Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

the prefect platform for aerial photography

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

the prefect platform for aerial photography

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 AM
wjglynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: the prefect platform for aerial photography

Here are a few more highlights from the aerial video imbedded in a video being created to promote our charity benefit fly in next month. This one actually has sound and music.

http://rcuvideos.com/item/YBRMS3P1RLZ5B3HT

Bill
Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 AM
S_Dave

Hey, Bill,

Great videos!
Looks like the big red Stick has PLENTY of giddyup when you put the throttle to it. That engine has a very good sound to it.

Our club had an event in June where the county Parks Dept. day camp had Aviation Week and brought over a hundred kids to our flying field. Most of them had never seen a R/C plane before. Our club VP and Flight Instructor, Steve Schott, put on an outstanding display with his 35% Edge airplane. We had demos of electric helicopters and my wireless video equipment. To my surprise, the kids liked the video gear pretty well, too! They got to put on my video goggles and see themselves and their friends on TV as we panned the camera all around. Afterwards, we gave each child a balsa glider to put together. They launched them all at the same time and had a great time. The Parks lady told us later that the next day, they were going to go to Six Flags over Georgia amusement park. The kids said they would rather go back to our field and watch us fly R/C.

Good luck with your event next month and God bless those volunteers who make things like this possible.
Cheers,

Dave
p.s. we appreciate the mild weather you all from the middle U.S. are sending us. Keep it up!
p.p.s The music on the video is good, too.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:29 PM
buzzard350
My Feedback: (2)

Steve- I just found your thread on RC universe- I like your setup, although I think we are yet to arrive at the ideal aerial photography platform,... How did that plane work out- I see that the thread is almost 2 years old, so I am curious. Please post some new results if you have them, and I'll look for other posts under your name. I'm, also involved in PIC programming, and wireless data transfer mainly on a hobby basis, too, so the references to programming the pic caught my eye.
I'd like to hear a bit more about that autopilot. - Paul,
Old 08-18-2008, 09:24 PM
cmoulder

I agree that at least on the hobbyist level the perfect AP platform is yet to be devised, unless one happens to be a hobbyist willing and able to spend megabucks on cutting-edge professional equipment.

Below is a photo of my AP rig, which is also capable of video at 640x480 resolution. The plane is a modified Telemaster Electro with PicoPilot, used strictly line-of-sight, of course, with PP helping to "hit the marks" so to speak. 500mw downlink to Yellowjacket Diversity RX and recorded onto a laptop with Hauppauge WinTV. Flight batteries are 2 TP 3s 4500's that keep it aloft for 25 minutes in winds of 10mph or less, plus batts for Rx, GPS and video.

What I am interested in is digital video of HD quality. I know that there is available in the professional realm very small HD video because I remember seeing a documentary on Nat Geo channel with stunning aerial video of wildebeest herds, made with a tiny drone made to look like a large dragonfly.

Is there any such technology trickling down to us mere mortals?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43882.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1014476  
Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 AM
mike2008

The Lift Master that the video was shot from has a modified OS 160 on it.

It sounds like you have your setup well in hand.
Let me know when you have the antenna ground plane and support built up. I would love to see how yours turns out.
Regards

mike
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______

digital backs family dentistry raleigh
Old 10-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Huntster

http://rcuvideos.com/video/101408-Side-View-wmv

I Velcro my hand held Sony point N shoot camera the W7. I have been able to get some real neat shots. I'd love to get the same quality as these videos but with a video down link so I can fly beyond the flying field, or simply higher and higher and higher.......I might end up finding the limits of the control radio then.....

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91385.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1058952   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cy77431.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	1058953  
Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 AM
davidgeorge212

hey, way back in post 45. Did you ever mention what plane that was you have your camera in? was it a modified arf or kit build? also how good of quality video do you get with that setup? I am tired of that crappy video I get with those fly cam ones and I am looking into getting a real video camera (not just a digital camera) and maybe building a big plane to put it in.

David G.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 PM
S_Dave

Hey, David,

What kind of setup do you currently have?
To date, I have used point-and-shoot camera video recording and dedicated video cameras with wireless xmtrs/rcvrs and find the latter superior. Using the NTSC video output of the point-and-shoot is better than using the video record from same. What have you tried so far?

Dave

Old 12-31-2008, 08:37 AM
davidgeorge212

I havent tried alot but I had a camera similar to the fly cam one (called a cobra) and I put it on a sig 4 star 40 just to see what it would do. It took ok video but nothing great. It was a little fuzzy and didnt adjust well to the change in lighting. I have also tried a cannon 5 mp powershot on my trex 450. I would say that was way better quality, but I did it back when I was learning to fly helis and all I could do was hover it straight up and down. My thought was If I got a dedicated video camera that the quality would just be even greater than a point and shoot camera. maybe im wrong i havent done much research into it. And I will tell you why i havent done many more movies with my cannon camera, its becasue the video mode will only capture 3:00 minutes even and no more.

David
Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
S_Dave

Hmmmm.....only 3 minutes of video makes me wonder if you could get longer record times with a bigger capacity SD memory card.
Do you have a way to record video from a wireless setup? We've been using a little 2.4GHz security camera system that runs off batteries. The receiver (on the ground) has those two RCA video/audio output jacks. If you have a little recorder, you can plug the receiver into your recorder and do it all wireless.

Wish you could see the sweet setup that Steve Mohlmer has. It's like a space shuttle command station. He has diversity receivers, recorders, a nice big display and everything self contained in a Pelican case. His setup is top of the line. Some photos of it early on in this thread.

Dave
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM
davidgeorge212

I dont think its the card because I have a 2 gb card in it and after it gets done recording and shutting off, I can click the button again and it will record another 3 minute long video. 2.4 wireless cameras will not work for me because I run Spketrum and Futaba 2.4 radios. and the wireless camears that I have seen just seem like they have the same quality video as a fly cam 1 or equivilent.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:33 AM
flyhighaway
Banned

SKYARTEC rc helicopter,rc plane.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...V3&search_type
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...na&search_type