Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

2.4ghz 2000mw transmitter and receiver -CHEAP

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

2.4ghz 2000mw transmitter and receiver -CHEAP

Old 09-20-2005, 06:43 PM
bruce_lee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4ghz 2000mw transmitter and receiver -CHEAP

hi i just bought this from ebay it was only £30

check it out.. dose any 1 think this will be powerfull. and im puting it on a rc car so it dosent really matter about weight. i thought id post it here becasue i see they are talked about alot here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4chs-Digital-C...QQcmdZViewItem

well i think it is a bargain. I will find out when i get it..
Old 09-20-2005, 08:19 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: 2.4ghz 2000mw transmitter and receiver -CHEAP

That is very very very cheap for a transmitter of that power.... A two watt 2.4 GHZ device usually costs hundredes of dollars [X(] I have never heard of the company that makes that, but I am very curious if this will work and if it will give you much range, please report back when you get it and let us all konw !!!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:04 PM
smokingcrater

someone can work out the math, but I'm guessing that 2 watts at 2.4ghz is REALLY going to suck down a battery, so i'm guessing it is lucky to even get 1/4 of that. (keep in mind I'm also 99% sure that isn't close to legal, no matter where you live!)
Old 09-21-2005, 07:38 AM
hueyman
My Feedback: (2)

it appears that the size/weight of the transmitter would prohibit use on most of the smaller less powerful model aircraft. the transmitter looks to be the same size as the receiver. most receivers i have looked at are too large and too heavy for my park flyers to hual.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:40 AM
bruce_lee

yes it will be powerfull. and maybe use alot of power, but if you have a good battery and a couple charged that should sort that.

and for the weight couldnt you take of the case?

dont u think it will be ok on a engine plane?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:59 AM
bruce_lee

lol i just found some small print......

Notice: The product is prohibited from illegal activities. I will not be liable for any illegal action arises from this cctv.

hmm.. well i will be living in fuerteventura (canary islands) soon so i think it will be ok there..

Also blackwidowav sell 3000mw transmiters.. so???
Old 09-21-2005, 01:36 PM
JettPilot

I have a 5 watt and a 3 watt black widow transmitter, and they both work very well . But you generally get what you pay for and that "2 watt" just seems to cheap to be real, thats why im wondering how it works, of if they are lieing about the power it puts out [:@]

I wouldnt worry about the legality because my guess is that transmitter wont send a signal far enough to bother anyone, so no one will really care. But please let us all know your results, I am curious[sm=confused.gif].

JettPilot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22750.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	327265  
Old 09-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Skycam41

ORIGINAL: bruce_lee

hi i just bought this from ebay it was only £30

check it out.. dose any 1 think this will be powerfull. and im puting it on a rc car so it dosent really matter about weight. i thought id post it here becasue i see they are talked about alot here

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4chs-Digital-C...QQcmdZViewItem

well i think it is a bargain. I will find out when i get it..
Please keep us posted....that is an amazing price!!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:44 PM
bruce_lee

I am too, but what the heck, it's only £30, ill keep u updated
Old 09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Skycam41

Shipping is pricey here to NA but if the product is good then I guess it is still a great deal! I emailed the seller looking for size and weight info of the TX.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:47 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

I have their 1.5 watt version and if you take it out of the case and substitute servo leads for the rca plugs it's very light. My setup will give video as far as I dare to fly. Especially with the GP Patch antenna I made for for my receiver.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:14 AM
bruce_lee

cool, sounds good.... just 1 thing... what battery do u think will be ok to power this.. i have a 9.6v 1200mah batt but it's a bit heavy..
Old 09-22-2005, 08:38 AM
critterhunter

I'd also like to know what the size and weight of the TX is without the case. I'm looking for a TX for my 800mw wireless cam that I bought last year. It should have provided good distance but I screwed up the solder points on the TX card to probably beyond repair. Anybody have any suggestiong for a tiny/light TX card that will give great range?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:01 PM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

I'm looking for a TX for my 800mw wireless cam that I bought last year. It should have provided good distance but I screwed up the solder points on the TX card to probably beyond repair.
Hi Critter Hunter,

No need to throw in the thowel in yet on your transmitter.. I do a lot of soldering of VERY small connections to wireless computer gear, etc. If you would like me to give it a shot to solder connections on your transmitter for you, let me know and I will be happy to do it for free. Send me a PM if you are interested...

JettPilot
Old 09-25-2005, 12:30 AM
Skycam41

ORIGINAL: critterhunter

I'd also like to know what the size and weight of the TX is without the case. I'm looking for a TX for my 800mw wireless cam that I bought last year. It should have provided good distance but I screwed up the solder points on the TX card to probably beyond repair. Anybody have any suggestiong for a tiny/light TX card that will give great range?
Approx 7cm x 10.5cm x 3cm, I do not have the weight information as of yet and this is the dimensions of the TX.
Old 09-25-2005, 11:18 AM
critterhunter

