Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

BlackWidow 2.4Ghz @ 1000mw 1st Video!

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

BlackWidow 2.4Ghz @ 1000mw 1st Video!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Ogriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BlackWidow 2.4Ghz @ 1000mw 1st Video!

I performed a search and found several threads regarding the 200mw and 600mw systems, but I did not see any regarding the 1000mw system. Does anybody have any opinions or sample video for this system?

Thanks

Old 06-13-2005, 03:21 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: BlackWidow 2.4Ghz @ 1000mw

The 1000mw bare unit needs a heat sink, it gets really hot. I have one direct from China, same unit. Works well.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:54 PM
sky-pilot

what is the range of 1000mw, if my calculating is right it should be 12 km or am I tottaly wrong????
Old 06-14-2005, 04:48 AM
Ogriv

Well, I ordered one today. If the unit gets hot, perhaps I can direct some prop wash near it to keep it cool.

Old 06-17-2005, 05:18 AM
Ogriv

Well, I received the system today in the mail. I was very impressed with the speedy delivery (Thanks Bill!) I was amazed at just how small the individual components were. I wired everything up on the bench to determine if heat was actually a factor. Once I applied power the signal was locked in immediately. Unlike the cheap Ebay systems that have a tuning knob that requires constant adjustment, this system has dip switches to select any one of 8 PLL channels. Awesome! Well, after about ten minutes of moving the camera around the room like I was superman, I discovered that the little transmitter gets VERY hot. There is a heatsink attached to the Tx, but it was obvious that it was going to require some air moving across it to assist in cooling. I decided to simply mount the Tx on the outside of my plane (Thunder Tiger 60 Trainer with an OS .61fx). I located a spot on the left side (opposite the exhaust). I used some thin rubber to cushion the Tx from the vibration of the fuse and used smzll zip ties to secure it. I am charging the batteries up and will take it to the field VERY SOON! I will hopefully post a great video soon! I mounted the camera way out in the left wing, all the wires are run inside the wing. I had to use 3 45 caliber bullets (not shells just bullets) in the tip of the right wing to counter-balance the wing. I'll dig up some pics I took while building the wing and post them if you want to see.

Anybody else make videos with this system?
Old 06-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Ogriv

BlackWidow AV Rocks!

I took my system to the field this afternoon, and what a day it turned out to be. The system worked great. I used the factory whip antennas just to try it out. But they sure impressed me, I only had a few instances where the video was flawwed. I NEVER LOST THE SIGNAL, I only had some slight noise occasionally. My first flight lasted about 15 minutes and my second flight lasted about 8 minutes. The video is just plain amazing. I tried to copy it from my MiniDV Camcorder thru firewire to Movie Maker, but the quality went to crap! I'll have to check the settings to see if there is a better setting for a clear copy.

What do you guys use to transfer your videos to the PC? For those of you that record audio, where did you get your microphone?

FYI: The transmitter temperature was as cool as ice being strapped to the outside of the plane.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2005, 06:29 PM
yb2normal

Hi Mike, sounds like you are having fun

For transfering video to the pc I use Pinnacle Studio 9. I'm downloading from my Sony TRV22 via firewire.

Not sure what is going on with your setup, I always assumed that the capture from a camcorder via firewire was 'lossless'. It was only after you rendered for the internet that things go to crap.

You might have some settings to play with. As a rule of thumb, 8 meg per 1 minute clip at 320 x 240 can give a reasonably good looking video on the internet.

Can't wait to see your video

Bill
Old 06-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Ogriv

Bill,

Thanks for the great equipment! I'm really impressed. I'm stuck on the audio part though. I went thru my junk box and found several microphones. none of them worked with this transmitter. What microphone setup do you suggest with this system? The video is great, but without the sound of the engine it is hard to visualize the actual speed of the plane. Our club is having a large fly-in August 13th and we are so impressed with this system that we are going to take a large television set to the field and let the public and other pilots watch the live video. We just need sound to complete it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I assume that the system needs a microphone with a preamplifier. I could build one, but I would prefer to buy one at this point.

Here is a snippet of the video. It is missing ALOT of the flight due to size constraints (Basically I joined the beginning of the flight with the end). But it gives you an idea of well the system is working. The system definately shines at higher altitudes.

<link removed>
Old 06-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Ogriv

Default RE: BlackWidow 2.4Ghz @ 1000mw 1st Video!

OK,

After some research, I discovered that the Transmitter needs a line level microphone to operate correctly. I found a Lapel microphone with Line Level output for only $8.00 at WWW.SCDLINK.COM . I ordered it and will have it in 3 days. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:02 AM
Ogriv

Well, the microphone arrived! I installed it in the plane last night and ran some preliminary test. IT WORKS! If the weather allows, I'll take a test flight this evening after work. I wrapped the microphone in padding and strapped it to a piece of balsa inside the plane. I hope everything goes well.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 AM
Huntster

What is the cost of a unit like this for the whole thing from the Camera to the the Reciever? I would plug it into my Laptop to recieve, If that is possible.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:33 AM
PlaneKrazee

I saw an ad for a system that is designed to have the output from the receiver go directly into a laptop computer for processing and it comes with software. It was in one of the r/c rags. Pretty much makes a lot of equipment out of date/pita.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:39 AM
PlaneKrazee

Mike B,

Do you have a item number and or description for the mic you purchased?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Ogriv

Sure! It is Model# : MIC1000 Description: High performance microphone. $8.00

I have roughly $300 dollars invested in my AV system. But it is well worth it!

I run my signal into my digital camcorder. You could purchase a USB capture device to run it directly into a laptop, I think those are about $70.00

If anybody is interested, I could post pictures of my install.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Huntster

Abo****ley, Pix are worth a thousand words. I didn't think about the Digital Camcorder. I have one and I love squirting my Vids into the laptop and composing more exciting videos. It's much better than the old days fo VHS when we had to fastforwdr through all the junk on the tape.

Pix would help me to understand. I am going to get my info so that next year when I am ready to buy I'll have an idea of what to get.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:19 AM
zr1s10
My Feedback: (2)

How would this system work on an r/c car? Where does the power come from? How does it handle bumps? Also how big is everything?

I've been trying to research a setup for a while now! I really want somthing easy to use (not constant frequency adjusting) that has decent picture, sound, and can handle a little abuse!
Old 06-25-2005, 03:07 PM
sky-pilot

please tell me, did you use a lcd to fly or did you just control it by sight?