS TOSSED AROUND IN THE WIND , BUT UNLESS I AM CORECTED , THE SENIOR CAN STORE A LOT MORE WEIGHT BEFORE SNAPING A WING AND SHOULD BE A STABLE PLANE IN MILD WIND ? JIM
Old 05-24-2005, 01:39 AM
randall1959

The jerky motion in most ap videos is due to the slow frame rate of the cameras. You need at least 25 frames per second "fps" to acheive fluid video. The Kadet is a real workhorse as far as weight hauling capacity.