Very generous offer to fix the 800mw TX for me, Thanks. However, I fixed it the other day myself. I'm pretty good at soldering but when it comes to very tiny spots that I've globbed too much solder to I have problems. I soldered some really small gage single strand wire to the four connections and then used an exacto knife to cut the globbed shorts I made out. Works fine! Took it up on my BP21 Stryker yesterday for the first time. Mounted the cam/tx on the X-port module mount with a zip tie. This made the plane slightly more nose heavy but a little up trim compensated and she fley nice...a little slower than normal but real stable. I was near a metal building so I could only get a good picture within about 70 yards and almost directly overhead. I think the problem was the metal buidling as I hear this 800mw tx will get real good range. I had the TX receiver on a plastic pole about five feet off the ground. Few questions...since the antenna on the camera TX is horizontal should I also adjust the RX antenna to horizontal? Should I figure out a way to mount the TX with the antenna verticle for better reception? Also, I'm using chrome paint on the plane and think this stuff contains aluminum? Since the TX antenna is on top of the plane perhaps I'm reflecting the signal off the wing and out into space? Either way, I'm excited about the fact that the camera isn't getting engine static (using a 9v regulator to feed the camera off the plane's battery), and that the plane's control isn't being bothered by the camera signal. Although I hear this TX gets great range I'd be interested in a better RX antenna for a 1.2ghz receiver if anybody can point me to one.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:40 AM
JettPilot

Hi Critter Hunter,

Im glad you got it working You can make a 1.2 GHZ patch antenna pretty cheaply and easily that will improve your range a LOT. Here is the URL to build it !!!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...antenna+build+

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-26-2005, 09:02 AM
critterhunter

Thanks for the links! Don't you need a frequency counter to first figure out what frequency the TX is transmitting do build one? Before I go that route I'm going to see if I can get this stock setup working at far ranges. As I said, I hear this 800mw setup will get some real good range without adding a fancy antenna. I believe the problem with my first and only outing may have been: A) The nearby metal building B) The fact that I had the TX antenna laying horizontal across the wing C) The chrome paint on my Stryker may contain aluminum powder and thus be reflecting the signal upward. Other possible problems could be the 9 volt regulator I'm using I think the TX card can run on 12 volts. On the other hand, the setup original came with a 9V battery plug so I guess 9V is OK for it. I'm going to play with it in a farm field first and see if the reception improves. After all the problems I put up with last year trying to get this camera to work on a Challenger but never being able to sort out interference problems with the plane's RX I'm just VERY happy to have the Stryker flying well with the camera and can now go from there!
Old 09-27-2005, 08:28 AM
critterhunter

Does anybody have a link to this product that has the price listed in US currency? Don't care if it's coming from Hong Kong. Want to buy one.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Skycam41

It's not in US funds but in British pounds....about double right now, so about $60 [link=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7536687297&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:UK:1]here[/link]
Old 09-28-2005, 01:40 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

I would estimate the weight of mine at around 2 oz or so but it's so far down in the airplane that I'd have to dissassemble the thing. I found the voltage regulator under the circuit board so I wired a plug into it and power it off my receiver in the plane. It has a 5 volt regulator under the board when you dissassemble it from the case.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:14 AM
critterhunter

Well, took the BP21 Brushless Stryker up with the 800mw 1.2ghz camera for it's second flight in a farm field yesterday. The range did increase and I got some great aerial video. However, depending on which way the plane was in relation to the RX I got constant drop outs. Range and whether the engine was on or off didn't affect the video...it was the position of the plane's body in the air. I'm running the camera/tx off a 9 volt regulator and using a 3 cell lipo as the plane's power source. I've read these 800mw units give great range even without a patch antenna (which I wasn't using). I had the camera/tx mounted under the Stryker with the antenna horizontal going out toward the wing. I suspect the problem is either (A The antenna should be verticle? B) The chrome paint job on the Stryker contains aluminum and was reflecting signal C) The TX is too weak at 9V and needs 12V C) Should have had the Rx antenna horizontal to match the TX position. Either way, at least I got my feet wet and have some good video between the dropouts. I'm amazed at how well the BP21 bird can handle the extra weight without problems. I'd like to go with the patch antenna but believe you need a frequency counter to build one? I don't think you really need one with the 800mw TX but perhaps mine is weak due to all the crashes it took when trying to get it to fly on the Challenger. I did have the RX on a plastic pole. Any suggestions to increase range are welcome.

On the other hand, this 2.4ghz 2000mw unit has caught my interest. Will it give great range without the need of a patch? Still looking for a source where it can be bought in US dollars. I'd also be interested in a source for a cheap yet good camera to replace the CMOS I have...though I'm pretty happy with the picture it gives.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:20 AM
Skycam41

Can you post some video critterhunter? I would try pointing the TX antenna straight down and see if that helps. Experimenting here is the key. I will keep you posted with the HK 2W set up when it arrives. I just used paypal to pay for the purchase and the funds were converted right away, no problems.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:52 AM
bruce_lee

i got mine today in the post, i wired it all up and it works, but my cam hasent come yet, so im going to test it later with camcorder and just walk down street lol, should get an idea how far it wil go..

another thing, when you get yours you will have to strip the metal casing off the tx for sure, because it weighs quite alot

EDIT: and the antenna is cheap tacky so i would replace that straight away i think.. but i dont think it screws on and off , so it wil need modifying but that will be easy enough.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:46 AM
bruce_lee

the antenna looks total pants so im going to replace them, a new whip on transmitter and patch on rec...

check out the photo's
http://www.psp-messenger.co.uk/photos/

just wondering what that little circuit board dose on the antenna...

EDIT: new photos with the case off, it weighs nothing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.