Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

PAL vs. NTSC for FPV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Mach62

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAL vs. NTSC for FPV?

I would like to get the AVS system sold my rangevideo.com to use in my model aircraft with video goggles. They offer two formats - PAL and NTSC. I have a few questions.

1) What is the difference between PAL and NTSC formats for my purposes? I want the image to be as stable as possible does this mean that I should choose NTSC? Does it depend on what video goggles I buy?

2) Can you suggest a set of decent quality video gogles that I can use with this equipment? (under 400 USD)

Thanks.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:51 PM
DebianDog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PAL vs. NTSC for FPV?

North America is NTSC. PAL is Europe and most of the rest of the world.

I had goggles but switched to a mobile monitor. (5" LCD mounted over the radio) so I am no help there.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
kd7ost

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601725
Old 11-27-2006, 12:39 AM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

PAL seems to be a better standard, but I would NOT use it. PAL is not compatible with anything here in the states, and having equipment that will not work with anything you have or that can be bought here is a BAD idea.

Get NTSC, I use it for all my FPV and it works great. Not worth the hassle to maybe get an imperceptable increase in quality.

JettPilot
Old 02-25-2008, 08:37 PM
CRAZY RC hobby guy

i got this goggle
http://helihobby.com/html/eyetop.htm...em+and+Go+Back
Old 02-29-2008, 08:27 AM
kazakore

As people have said on both this and the other thread stick with the standard that is local to you and your customer base, for you that will be NTSC. You would probably find it hard to tell the difference between them with the quality of the camera headend you are likely to get in those units anyway and you want to avoid confusing matters as much as possible. Plus you would loose quality converting it to NTSC to view at home (if you ever choose to record your flights) and thus loose the small advantages gained by the technology used in the PAL system.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 AM
JMSTECH

doesn't that mess you up when your one eye is "trying" to focus on the flying by video, while the other eye is watching the plane/heli fly from the ground?