Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Large Distance rc camera

Old 06-11-2005, 11:33 AM
sky-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Distance rc camera

Hello

I searched the net upside down and didnt find any wireless rc camera installation that have a good range, everywhere you only see on web, 300 feet!, 150 metres, W.O.W and 200 metres. Isnt there anything better than this , something like 1 mile or something cuz how would you otherwise controll an aircraft that flyes fast and that runs outta the range in a couple of seconds.

the best thing ive seen was about i think only 500 metres of range but.. not enogh

i would appreciate the guy that helps me here finding some tool or some rc camera with great range.

Thanx
Old 06-11-2005, 03:55 PM
mattchase

Default RE: Large Distance rc camera

Check out BlackWidowAV.com, those are some of the best systems available at a reasonable price. I don't have the link, but remember seeing a video of some one flying over 1 mile with one of the Black Widow systems and the picture was perfect the whole time.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:01 PM
jerda
My Feedback: (1)

you should check the forums more theres a lot of info about wireless cameras especially the blackwidow stuff... check it out at www.blackwidowav.com . They have several transmiters for different ranges and a selection of cameras. Didn't someone fly 2 miles with it????
Old 06-11-2005, 08:02 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: mattchase

Check out BlackWidowAV.com, those are some of the best systems available at a reasonable price. I don't have the link, but remember seeing a video of some one flying over 1 mile with one of the Black Widow systems and the picture was perfect the whole time.
Here's my one mile video......

http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2th...=952&prog=true
Old 06-12-2005, 03:11 PM
sky-pilot

ORIGINAL: 2thDr

So you did control the plane totaly from an lcd screen ?
how much did the system cost you?and what is the range

Old 06-12-2005, 03:13 PM
sky-pilot

i know th website but why does it cost so damn much more than it should, i mean its only the tranmetter and the receiver taht matters for the range, so why does only the cameras cost like 399 or 899 dolarsssssssss!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2005, 05:24 PM
mattchase

The cameras don't cost that much, the one that most people get is about $150 if you buy it alone, and less if you buy a complete kit. The most expensive camera he has is $220. The complete kits come with the transmitter, reciever, camera, and patch antenna starting at $250, and go up in reasonable increments from there. I don't even see anything at blackwidowav that costs $900, the most expensive single item is the eyeglass LCD monitor kit, which is around $400. The kit I have seen used most for fairly good distance is the 600mw brown bag kit for $290. It does require a little assembly, but comes with all the major parts you need and a decent amount of transmitter power.
Old 06-12-2005, 05:52 PM
sky-pilot

The cameras don't cost that much, the one that most people get is about $150 if you buy it alone, and less if you buy a complete kit. The most expensive camera he has is $220. The complete kits come with the transmitter, reciever, camera, and patch antenna starting at $250, and go up in reasonable increments from there. I don't even see anything at blackwidowav that costs $900, the most expensive single item is the eyeglass LCD monitor kit, which is around $400. The kit I have seen used most for fairly good distance is the 600mw brown bag kit for $290. It does require a little assembly, but comes with all the major parts you need and a decent amount of transmitter power.
thanx..

anyway i dont have an idea about the distance in meters , evereywhere the talking about mw, 50mw, 600mw, etc , can any body help me please!! and can i purchase any camera from another site and connect it to blackwidows Reicv. and Trans.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:19 PM
sky-pilot

hello

very nice flight!

How much did it cost for you to ship , i live in sweden and wanting to know ????????

Old 06-13-2005, 10:44 AM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: 2thDr

So you did control the plane totaly from an lcd screen ?
how much did the system cost you?and what is the range

Yes, it was flown totally from an LCD screen. I haven't determined the range yet but I'll bet it's around 3 miles or so. Since that video was made I have flown 1.2 miles, still with great reception. I suppose I'll try a 2 mile flight next, but first I'm going to get an FMA copilot in case I lose control of the plane........at least it will decend nice and level that way, instead of crash landing nose first......
Old 06-13-2005, 12:11 PM
sky-pilot

what range was on your system , was it 600mw from blackwidow.com?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:41 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: sky-pilot

what range was on your system , was it 600mw from blackwidow.com?

Yes, it's a 600 mw brown bag system from BlackWidow.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM
narko

I've taken some decent videos up to about 400ft with only a 3mW transmitter
Old 06-13-2005, 04:52 PM
sky-pilot

can someone please explain to me the mesure of the mw/distance in meters cauz i have no idea what for exampel the distance is in 600mw?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:21 PM
2thDr

ORIGINAL: sky-pilot

can someone please explain to me the mesure of the mw/distance in meters cauz i have no idea what for exampel the distance is in 600mw?

The mw is not a measure of distance. It is a measure of the power of the transmitter.

