Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Lets see some high altitude videos!

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lets see some high altitude videos!

The low fly by vids are cool, but has anyone just flown as high as they can see the plane, and filmed their flying area?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Lets see some high altitude videos!

Here's a high one, about as high as I want to go with the Easystar.

http://media.putfile.com/Easystar-high-one
Old 08-19-2006, 10:57 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

I would post some, but many people here are afraid of heights [:'(]

JettPilot

Old 08-20-2006, 09:26 AM
2thDr

Jett, that's very unlike you........

I say go for it.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:50 PM
kd7ost

An oldie but goody. Not exactly what was asked for but the GPS information is there. It is expressed in meters above sea level so feel free to do the math. I was taking pictures of my buddies Dairy and demonstrating to guys on the ground. I didn't pay attention and flew for an hour. Coincidentaly, that's how much fuel I carried in that plane.

Dan

http://media.putfile.com/Dead-Stick-Landing
Old 08-20-2006, 08:10 PM
W4UAV

Whatever happened to your 110 Rascal, Dan? I know you moved on to the Pegasus after that.

I always liked that greased landing at the end of that flight!
Mike

Electric Twin boom camera plane coming soon!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 PM
kd7ost

I sometimes wish I kept it just to fly for fun. When it was just an RC plane with that Zenoah G26 in there it was sweet to fly. I could get over an hour and a half of screaming around or just putting around at my favorite, grass top level.

Alas, space requirements and the need to fund other projects came up so I sold it and engine, minus radio gear for 400.00. It has a new life as a glider tug in the very capable hands of an old friend.

Dan
Old 08-21-2006, 12:42 AM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: kd7ost

I sometimes wish I kept it just to fly for fun. When it was just an RC plane with that Zenoah G26 in there it was sweet to fly. I could get over an hour and a half of screaming around or just putting around at my favorite, grass top level.

Dan
Thats great ! How much fuel did it carry ? I am working on a smaller, cleaner version of my UAV with a G-26 It holds 24 ounces of gas, I hope that is enough to keep it in the air for an hour. I am getting close to flying it.

JettPilot
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 AM
Mr.Pibb

Here's one I did with my Firebird Freedom. I actually lost sight of my plane unintentionally and had to fly via the downlink till I was able to locate it again. It's awfully hard to see an lcd screen on a camcorder on a sunny day!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...65795744&hl=en

Also a more recent video on my F-27B Stryker. Not as high but there were some low clouds...

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g9...IntoClouds.flv

Old 08-21-2006, 10:44 AM
kd7ost

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

Dan
Thats great ! How much fuel did it carry ? I am working on a smaller, cleaner version of my UAV with a G-26 It holds 24 ounces of gas, I hope that is enough to keep it in the air for an hour. I am getting close to flying it.

JettPilot
I had a 32 oz tank in the plane. Thats what I have in my new plane with the Fuji BT32A. I get an hour with the stock set up there too.

Dan
Old 08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
Motions

Here's one on a Trex 450 which is not easy to see or control at these heights.

[link=http://www.bladebusters.com/videos/Seminole_High_Alt_AP.wmv]Seminole High Alt AP[/link]

Old 08-21-2006, 11:29 AM
JettPilot

ORIGINAL: Mr.Pibb

Here's one I did with my Firebird Freedom. I actually lost sight of my plane unintentionally and had to fly via the downlink till I was able to locate it again.
Thats pretty high for a Firebird [X(] It probably scared you to start seeing static while flying by video, I have been there My guess is that after your heart rate slowed down and the airplane was landed, you wanted to do it again

JettPilot
Old 08-21-2006, 11:34 AM
JettPilot

I had a 32 oz tank in the plane. Thats what I have in my new plane with the Fuji BT32A. I get an hour with the stock set up there too.

Dan
My plane with the Zenoah G-45 has 32 oz and goes about an hour. That plane is over powered, so I usually am flying around at around half throttle or less. There was no way to get 32 oz into the smaller airplane, the 24 barely fit.

How do you like your Fuji 32 ? Ever have any problems with it or have to do maintenance on it ?

JettPilot
Old 08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
Mr.Pibb

The whole incident scared me...and yes I would love to do it again

The plane was a tiny dot in a very bright sky...all it took was for me to look down once and it was gone. I'm just glad I found my way back because I couldn't recognize much in the camera view because of the glare. I just kept circling and trying to see features on the ground that I might recognize.

As you can probably hear I was pushing the limit of the battery...and the transmitter. I've been trying to figure out if there is a way to determine how high I was. The transmitter/rx claim to have 2500' range, but the dropouts were intermittent and I don't think that can be used as a reference. The camera is a Video Pod from microwireless. I believe it is only around 10mW so it is range limited...I built a patch antenna and that helps, but the breakups do happen when I'm that far away or when I'm getting multipath problems near the ground.

I just had the camcorder hanging over my neck and the receiver/patch antenna were tied to my TX. Maybe attaching the camera and antenna to a tripod and putting a hood over the lcd screen would help if I want to try to fly via camera either on purpose or by necessity!
Old 08-21-2006, 01:26 PM
hornetnz

Mr.Pibb...the 2nd link with the stryker doesnt work..is asking for a login
Old 08-21-2006, 01:37 PM
rob10000

Here's mine from last winter. I don't think I was any higher than 399 feet, though.

