Community
Search
Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

Sports Camera - Could We Use It?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 06:05 PM
ripper-911

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Camera - Could We Use It?

http://www.sportzshot.com/helmetcamera-mounts.php

Hi Guys. I stumbled across the site link above and it looks interesting for this aspect of the hobby. I am intereseted in your opinions. Take a look at the 580 line camera specs. Me thinks it only weighs 1 oz???

I like the basic mounting system it shows as I am considering mounting it on my 46% Ultimate.

What do you Guys think??
Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM
someonesaid

Default RE: Sports Camera - Could We Use It?

I like the camera, but what do you plan to use to record the video? I figured since you had one good idea, you should be good for more. We call this team work...

Really, I am interested. A radio downlink to a recorder, or do you have a very small recorder in mind? Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:47 PM
ripper-911

Well, the camera has an interface cable that ends in a standard phono type connection to a camcorder so all that needs to be done is to purchase an airborne wireless transmitterand cut the end off the plug that comes with the camera then solder on a connector that plugs into the wireless transmitter connector like this one: http://www.rangevideo.com/900mhz_500mw.html
You can either solder them together or use another plug so that you can detach the camera from the transmitter as required.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:42 AM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

1.9 oz, $300 is a lot for any video camera. It's over twice what a comparable KT&c camera is. The specs are impressive though. It dosn't look like a kt&c camera, as the diamiter is wrong. For a big plane, with $300, there are a lot of mini dv cameras that will record on tape right there. They will give much better results than you will see through a downlink.

As far as tv lines go, esp for recording through a video downlink, it will be dificult to see a differance with anything over ~420 lines. The ability of the board to handle back lighting, speed of shutter adjustment, and color balance stability all make more differance than raw tv lines for flying. These specs are very hard to get and even harder to understand, so everyone prints tv lines, and lux figures.

I will look at some specs and see if I can figure out who makes it. I bet it can be had for $150 or less from the right vendor.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:55 PM
ripper-911

Hi Lupy. The on board video camera sounds much better for my plane.
What can you suggest for the lightest, best quality video recorder?
I wanted to mount it facing backwards on the turtledeck right behind the canopy.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:32 AM
lupy
My Feedback: (3)

in a mini dv tape camera, which will give you the best pic for the $$. The canon ZR-500 is around $200, it's around 1lb. Might need some vibration damping for the record mech. already has steady shot. I own one, but haven't flown it. It's fit and finish feels a little cheap, but it's a lot of camera for $200

As far as card recording cameras, there are some that do good video and some that don't. cheap cameras, sub $100, with cmos boards will give odd results which you probably won't like. ~200+ range still cameras with 640X480 30 fps video modes: Some will work, around 5-6oz, don't have a favorite, but do some searches here, there is a lot of info. The video can be pretty good, but is more compressed than you will see with a dv camcorder.

Best of luck!