Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

2.4ghz 2000mw transmitter and receiver -CHEAP

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

2.4ghz 2000mw transmitter and receiver -CHEAP

Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 PM
critterhunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2.4ghz 2000mw transmitter and receiver -CHEAP

What's wrong with the stock antenna and are you planning to just remove the cover or replace the whole thing? If you are going to replace the TX and/or RX antenna where are you guys buying those from? Can I get by with the stock antenna? Also, will this unit give decent range without a patch on the RX?

Old 09-29-2005, 04:41 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Those antennas actually work VERY well. That little circuit at the bottom of the antenna is a base load. Mine does really well with the stock antennas. I sent photos to Bill Strong a while back asking if I could use better antennas and he told me that the ones that came with it were high gain. They look funky but they work a long long ways out.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:05 AM
bruce_lee

oh ok, i just thought they looked a bit tacky if you know what i mean, but the range is very far but it brakes up alot on the ground.. but in the air it will be just fine, the case i took it off to see how much it would weigh, because it is heavy with the case on...
Old 09-29-2005, 09:31 AM
critterhunter

Welp, just took the plunge and bought the 2.4ghz 2000mw tx/rx! So, let me get this straight...this unit will give great range with the stock antennas and no patch antenna? Any tips on taking the case off and what can be scrapped off the TX would be great. Randall said there is a 5V regulator under the board? Curious as to what voltage input this regulator can handle as I'll be running it off an 11.1 volt lipo. What size battery are you feeding it? The Cmos camera I'll be using on it for now takes a voltage input of around 9 volts. I guess I'll have to use my 9 volt regulator to power that camera seperate unless there is a 9 volt source on the TX card? Servo leads for plugs is a good idea...I have a few scrap servos from the stock Stryker servos I can rip the wires off of. Any other tips would be welcome. Also, where can I get a good yet cheap CCD camera to replace the CMOS unit I have now with? This one does give a pretty good picture though so I'm in no hurry. Also not done with the 800mw 1.2ghz transmitter as I want to try the vertical orientation on the antenna that somebody suggested. This thing is supposed to give good range. Randall or others can you give an overview of how well the video on the 2.4ghz unit is at distance and/or plane position in the sky? Also curious which way you have the RX and TX antennas mounted. Am I to understand this unit does a constant "lock" onto the signal so there is no need to keep tuning?
Old 09-29-2005, 12:00 PM
bruce_lee

yes there is great range with stock antenna's, but if you want improved range then get a patch.. it is easy to take the case off, just undo 4 screwws and it slides the top off then another 4 screws that hold the circuit to the base of the case. it's easy. the voltage input is 9-12v. your battery will be perfect.... i dont have mine mounted yet ... and yes the unit does "lock" onto the signal so there is no need to keep tuning. it also has 4 channels for incase you are geting interference on another.
thats all i know..

check out photos to see it with case off:
http://www.psp-messenger.co.uk/photos/
Old 09-29-2005, 01:16 PM
critterhunter

Hey, I've seen mention on other threads in this forum of a website where guys hack into cameras to make them do things they didn't originaly feature. I have an Aiptek 5100M digital camcorder that people are using as onboard recording devices (fairly small and light unit). This camera features a USB and a video out port but no video in. I would think it would make a great recording/viewing device on the ground to hitch the plane camera's RX to. This way I don 't have to lug a TV/VCR to the field to view and record what the plane is seeing. Has anybody heard of video in ports being hacked onto these or other cameras?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:34 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Hi CritterHunter,

Its been a while since I read this thread, but im guess you really like the live video I flew all afternoon yesterday (2 hours in the air) using my video goggles and had a great time As far as your questions.. The foil finish in your plane will totally block radio waves at 1.2 and 2.4 GHZ, you need to have your antenna below that if you want it to work well. Vertical orientation is best, because the most signal radiates off the sides, with the weak spots being on the ends of the antenna. Very rarely is the airplane perfectly above you, and when its directly above, you are ok with a weak signal because there is nothing to block it. Its when the airplane is to the front and sides of you where you start getting your longest distances, and you need strong signal to overcome the distance and blockage from trees etc... Mount the TX antenna vertical below your plane and you will get the best all around signal.

