Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Technical Questions

Old 06-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Mode1Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technical Questions

Greetings,

I'm currrently using a Great Planes Spectra electric glider, with a BWAV 200MW setup for airborne video. I'm thinking of adding an additional Futaba receiver with 2 small servos for a pan/tilt arrangement...to be operated by an assistant with his own Tx.

My question is...can I splice in a parallel female connector on the speed controller, so as to run both receivers from the ONE speed controller???

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Old 06-14-2005, 05:25 PM
rcairplanenut

Default RE: Technical Questions

I am not sure what radio you have but if you have the capability you might be better off using 2 unused channels on your flight radio for pan and tilt unless you want a 2nd operator aiming the cam. A 2nd RX & TX = more weight, complexity, less space, …………..

SG
Old 06-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Pup Cam

Hi,

Having a seperate system for the camera and an operator is a good idea. The pilot can't fly properly and be admiring the view at the same time. My own design unit uses an old 27Mhz radio, has an airborne video recorder (avoids dropouts) and a downlink. The operator can use a TFT monitor or Eye Trek VR goggles. (Monitor gives best image but goggles enable operator to concentrate better). As far as using the same supply for both receivers/servos is concerned. I don't think it should be a problem but of course you must check carefully before commiting to the air. I do not advise using the same supply to run the radio gear and the video system.

You can see some sample pictures from my system at http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Photos.htm by the way you will find that the best camera operators are under 21 and have spent far too long playing PC games!

Old 06-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Mode1Mike

It just occurred to me after I posted this question last night...that perhaps I could just fabricate a jumper...and jump the two rx's together at the bus bar.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone had done this before? And with what luck?

I do indeed want to have a seperate operator for camera only...with seperate Tx and Rx.

I'll give it a try and let you guys know how it works.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:32 PM
redfox435cat

this is exacly what you need to do and it works good. Sacrifice 2 aileron extensions and pull the pins and set it up with the white wire removed and a female end on each end plug it into an empty channel on each reciever