Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Laptop+Decent Range Wireless Camera

Old 05-28-2006, 04:08 PM
phr0zen81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laptop+Decent Range Wireless Camera

Can anybody gimme a few ideas and examples on why pick RF video and not a wireless camera with a laptop for flying
Old 05-28-2006, 05:08 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Laptop+Decent Range Wireless Camera

Yes, I could give you a hundred reasons why the RF video is better. Number one being range, the wireless camera with laptop will have horrible range. The other is size, I dont want to have to deal with a laptop while im flying.... The reasons are endless
Old 06-14-2006, 03:45 PM
ver0776

Ok, I am dumb, don't bash, but what are you guys talking about? What is the difference between RF Video and Wireless cameras? And why can't you use both?

Basically I am using multiple 2.4g wireless cameras (That is RF?), but I can feed the signal into a laptop with Composite->USB cables.

Anyways, my range is horrible, like 30 feet with the receiver indoors and 60 feet if I stick the receiver outside and it is about worthless for FPV on my Stadium racer to drive around my yard.

I have been ready to buy a BWAV 600mw setup, but I have not read anything about people using it for ground vehicles. I know I will still get some reflections, etc, but I would like to confirm you can get a 100 yards or so out of it still.

I have also tried many omni directional antennas on it and none of them are as good as the crap Swann Yagi I have on it (Even in the opposite direction than the Yagi is pointing.)

Any help with upgrading my video would help. I would perfer something cheaper than the BWAV brown bag setups because I don't need much quality or distance compared to the areal videos I have seen, but I want something better than the 3-10mw output that these cheap Swann wireless cameras put out.

Please help!
Thanks,
Vaughn
www.vCrib.com
Old 06-26-2006, 04:02 AM
clp

You might try the 380 line pod camera with the hand held RX. The camera is robust when wrapped in foam. I have seen a few surface videos using this camera. I just bought one that I intend to use on my 1/8 scale warhead truck. I have seen them on savages with .30 engines and pulling some wheelies and the camera never missed a beat. range 1000 feet. web site http://www.microwireless.net/
Old 06-26-2006, 08:52 AM
ver0776

I looked at that camera, nice concept, but here are my problems with it:

1. No stated tansmittion output power.
2. CMOS
3. Pinhole lens (If they were half serious they would have put a real lens on it, not spy crap.
4. 1000 feet claim with nothing to back it up. It was probably obtained with a mega-directional receiver and is the same transmitter that ever camera uses in that category.
5. I've tried to replace the lens on these with with my other standard lens and they would not screw in far enough to focus.

So basically, besides a built in battery and selectable channels, this camera was not meant for RC and is just like Swann's standard products out there.

Now I really wish I was wrong, and would like your feedback after you get this thing hooked up and see what the real world range on the ground is. My fears are since there is no video out on it, if you are not happy with the range, there is no using a different transmitter. I think I would like to keep the two seperate so you can upgrade either without wasting money....

Vaughn