I find it easier to fly high on a cloudy day, the EZ* stands out better than on a sunny clear day.
[link]http://media.putfile.com/winter-high-altitude[/link]

This was with a hacked CVS camcorder,
the airplane is a Easystar with the stock Speed 400 motor and a 3S lipo.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:47 PM
Mr.Pibb

ORIGINAL: hornetnz

Mr.Pibb...the 2nd link with the stryker doesnt work..is asking for a login
Hmm, I didn't think they required a login to view. I updated the link, does it work now?

Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 PM
W4UAV

ORIGINAL: Motions

Here's one on a Trex 450 which is not easy to see or control at these heights.

[link=http://www.bladebusters.com/videos/Seminole_High_Alt_AP.wmv]Seminole High Alt AP[/link]

Hey I recognize that field! I was there for the heli clinic in 2005! Nice field!
Mike
Old 08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
dzbum
My Feedback: (5)

This one is not exactly mega high but it was not bad for a $25 ebay camera fastened to an easystar with two rubber bands.
[link=http://media.putfile.com/RC-Plane-back-field]Quick flight over the woods[/link]
Old 08-21-2006, 10:40 PM
kd7ost

ORIGINAL: JettPilot

Dan
My plane with the Zenoah G-45 has 32 oz and goes about an hour. That plane is over powered, so I usually am flying around at around half throttle or less. There was no way to get 32 oz into the smaller airplane, the 24 barely fit.

How do you like your Fuji 32 ? Ever have any problems with it or have to do maintenance on it ?

JettPilot
I'm completely satisfied with it. I don't know if you saw this thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552387

That engine has powered along for over 2,000 miles now. I did replace the original stainless steel motor mounts with a new set. I cracked the first set and am sure I did it drilling them out. That's tough stuff to drill but brittle if under stress. Anyhow the new set hasn't cracked. I put a starter spring on it and prefer that over a 120.00 mongo starter and battery with spinner. I don't even use a spinner.

As far as maintenance I've only done a seasonal replacement of stopper, fuel lines and filter in the fuel system but that was just being anal. That's what I do. I have swapped out spark plugs a few times just for S's and G's too. About every 600 miles. No need to again. Just cheap insurance. It runs as strong as when new. The BT32B is supposed to be a little stronger.

I am working on the preliminary design for a lighter AP plane to be built this winter but am dropping a Zenoah G-45 in it along with my brand new Nikon Coolpix 8400.

Dan
Old 08-21-2006, 11:23 PM
JettPilot

You will love the Zenoah G-45. I have around 2000 miles on mine, and I have never even had the plug out. It idles so slow that I have to walk over and hit the kill switch after I land, it will just tick over idle all day and wont stop Gobs of power, good on fuel, and not a single deadstick yet.

JettPilot
Old 08-21-2006, 11:35 PM
kd7ost

My Fuji does that in the Winter up here at 3500 feet surface level. When the air is thicker. I can shut it down with throttle trim in the hot summer, but only after completely closing the carb. The gassers run great and are so much cheaper to run too.

Dan
Old 09-16-2006, 08:55 PM
GAGE308
My Feedback: (4)

hey Mr. Pibb.-
What type of Video setup were you using on that Firebird freedom flight?. and How dioes that Bird do with any weight...and flight in general?..I Have converted an aerobird extreme (the big yellow Bird) Over to all standard elec. and a Brushless Motor. Control rods instead of line and some jumbo landing gear To mount the DV Cam I Mounted under the plane. I Found that although heavier It Just Produced a Way Better Video in the end to use onboard recording BUT I am interested in The Remote piloting Via Wireless Cams.
THX
Gage308
Old 09-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Mr.Pibb

It's a Video Pod from microwireless.net. Not a bad camera, but not great either. It's biggest plus is that it only weighs 1.1 oz and has everything in the pod. The negatives: CMOS sensor not the best, optics suck (I wound up using a lens off an x10 camera that still sucked but not quite as bad), and not real high power (maybe 10 mW?)

The firebird freedom can't handle a whole lot of weight. I managed to lift a 3 1/2 oz setup when I was fooling with an x10 camera. The plane is a little on the unstable side. If you search around you'll find quite a few complaints about it. It tought me to fly, though, so I can't complain too much. Your aerobird extreme is probably more well suited for carrying weight. The firebird freedom is just too under powered for its weight and wing size. It does fly a little better with a 9.6v battery pack, but it still is too flaky. I'm having more fun with my Stryker

When I use my Pod I usually mount it under the plane as well. A 1/2" square of velcro is plenty to hold it!

ORIGINAL: GAGE308

hey Mr. Pibb.-
What type of Video setup were you using on that Firebird freedom flight?. and How dioes that Bird do with any weight...and flight in general?..I Have converted an aerobird extreme (the big yellow Bird) Over to all standard elec. and a Brushless Motor. Control rods instead of line and some jumbo landing gear To mount the DV Cam I Mounted under the plane. I Found that although heavier It Just Produced a Way Better Video in the end to use onboard recording BUT I am interested in The Remote piloting Via Wireless Cams.
THX
Gage308
Old 10-01-2006, 02:20 PM
Mr.Pibb

Here's one using a little eDVR 5-in-1 camera on my Stryker.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...67561181&hl=en

I've gotten higher with my Freedom and my wireless camera, actually just the other day. I was flying using the camera view rather than watching the plane, but the video breaks up a lot because I was near a neighborhood...lots of interference from wifi. I was up higher than my original "high altitude" video as far as I could tell. I hope to push the limits today with that setup in a spot that I've had better luck at. I'll post once I get a video!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.