Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

RC for Insurance

Old 06-29-2005, 04:12 PM
Astrogiblet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC for Insurance

How well do you think it would work to use a Helicopter and a video camera to take insurance pictures/videos of roofs and houses? My dad's an insurance adjuster and he has heard of people doing this before, and we wanted to look into it. It would be much easier then hauling the ladder around, unfolding it, going on the extremely hot roof and risking falling off.

Thanks,

-Brandon
Old 06-29-2005, 05:33 PM
redfox435cat

Default RE: RC for Insurance

depend on your ability as a heli pilot. its an awsome platform for a camera or video. If your a rookie pilot then you'd be puting your business in seriouse jeporty if you attempt it.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Astrogiblet

Yea... I heard it can be a pain to fly heli's... My hobby shop sells a kit (for $200) of everything you will break on your first try with this beginner Heli...

-Brandon
Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 PM
rcairplanenut

Hello,

If you are not used to helis you need to get darn good at that first before you try to make a business out of it, if not there may be a few insurance climes maid from it if you know what I mean. I did teach my self to fly helicopters and I have had hundreds of successful flights with them, but it takes effort and time and some doe. There is a huge potential risk of operating helis even more so in the public, 4 foot rotor spinning at 2000rpm with a steel leading edge can spell disaster for anyone near it and I do speak from experience. What I have seen that does work well is larger size electric park flyers caring up wireless video or still cameras. There are many examples in the rc universe air photo section. That would be a cheaper, safer and a more of a guaranty of successes.

SG
Old 06-30-2005, 06:57 AM
emailbanter
My Feedback: (2)

Also, speaking as a Claims Manager you would have to get "very" close to the roof in order to take clear enough close ups of the shingle or roof damage as part of the claim file in determining the source of damage, whether it's a partial repair or total replacement. Most digital cameras won't get you close enough for that kind of work unless you can get the helicopter "really" close to the roof and I'm not sure you want to do that.

My advice, bring the ladder and perform your roof inspections in a traditional way.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:42 AM
redfox435cat

Well in that case forget about even attempting it. You need to be able to operate with precision and confidence. I wouldn't even think about with less than 2 years of solid flight experience. These things are dangerous. If you hit someone, especially at an undesignated flight area you'll not only loss your heli but your business your house and everything else ya own. Maybe even your freedom for negligence.
I know it's a cool idea but DONT until you can fly. Not just think you can fly but really absolutely can control the model, and do so without having to show off
Sorry for the rant. We almost got out field that isn't even done yet shut down because some rookie thought he could fly
Old 06-30-2005, 03:41 PM
rcking
My Feedback: (8)

hello
it does not matter if you are the best pilot in the world , there is always a chance of dumb thumbs & or mechanical failour [sorry about the spelling] and a good quailty camra with live video would require a ham license [the FCC prohibits making any money/income useing a ham license for profit]
if it were to hit the roof you would be liable! that would be a mess.
but its a cool idea!
c ya
Old 06-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Astrogiblet

Yea, it sounds dangerous, but we have heard of people doing this before... What about a digital camera with zoom? I could be far enough off the roof to not harm it and I could still get close up pics.

-Brandon
Old 07-01-2005, 08:20 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

the FCC prohibits making any money/income useing a ham license for profit
Need to check, but I also think the FAA regulates commercial flying of remotely piloted vehicles (models). Recreational/sport flying is exempted, but as soon as you use it for commercial purposes, a whole new set of regulations apply.

Brad