Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

Threw Easy Star into Canyon & Crash! Onboard Video

Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Threw Easy Star into Canyon & Crash! Onboard Video

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:48 PM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Threw Easy Star into Canyon & Crash! Onboard Video

I got board this afternoon and really wanted to fly. As always by the time I get off work, the wind gets crazy. I wanted to try a new place to fly, so I went to the Canyon where all the Dirt Bikes ride. 1st Video is a crash when I threw her into the Canyon. 30 Seconds long. 2nd Video I decided on a new launch location and got her up, then I dipped her into the Canyon. Nice flight, but you'll see that at one point she drops like 10 feet without warning. I'm very curious about what happen. Any clues? Second vid is about 5 minutes. Here's some pictures of the flight, crash.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...26217128&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...56791738&hl=en
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85080.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	520744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32405.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	520745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64301.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	520746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93508.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	520747  
Old 09-15-2006, 04:05 PM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Threw Easy Star into Canyon & Crash! Onboard Video

I get that sudden drop on ocasion flying around the lake I live on. It's usually windy, with gusts. I think it's a downdraft, or a pocket of air traveling in the same direction as the plane, as the plane flies through it, the airspeed drops instantly, causing the nose to dip, if this air is also going down, you can lose altitude very quick. Also, if a gust hits the plane, it can disrupt the airflow over the wings, inturupting the lift, this can take some time to get re-established.

Best of luck.

I have an easystar, and it is definetly a smoother, more forgiving flier than most, but given the tips and dihedral, wind can be a problem.

Ken
Old 09-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Rj-TailSpin

The Easy Star, I believe, is much like the Twin Star we had. For some reason, the plane tip stalls and dives dramatically. A friend also had one... same thing happened. The power package is too small to really help pull you out of a "death spin" as my friend called it and the rudder is too small to help negate the spin.

It is great bird... very fun to fly, but I would be careful flying it above people etc... Even though you haven't encountered the full "death spin" yet... you will and there is nothing you can do to pull her out.

I fooled around with those small motor planes a bit until I found the Jetti Brushless (few years ago)... now our plances go nearly straight up if required.

Nice videos!

Rob
Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 AM
kd7ost

When wind moves across irregular surfaces it hits places where it rises and sinks. If the ground is flat and smooth it's a non issue. When you have rises and drops in the terrain, the wind does it's best to follow. It creates high pressure and low pressure area's as it moves as well as lifting air and sinking air. The air tries to balance out it's pressure. The air has to be thought of as a fluid. Like following behind a semi tractor trailer on the highway. There is low pressure and high pressure zones in the trucks wake. These compound or increase in intensity as the wind gets faster or change directions, the terrain gets more radical or to a lesser extent the temperature makes large swings.

What sucks is an image in the video of the crash into the bush. There's garbage in there.

Dan
Old 09-17-2006, 01:21 PM
darenm
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for all the info. It explains allot. Ya people don't take care of the land, the bad thing is, that's one of the cleanest spots in the canyon.