Build the patch antenna, it is awesome and will GREATLY improve your reception. You do not need a frequency counter to build one, just use the frequency listed on the transmitter, and that will do... Make sure you get the measurements as close as humanly possible when building your patch. Even just a little off the measurements listed for that antenna will really hurt its performance. Also make sure you use Microwave rated coax to feed it. Regular TV and Radio coax is useless at 2.4 GHZ and your antenna will barely work at all.

Mose importantly, make sure you post some really cool vidoes, I would like to see your flying
Old 10-02-2005, 03:57 PM
bruce_lee

has any one got theirs yet?
Old 10-02-2005, 06:28 PM
Skycam41

Hopefully in the next day or two
Old 10-03-2005, 09:37 AM
critterhunter

I ordered mine on Sept 29th...When did you guys order and where is yours shipping to? My delivery point is Ohio. Hope they aren't back ordered or something as when I bought it said 4 in stock. By the way, with shipping the US Dollar price came to about $56. A really good price for a 2w 2.4ghz system is it does what everybody hopes it does.

Maybe Randall or somebody else will know the answer to this. For now I'll be using the CMOS camera off my 800mw 1.2ghz camera. This camera gives a pretty good picture for a CMOS. It's rated at 9 to 12V. Is there a power lead off the 2.4ghz system for the camera? If so, what's it's voltage output? Either way, what I'm wondering is if I feed the camera off the 5 volt regulator found in the 2.4ghz TX (I assume the TX runs on 5 volts via a 12 volt power source?) I wonder if this camera will work on 5V? Guess the only thing to do is try. I'll be using a 11.1V lipo the plane runs on. I have a few options here...run the camera directly off the lipo voltage...Run the camera off a 9V regulator I have it wired to now...Run the camera off the 5 volt regulator in the TX. Ideas? I'd like to keep weight to a minimum which means I'd like to not use the 9V regulator, although this chip weighs almost nothing.

Thanks for the info on antenna position. Haven't tried verticle with the 800mw TX yet...and will probably not mess with it for a while since the 2.4ghz system will be my choice on the plane. May stick the 800mw unit on a boat or truck. Actually, I was thinking of putting it on a boat. I do a lot of jump shooting pounds for ducks and geese. Many of these ponds are strip mined which means they are long, narrow, and go around corners. It'd be nice to just drive the boat around the bend to check for birds without having to walk the thickets.

Still looking for somebody to chime in on a cheap good camera to replace the CMOS. I would guess I'd want a 5V since that's what the regulator in the TX uses.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:40 AM
randall1959

Yes, there are two sockets on that tx. One is in and one is output. Back when I was using a CCD camera I would plug it in and power it off the video tx. Don't worry critter. You'll be fine. You can also use your 3 cell lipos to power it.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:12 PM
bruce_lee

lol beat me too it by miles.. that battery of yours will be perfect for it..

EDIT: also i bought mine on the 21st of sept and got it on the 28th, im in the uk..
Old 10-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Skycam41

Mine arrived today, very well packaged I might add. Removing the case reduces the weight consderably! I see that the power input has a range of 9-12v. Anyone modified theirs for the 5V regulator that Randall was speaking of? I am electronically "challenged" and need some step by step instructions if anyone is able to give them!
Old 10-05-2005, 02:48 PM
bruce_lee

no i just put a 9.6v battery on mine but it's on my car.. , can you do me a favour.. when u wire it all up to test it just move the transmitter around alot and see if it breaks up a little bit. even at close range. beasue mine goes VERY far but it brakes up when it's moving.. i need to know if yours is the same.

also i dumped everything onto my truck today and held everything on with zipties. but like i said above it brakes up while moveing. it just flashes..anyway here are the pics:
http://psp-messenger.co.uk/photos/6.jpg
http://psp-messenger.co.uk/photos/5.jpg
lol it's a mess i know but i was just testing.. tuck needs a clean too
Old 10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Skycam41