The broadcast distance you can expect from the transmitter depends on the environment. In space, you could probably transmit video hundreds or thousands of miles (or more)with a 600 mw transmitter. If you are broadcasting through the Earth's atmosphere, then other variables will come into play, like altitude, local radio interference, air density, temperature, weather, etc. So there is not "one" magic transmitting distance you can expect from a transmitter of a particular wattage. The receiving antenna has a lot to do with how far you can fly a 600 mw transmitter away and still receive a signal. In fact, the receiving antenna is probably more important than the mw of the transmitter if you're trying to receive good video at long distances.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:57 PM
rcairplanenut

Hello,

Being repetitive here but I also have a Black Widow system. Mine is a 600mw brown bag kit. With the patch antenna on the RX the reception gets better the further away the TX is from the RX. Sounds odd but that is what I have seen so far. The 600mw should easily get a decent signal even 2000M out. From what I have seen from other peoples systems lousing sight of your aircraft will be a bigger problem then TX RX range. I went with the BWAV systems because of reading all the good reviews, if one of the brand “X” AV systems turns out to be a lemon it will get costly regardless and they probably would not have a return policy. Keep in mind that all most any of the AV systems will require some knowledge in electronics. Hard wired wires, lack of connectors / harness, no microphone and an implied electrical schematic have been my only disappointments with my system. Despite that stuff I am quite pleased with my BWAV kit and I would recommend it for someone looking for a hi quality system.

SG
Old 06-14-2005, 04:13 PM
sky-pilot

hi
I have one question: Do you know whythe cameras there cost so much as 99[:@] and up while in othe sites it costs the half, is it the quality or just expensive?
thanx'

By the way is the brown bag the only thing you bought =290 or did you buy some special antenna/receiver?

i may ask to much but i realy need help with advise before i buy. Thanx
Old 06-14-2005, 05:14 PM
rcairplanenut

Hello,

With shipping the 600mw brown bag ended up being 296$
The patch antenna comes with the kit
If you include batteries that will add an additional 45 bucks or so unless you use a spare 9.6 and 4.8V packs that you own
You will need at least 2 servo extensions use the female side to get power from your batteries to the TX and RX. Remember that the 9.6V pack goes on the BWAV RX and the 4.8V pack goes on the BWAV TX. Using standard radio power packs is the simplest, safest and cheapest way I have found to power the system. I wanted a modular system so I bought several more servo extensions to make my own harness that connects the cam, TX and battery.
The camera almost seems like the ones they will install into a hand held video recorder. It is a hi quality camera, I am not an electronics expert but from looking at the circuit board they spent some money on it.
Regardless of what live down link video system you chouse it will cost a big chunk of change and you do get what you pay for, so far I have over 600$ invested in my total system that includes the stuff I see and record video with. It all depends on how badly you want to get into live video and how much money you have saved up for it.

SG
Old 06-15-2005, 05:42 AM
sky-pilot

thank you for reply,

how long time does the standard 4,8 and 9,6 packs work before the rx and tx quit?

where do I find these femal servo extensions?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 PM
rcairplanenut

Hi again,

I am guessing that they should last over an hour, I have had over 45 mins of run time on an old charge and it was still working. Nimh packs should be able to give you longer runtimes then NiCds.

You can buy female only plugs from a well-stocked hobby store or tower but I just bought some servo extensions and cut them up as needed. I don’t think there is much of a price difference between female only and a servo extension. I used a brand that is new to me called blue zone, I was able to get 6” extensions with heavy duty wires & gold plated connections for 3.50$ piece from graves hobbies in Orlando.

SG
Old 06-16-2005, 06:15 AM
sky-pilot

i live in Sweden so where can I find these on the net?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:52 AM
kd7ost

ORIGINAL: rcairplanenut

With the patch antenna on the RX the reception gets better the further away the TX is from the RX. Sounds odd but that is what I have seen so far. The 600mw should easily get a decent signal even 2000M out.
That would typically be due to transmitter antenna orientation. We generally set these up in a vertical plane. Pointing straight up or straight down from the fuselage. The RF energy radiates away from the antenna along its long axis. Imagine a big donut shape with your antenna in the middle. The donut perimeter is where you would get the best signal. As you fly overhead, you have the end of the antenna pointing straight at you. That’s the Null of the antenna. As you get farther away, you’re getting your plane positioned so that you are now in the RF energy radiated pattern better.

Dan
Old 06-16-2005, 11:57 AM
rcairplanenut

Good point, there where some fencing, and people between the antennas when I did my flight test as well. I have had the 2 antennas in the correct orientation at my house when I had the RX plugged into the TV in the living room the top face of the patch antenna was pointing right at the long axis of the TX antenna when I was testing my setup the signal was grainy until I got the 2 antennas at least 20 feet apart then it started to clear up. Now that you bring up the patch antenna orientation I will have to point it in the general area my aircraft will be flying in, instead of straight up and I should get even better results next time I fly.

Thanks

SG
Old 06-16-2005, 12:01 PM
rcairplanenut

Sky,

Tower hobbies ships internationally there web site is at www.towerhobbies.com
The servo extensions they sell are at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXL287&P=ML
They are a bit more then the blue zone ones I bought but they will get the job done

SG