Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Cheap cameras not available!!!!

Old 01-16-2003, 05:46 PM
Fastsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap cameras not available!!!!

Hi all. I want to try onboard video taping but I live in Canada and the Aiptek cameras aren't available up here and the store won't ship to Canada. The alternative seems to be to go to a more common brand name. That way at least I would be able to order the camera I want even if it isn't in stock at the time. So I would appreciate any comments about larger brand name cameras that have been tried. What brands works good, and which brands not so good.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:07 PM
mr.rc-cam

The only two low costs DC's I can recommend are the Aiptek Mini PenCam 1.3 and the Mustek GSmart Mini-2 or Mini-3. These cameras are tiny, lighweight, and 1.3 - 2.1 megapixel.

All the other sub $100 digital cameras that I have seen, that are small/lightweight, are lowly VGA resolution (640 x 480). Be careful, some cameras advertise Megapixel resolution, but are really VGA with software interpolation.

About 1.3 MP (true imager resolution) seems to be the minimum for decent hobby aerial photography.

If you expect to create AVI movies with these cameras then please be advised that the frame rate is very slow and the video will be very jerky. AVI resolution is quite low too.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:10 PM
ilrcflyboy
My Feedback: (5)

I've gotta ask....
Do you guys disassemble the Aiptek camera and mount it in a box or something? What triggers the shutter?

I have one of these in a desk drawer because they don't have the resolution my HP (crap) camera has.

Maybe I can mount it in the high wing for some beautiful field shots.
Old 01-16-2003, 07:22 PM
mr.rc-cam

I just did a web search for Aiptek and found a couple of Canadian vendors. Just search Google for "Aiptek PenCam Canada"

This was one possible hit:
http://www.neutroncanada.com/

Aiptek offers several cameras. Most folks are using the Mini Pencam 1.3 (not the SD). Avoid the VGA models.

What triggers the shutter?
Servo or electronic circuit. Lots of info is avail on the web, including a project (CamMan) shown on the RC-CAM web site.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:58 PM
BP5589
My Feedback: (4)

Fastsky,
You might look at the Dragonfly Eye-Cam, I just got one and they are from Canada. It isn't cheap but it seems like a very good set-up. There is a review by Erik Royer here on RCU. I have not mounted mine yet, I'm trying to figure out how to mount it inside a plane to protect it somewhat but I don't want to cut a hole in the windshield. I am debating between putting it in either my DP Ultimate, Sig 4*60 or a H9 Taylorcraft.
Good Luck,
Bill
Old 01-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Fastsky

Thankx for the info. I checked out the Neutron site and it says that it wants $42.00 for shipping! I think its just a mistake because the other cameras have shipping at $14.00. I will check out some of the other Canadian sites and the Dragon fly cam as well. Thankx again.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:05 PM
CubRanger

Default RE: Cheap cameras not available!!!!

I just started using the Tony Hawk helmet Cam. It shoots decent video if the light is good. Still photos captured from video are blurry though. $50 from Best Buy.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 PM
questtek

If you look under a topic in this forum called Disposable cameras, I just posted a link on a sub$30 digital video camera that can often be purchased for $19 with coupons. It needs to be unlocked via a software hack and can be modified from its origional 5 oz. weight to a mere 2 0z. Not to repeat all the info I posted but if you find this of interest you might go under Blogs and my site, questtek at www.rcgroups.com

It certainly is an inexpensive way to get into airborn video. By the way, they also have digital still cameras that can be unlocked that start at $14 and can be purchased for as little as $9 with a store coupon. The pictures below show this 25 picture digital still "disposable" camera. It can also be cut down and powered by the 5 vdc from a spare receiver plug.

The pics show the "stock" and modified digital video and digital still camera, front and back views...including color LCD!

Hope this helps, Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39165.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	561930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13742.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	561931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55500.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	561932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tn31821.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	561933  
Old 11-17-2006, 10:53 PM
crazymustang

dear questtek, its very interesting to see these little cameras, but one question, how do you convert/modify the shutter from the servo, i have seen some cheap camera/video cam from best buy, but dont know how to convert these cams to work with the servo , can you help me with it ?? or can somebody help me wiht this ? thanks very much

ORIGINAL: questtek

If you look under a topic in this forum called Disposable cameras, I just posted a link on a sub$30 digital video camera that can often be purchased for $19 with coupons. It needs to be unlocked via a software hack and can be modified from its origional 5 oz. weight to a mere 2 0z. Not to repeat all the info I posted but if you find this of interest you might go under Blogs and my site, questtek at www.rcgroups.com

It certainly is an inexpensive way to get into airborn video. By the way, they also have digital still cameras that can be unlocked that start at $14 and can be purchased for as little as $9 with a store coupon. The pictures below show this 25 picture digital still "disposable" camera. It can also be cut down and powered by the 5 vdc from a spare receiver plug.

The pics show the "stock" and modified digital video and digital still camera, front and back views...including color LCD!

Hope this helps, Joe
Old 12-03-2006, 05:18 PM
pache11
My Feedback: (6)

A servo with the arm pushing against the shutter button is all that is needed. Sometimes you need a bellcrank. It is really easy if you make a small plywood board for the camera and servo mount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14841.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	571186