I did a quick test at home and was able to move all around the house, upstairs, downstairs without loss of picture. Now I need to hook up a camera that looks out from the front door to see if mother in law is coming...haha.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:06 PM
bruce_lee

well it looses picture for like under a sec..i think it could be somthing interfering with it. because if i move it to where it broke up and keep it there it stays broke up if you know what i mean.. it's like a dead spot. even tho im right next to the receiver,, do u think a wireless router might interfere? i will have to test it in the middle of nowhere..
Old 10-05-2005, 09:38 PM
TAISUN

Hi Guys:

This is Don Shulman-Jason & David's Dad. I have been reading about your experiences with 'Transmitting Cameras'. We have used many different types, and although they are fairly inexpensive-we have developed a tiny (1.3oz.) Micro~Cam.

We just put it up on our site:

This little 'Micro~Cam' has a small 'plasma' screen, and a CCD lens that will give you 680 X 480 pixels-the same resolution as your computer or 32" TV.
We supply the 'Micro~Cam', battery, CD for drivers, and USB cable-you only need to supply the 'action.'
It will record for 20 minutes and then you can download it to your computer and then record some more. You can also 'delete' any recording before, or after, the download. With the built in screen, you can watch your flight and either save or delete it. This camera also has 'audio'-so you can hear all the action.

These cameras are shipping now and you can order them using your Visa, MC, or AMEX card. The complete Micro~Cam sells for $225.00, and freight runs about $6-8.00, depending on where you are.

Please let us know if you have any other questions, or would like to order one. Thanks and enjoy.............

Regards,
Don Shulman
TAI-SUN U.S.A. & ShulmanAviation
Ph/Fax: 1-407-359-1020 Cell: 1-407-721-3332
email: taisunusa@aol.com Web: ShulmanAviation.com

Follow the link below and you can see the HIGH quality of this unit

[link]http://www.bvmjets.com/videos/DShulman_bbndt.wmv[/link]
Old 10-06-2005, 02:43 AM
randall1959

Take it outside away from your computer and household wiring. I'd bet that wireless router is the culprit.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:15 AM
critterhunter

About the 5 volt regulator. It's built into the unit under the board from what I understand. Most regulators have a very wide input voltage range, probably from around 3 or 4 volts up to 12 or so...while putting out the 5 volts the TX needs on the other end. I would assume the output power lead to the camera (if the TX has one) will be 5 volts, so if your camera won't run on the 5 volts (even a 9 volt camera MIGHT run on the 5V) you'll have to feed the camera power directly from the plane battery or via a seperate regulator the outputs the required voltage from the plane's battery. Even though a straight voltage from my 11.1v lipo plane battery should power my camera fine, I plane to use the 9V regulator chip I have if the camera won't work on the 5V from the TX regulator. Nice thing about regulators is they keep the voltage stable and constant as the battery drains, not to mention helping to eliminate any electrical noise from the power source that might find it's way to the video. My system should be arriving any day now and can't wait to start hacking it.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Skycam41

I checked mine last night. When powered from a 12v transformer the regulator had 5 volts on one side and only 8v on the other side. The red circled regulator is what I am referring to.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72724.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	334939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56552.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	334940  
Old 10-06-2005, 01:35 PM
bruce_lee

so.. how come there is 8v on 1 side and 5 on other, when u are puting 12 in?? and what about the green ring on the pic? that looks like the main one, whats the voltage reading on that 1?
Old 10-06-2005, 01:40 PM
Skycam41

Yes, interesting...the green circled one get me 4 volts and 6 volts when using 12 in....it does drop about a half volt on each side when using 9v input
Old 10-06-2005, 01:47 PM
bruce_lee

hmm... well im not going to mess with it becasue if it brakes then i got to wait again..
Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 PM
bruce_lee

so if it's going from 8v to 5v what is droping it down from 12v to 8v....
Old 10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Skycam41

It's possible that what I have been checking is voltage at the transmitter and that there is a signal amplifier inside of that sealed sliver box that reduces from 12v?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.